Gazette Article About Barnes

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I disagree, if he goes to UNC or Duke he will just be another McD all american and if he doesn't pan out - no one will notice there, compare that to ISU. If he is not able to live up to expectations from Day 1.

That's not true. Barnes isn't just a McD AA, he is a top 5 recruit. Top 5 recruits have been top 10 picks in the NBA draft the past couple years.

If he fails, anywhere, he would be noticed

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
And if you were a Duke fan - you'd tell him to go there. And so on.

We have our Cyclone blinders on, of course he "should" go here and this is the "best" fit.

Umm well if I was a Duke fan and Barnes grew up in a local high school, his dad played for Duke and Duke needed a solid player to restore the basketball tradition then I would definitely go to Duke.

If I was a Duke fan and Barnes grew up in Ames instead, his dad played for Iowa State and Duke has a solid tradition in basketball already, I could care less about Barnes.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
If I was a Duke fan and Barnes grew up in Ames instead, his dad played for Iowa State and Duke has a solid tradition in basketball already, I could care less about Barnes.

I am sure if you were a Duke fan you would love Harrison Barnes on your team. Did you take a crazy pill this morning?

farmerbrent

Feb 29, 2008
One thing I noticed at the KU game: All of the numbers of superstar players from Kansas still being worn. Paul Pierce's 34 and Raef's 45, ect. These were KU icons. I know that KU needs to be pretty picky on retiring numbers, because there would be few to pick from otherwise. But my point is, I wonder if Harrison looked up in Hilton Saturday and pictured the spot his jersey would be hanging to be remembered forever. We honestly should put it up there right now. As good as he could be for Kansas, that just won't happen. I know it's a lot of pressure, but the great ones thrive on that. He is a great one.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I know I've been guilty of putting a lot of weight on HB's choice. I just think if he comes here it would get people excited about the basketball program again and would help us is in so many other areas. The pressure wouldn't really get to him here more than anywhere else.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
That's not true. Barnes isn't just a McD AA, he is a top 5 recruit. Top 5 recruits have been top 10 picks in the NBA draft the past couple years.

If he fails, anywhere, he would be noticed

Great point. Fans of all the schools - UNC, Duke, KU, etc. are talking about him constantly. Those fans bases will get ugly if he doesn't perform to expectations. Our fan base is much more caring, and loyal, and he knows it.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I know I've been guilty of putting a lot of weight on HB's choice. I just think if he comes here it would get people excited about the basketball program again and would help us is in so many other areas. The pressure wouldn't really get to him here more than anywhere else.

Yeah I agree, his commitment might take some pressure off the search for the defensive coordinator. :wink:

Gizmo

Mar 11, 2006
Urbandale
We all need to chill a little. Harrison already knows the ISU community wants him and will support him if he comes to ISU. He just has to decide if that is what he wants. It won't be our salvation if he comes and it won't be our downfall if he does not. Maybe we need to act a little like we deserve to get a recruit of his caliber and not be constantly denigrating our coaching staff, players, fans, the loss of Hilton Magic, etc. Lets have some Cyclone pride and hope that Harrison wants to share his future with us in the Big 12 by hanging another conference championship banner from the rafters. Call me Pollyanna today.

Reactions: Balrog

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
if i were HB i would go to Iowa!!:wink:

if you were HB you wouldn't be a 5 star national recruit. :biglaugh:

The basic reason I want HB to commit to Iowa State is Cyclone Fanatic. :yes::cute: There have been some upbeat stuff on this website over the past years, but there's been a lot of negative stuff too. I just want something this big to wash over these boards and give every Cyclone fan on here something to cheer about and get really excited about for a change.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
We all need to chill a little. Harrison already knows the ISU community wants him and will support him if he comes to ISU. He just has to decide if that is what he wants. It won't be our salvation if he comes and it won't be our downfall if he does not. Maybe we need to act a little like we deserve to get a recruit of his caliber and not be constantly denigrating our coaching staff, players, fans, the loss of Hilton Magic, etc. Lets have some Cyclone pride and hope that Harrison wants to share his future with us in the Big 12 by hanging another conference championship banner from the rafters. Call me Pollyanna today.

Dear Pollyanna,
I couldn't agree with you more! Frankly, I wish I had posted this. Color me, impressed with you and thank you!:notworthy:

cycoticfan

Dec 14, 2008
Johnston IA
Anybody seen anything on what his dad has advised? probably just enjoy recruiting and make your best choice...... His dad was the one player Johnny considered his first recruiting gem. Lets hope the legacy factor kicks in.