Garrett Careless in the Clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I am literally floored that people are criticizing DG. He is our best player by a mile, and the best ISU PG I have seen not named Tinsley.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I am literally floored that people are criticizing DG. He is our best player by a mile, and the best ISU PG I have seen not named Tinsley.

I move that we end this thread. This young man has done far too much for Iowa State basketball to continue it, and at least half the posts are positive thoughts about him anyway.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Why? He was the point guard......he still holds the ISU record for assists, and set the Big 8 record. That sounds like an off-guard?

He was a 2 a lot of the time in the NBA because of a guy named Stockton but not in college.

Admittedly, most of the time I watched Hornacek was in the NBA, which is why I think of him that way.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Admittedly, most of the time I watched Hornacek was in the NBA, which is why I think of him that way.

Yeah, when he became a shooting guard in the NBA a lot of people forgot how good a point guard he had been in college. He did play some point for Phoenix and Philly but most people remember his time on Utah best.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Not sure I would agree with this.
WB really couldn't create his own shot since he shot a set shot pretty much.
I just feel like Blalock could drive and find people at ease better then DG. DG probably beats him on the jump shot, but Blalock beats DG on the driving and finishing and passing. Blalock could also dunk easy money and he was only about 6'0. I have seen DG dunk once in my life.

roosh

Dec 13, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
DG has been, IMO, the most frustrating player ISU has had in a long time. He has a lot of talent, but takes some bad shots and makes some bad plays. He has trouble staying dialed in all game. He scores 22 pts on 25 shots...

He does make some great plays and hit some clutch shots. OK, a lot of clutch shots. And without him, ISU is nowhere near 13 wins. Did anyone else imagine ISU would even have an outside at an NCAA bid halfway through the year? I know I didn't!

He is a "net positive" in most games at a minimum, if not all, but MAN! Just pass up that semi-open 3 in transition and set the GD offense!

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
There's a reason the color commentator in the KU game did nothing but talk up DG. He is the heart of this team and the driving force behind our offense. Still floors me that people want to do nothing but criticize him.

ISUPoker

Apr 21, 2009
Chicago
I never understood the hate for DG, but LOVE for Colvin. DG was never as bad as Colvin was.

Is DG perfect? No. But he's improved every single season he's been here, there's no arguing that. Most of all, he's been a COMMITTED Cyclone. When everyone else has jumped ship, he's remained constant and has worked extremely hard over the years and it's shown.

He'll go down as one of my favorite Cyclones. Did you know he is the first (and only as of right now) recruit of the GM era who has stayed for ALL 4 YEARS? That says a lot about his character.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's clear from the yin-yang in this thread, DG is the Austen Arnaud of ISU MBB this season.*

That probably crystalizes it better than anything else.

*I don't think I'm the first person to make that comparison.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
DG's come up empty a few times this season at the end of a game, but without him we're nowhere near 13 wins at the halfway point of the season. I think that part of being a clutch player is getting the reps. Outside of the KSU game last year, he hasn't ever been asked to be the guy down the stretch. Considering how hard he's worked during his ISU career, I would assume he's learning from every mistake and it'll pay off with some late game heroics at some point this season.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I just feel like Blalock could drive and find people at ease better then DG. DG probably beats him on the jump shot, but Blalock beats DG on the driving and finishing and passing. Blalock could also dunk easy money and he was only about 6'0. I have seen DG dunk once in my life.

Dunking is what makes someone a good point guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.