Greg McDermott on KXNO today at

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I laugh every time Jim Boyd comes on with the "KXNO news...now".

He's so NFL Films-sih. Love it.

Is he the morning news guy?

Maybe I'm going deaf - but somebody needs to tell him to speak up, or turn the music down. He's so low toned and the way he speaks, the end of his sentences just trail off into incompreshension and I can't understand what they hell he's saying...

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Is he the morning news guy?

Maybe I'm going deaf - but somebody needs to tell him to speak up, or turn the music down. He's so low toned and the way he speaks, the end of his sentences just trail off into incompreshension and I can't understand what they hell he's saying...

It's not you. I've noticed that too.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
It's good to see I wasn't the only one who converted to the light! I grew up a Hawk fan, but went to ISU, graduated in Spring 01. I still however legitimately cheered for both teams until the football season of 2002. Once our season tanked the amount of **** I got from Hawkeye fans completed eliminated my ability to wish anything good for Iowa's athletic program. And I don't just mean the usual **** talking, these people were downright pricks about it. From the on out is was nothing but disdain on my part for EIU.

I know what you mean. Its hard to still root for the Hawks after the treatment you get from some Hawk fans.

But the rest of my family are still die-hard Hawkeyes, and are pretty good about cheering for the Clones too (when they're not playing Iowa). I just try to ignore all the crazies as much as I can.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
It's good to see I wasn't the only one who converted to the light! I grew up a Hawk fan, but went to ISU, graduated in Spring 01. I still however legitimately cheered for both teams until the football season of 2002. Once our season tanked the amount of **** I got from Hawkeye fans completed eliminated my ability to wish anything good for Iowa's athletic program. And I don't just mean the usual **** talking, these people were downright pricks about it. From the on out is was nothing but disdain on my part for EIU.

I too am a convert. I took all 5 of my immediate family members with me as well as my wife.

I haven't been able to wish anything good for the Hawks since about 1998. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Sounds about right. I started at ISU in '89 and was dumb enough to think I could cheer for both and actually be semi-neutral in the head to heads.

That lasted til about week 4, when we played our first game against iowa. The students and fans that came to Ames that weekend made a less than desireable impression. Never really looked back. Add to that I grew up in black and gold hell of Dubuque - so many times when I go home, my disdain is reinforced by somebody...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Converted as well - was hard-core Iowa, went to ISU and was a Cyclone fan within a month or so.

We are the Cyclones. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Was born and raised a cyclone. Hawkhater since I was probably 4 or 5. Increasing Nebraska and Kansas hater.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
The jury is still out on Lickliter. I at least like that he called out the Iowa fans admitting that he wants to be more like ISU.

I couldn't be more happy with Todd Lickliter at Iowa, and I think he and Mac are going to make things real fun in the winters again real soon. I dont know that the jury is still out on Todd, he was voted the National Coach of the Year last year by his peers.

Like Mac, it's going to take time to get the smell out of the program to where they can do what they do best; teach and coach with a competitive hand.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I couldn't be more happy with Todd Lickliter at Iowa, and I think he and Mac are going to make things real fun in the winters again real soon. I dont know that the jury is still out on Todd, he was voted the National Coach of the Year last year by his peers.

Like Mac, it's going to take time to get the smell out of the program to where they can do what they do best; teach and coach with a competitive hand.

I agree he's got great creditentials, but think the jury is still out for some Hawk fans. Granted, he has gotten a couple decent wins with little on the shelf.

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
The jury is still out on GMAC also. I'm not saying that he won't succeed as that is what I hope with every day. But there is nothing coaching wise that we can hang our hat on so far.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Converted as well - was hard-core Iowa, went to ISU and was a Cyclone fan within a month or so.

Same here. Die-hard Iowa before I went to college...realized the error of my ways...die-hard cyclone now.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

The jury is definitely still out as he has only coached a few games and they haven't been successful. Recruiting and coaching at Butler is a little different than recruiting and coaching in the Big 10. I think he will be successful but for anyone to say that the jury isn't still out on him isn't right.

Same goes for McDermott, the jury is still out. The signs that he will be successful are there but we obviously aren't there yet.

EatemupISU

Oct 19, 2006
Ankeny

Man, you are so right about 2002. That season was miserable and amount of Hawk trash-talking that went on was unbelievable. It seemed like they were almost more giddy about our tank job than the fact that they went 11-1. "Scoreboard" didn't even work as a comeback. That season was definitely the genesis of the "super bowl" myth.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az

When you pay someone that much of your hard earned dough its tough to not change sides! Plus the two pieces of paper on my wall say ISU!

CyBandCG

Dec 11, 2006
Ames, IA
There are quite a few converts, I am one also. Grew up in CR, I loved Dr. Tom was very sad to see him leave, plus I grew up to hate Michigan. My family would have a huge get together for the Iowa-Michigan game every year. Then I came to ISU, took me a year of college here in Ames to finally fully convert, I think beating the Hawks in 2001 and then being in IC for that game in 2002 sealed the deal for me.

DMBclone

Nov 27, 2006
Kansas City, MO
When you pay someone that much of your hard earned dough its tough to not change sides! Plus the two pieces of paper on my wall say ISU!

My family lives in Cedar Rapids. Now my father always says I was an Iowa fan, but now my money (for me and my brother) goes to ISU. I root for ISU now

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
There are times when some Cy-Hawk issues get under my skin, I won't like to you.

But if you can't tell, I am a BIG fan of Coach McDermott, Coach Sanderson and Coach Fennelly, and it's not an act in the least bit. I don't know the FB coaches yet.

Do you mean you don't know them personally and that's why you're not a big fan? Or just haven't seen their success yet to become a fan.