Game of Thrones Season 8

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I think this is true with LOTR. I've read that series so many times and love it, but there are plenty of moments where Tolkien rambles on about the scenery that will make me do that "ah hell, I just read that page and don't remember what I just read" thing and have to re-read it.

The scenery parts was okay for me, however every time I saw italicized paragraphs, which were often songs, I had to skip those.

I tried to read The Silmarillion several times and couldn't get into it.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
When I first started reading the series, I made notes/family trees. Now, we have ASIOF wiki which I would use as a reference to reading. I honestly don't know how anyone could read LOTR. As a huge fantasy ready, it had to be the most boring writing from my perspective.
Well here I am!! I love Tolkien. I think @VeloClone might feel similarly, so I don't think I'm alone. I am, however, cognizant that different people like different things. I am not triggered. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you agree with Michael Moorcock's famous critique and can't stand reading about how King Arglebargle reigned for 100 years.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Anyone else think the books get a free pass due to the time it's been since most have read them?

My immediate feelings after reading the books wasn't real positive. I thought the last two were a mess the Martin was struggling to rein in.

You're not wrong.

The original manuscript for A Feast for Crows got so long that it had to be split into two books, and instead of doing the obvious thing - splitting the book into two parts at the middle, he split them up by character, forcing anyone that wants to read the books chronologically to find an online reading guide to read both books simultaneously the way it should be read. That's the first problem.

The second problem is he's rumored to have written himself into so many corners that he's going to have to Deus ex Machina the hell out of the rest of the series to complete it. Might be why it's taken so long to get to The Winds of Winter - he doesn't know how to fix the mess he's made for himself.

• Agree
Reactions: ThatllDoCy

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Well here I am!! I love Tolkien. I think @VeloClone might feel similarly, so I don't think I'm alone. I am, however, cognizant that different people like different things. I am not triggered. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you agree with Michael Moorcock's famous critique and can't stand reading about how King Arglebargle reigned for 100 years.

Given its time, it was revolutionary, the style was just not for me.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The only times I can read without falling asleep are on the shitter and running on the treadmill.

You can read while running on a treadmill?

I thought it sounded like a good idea until I tried it. After struggling to focus enough to read, my foot then clipped the side of the machine and I almost ended up in a big pile of Cooler.

Reading is hard.

• Funny
Reactions: SolarGarlic

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
You don't my opinion on Dorne - Iron Islands - Tyrion in Essos from the books, but I'll tell you anyway. They suck. It's pointless. Story would have been way better without them, and it's a big reason why I never even finished ADWD.

ADWD had really good chapters, especially the northern ones. The Theon chapters describing the conspiracies and distrust between the Boltons/Freys/Manderlies/Umbers with the Ghost of Winterfell murders were great. They were a lot better than the Bolton garbage we got in the show.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
You don't my opinion on Dorne - Iron Islands - Tyrion in Essos from the books, but I'll tell you anyway. They suck. It's pointless. Story would have been way better without them, and it's a big reason why I never even finished ADWD.
Yooooooo you lost me with the not liking Tyrion in Essos storyline... we could throw fists on that one hahah. I wanted Tyrion to see The Old Man of The River in the show so bad. Dorne's storyline in the books isn't great, but far better than the Dorne storyline in the show, and I think there will be characters that have a bigger part to play in the grand scheme of things in the books. Could be wrong though, or we could never find out, who knows!!

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yooooooo you lost me with the not liking Tyrion in Essos storyline... we could throw fists on that one. I wanted Tyrion to see The Old Man of The River in the show so bad. Dorne's storyline in the books isn't great, but far better than the Dorne storyline in the book, and I think there will be characters that have a bigger part to play in the grand scheme of things in the books. Could be wrong though, or we could never find out, who knows!!

I'm assuming you meant to say "Dorne's storyline in the books isn't great, but far better than the Dorne storyline in the show". And I would agree. Dorne's storyline in the books confused me until Doran laid out his elaborate, long run endgame, then everything made sense. In the show Doran is a pathetic loser, Aryanne doesn't even exist, and the Sand Snakes are the real power of Dorne. It was just really disappointing.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'm assuming you meant to say "Dorne's storyline in the books isn't great, but far better than the Dorne storyline in the show". And I would agree. Dorne's storyline in the books confused me until Doran laid out his elaborate, long run endgame, then everything made sense. In the show Doran is a pathetic loser, Aryanne doesn't even exist, and the Sand Snakes are the real power of Dorne. It was just really disappointing.
You're correct, I meant far better than the dorne storyline in the show. Yeah, it was a bit all over the place at first but things started to take shape especially, like you said, after Doran laid out his plan.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Anyone else think the books get a free pass due to the time it's been since most have read them?

My immediate feelings after reading the books wasn't real positive. I thought the last two were a mess the Martin was struggling to rein in.

First 3 were great. The last two were still well written but he started losing the story. And they each were missing real endings.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
If you want any indication of how the writing has fared since the book material ran out... look no further than the Dorne storyline. That was supposed to be D&D's first "baby" and they completely ****** it up.

Not all of it is as bad as some make it seem, but there has certainly been a drop off.

To be fair Dorne was quite bad in the books as well. Probably a good idea to cut their losses. Enjoyed watching the sand snakes die.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Doran’s end game was terrible in the books too. Wait until everyone who wronged you was already dead, then get revenge. “Fire and blood!”

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
To be fair Dorne was quite bad in the books as well. Probably a good idea to cut their losses. Enjoyed watching the sand snakes die.

I disagree with the first part. I completely agree with your last sentence.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I was just mad how they wasted Areo Hotah. In the books he easily kills a member of the kingsguard and in the show he said to Jamie something about how when Jamie (one of the top 3-5 fighters in the realm) had his hand it might’ve been a good fight. Then he goes out like a complete ***** without much of a fight.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron