Game of Thrones Season 8

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Doran’s end game was terrible in the books too. Wait until everyone who wronged you was already dead, then get revenge. “Fire and blood!”

You’re right - it was a terrible plan. Plan A depended on Viserys not mouthing off to Kahl Drago and getting himself killed in the process; Plan B depended on Quentyn Martell not attempting to steal one of Dany’s dragons and getting eaten in the process. But as bad as the plan was, at least book Doran had a plan. What was show Doran’s plan? Brood in his wheelchair the rest of his life and do nothing so the Lannisters don’t invade Dorne and assume nobody in Dorne, especially the Sand Snakes, don’t turn on him? How’d that strategy work out?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
You’re right - it was a terrible plan. Plan A depended on Viserys not mouthing off to Kahl Drago and getting himself killed in the process; Plan B depended on Quentyn Martell not attempting to steal one of Dany’s dragons and getting eaten in the process. But as bad as the plan was, at least book Doran had a plan. What was show Doran’s plan? Brood in his wheelchair the rest of his life and do nothing so the Lannisters don’t invade Dorne and assume nobody in Dorne, especially the Sand Snakes, don’t turn on him? How’d that strategy work out?

Yeah, it certainly wasn’t Dr. Bashir’s finest hour.

I think they initially had more plans for Dorne but decided to give up on them after they passed the books and they realized it fell flat in season five.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
6ulpe8349kx21.jpg

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I feel like Episode 4 gave Dany a chance. I feel like she has been through so much now that her resisting burning down KL could turn her into a true queen.

I suspect it’s just me being a contrarian, but I’ve always been against the grain on Dany and now I think she has the ability to make one hard choice and change the future of Westeros.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well here I am!! I love Tolkien. I think @VeloClone might feel similarly, so I don't think I'm alone. I am, however, cognizant that different people like different things. I am not triggered. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you agree with Michael Moorcock's famous critique and can't stand reading about how King Arglebargle reigned for 100 years.
I'm not reading this thread, since I have not gotten this far in the series, however, as mentioned, I love Tolkien. When reading it in junior high school I skipped a lot of the songs and got lost in a lot of the lore, but as I read it again I found it fleshed out the story and made it seem more rich and real*.

*Yeah, I know it is fantasy.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
ADWD had really good chapters, especially the northern ones. The Theon chapters describing the conspiracies and distrust between the Boltons/Freys/Manderlies/Umbers with the Ghost of Winterfell murders were great. They were a lot better than the Bolton garbage we got in the show.

"The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers and the mummer's farce is almost done."

That scene right there might be Martin's best.

• Agree
Reactions: ThatllDoCy

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
So the prophecy the witch told Cersi is she would rule until another younger more beautiful came along, is that tonight? I don't think I have ever been this nervous about a damn TV show.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
For all those saying all week that Dany wasn't going mad.....

How about now?

Going mad or just flat out pissed? I find no fault with that effort other then I would have blasted the keep REALLY soon after breaching the wall... And it sends a message that she will be a kinder, gentler ruler and if you can't see her compassion, you must perish.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt