Game of Thrones Season 8

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
No way dude. In the book he sacrifices virgins on his boats, has a bunch of mutes for crew members, hints that he could have possibly studied with the 3ER, and has a horn that is supposed to bind Dragons to him.

He is much more than just a ***** chasing pirate.
Yeah, and the accounts of him via the Victarion story and other discussions about him in other chapters.. He's a badass who is known all across westeros and essos, and people are either terrified of him or bend to his will.

"Tell the Crow's Eye he's afraid of kinslaying and he'll murder one of his own sons just to prove you wrong."

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Some friends and I have a dead pool going. I think my picks for the week are:
Mountain, Hound, Varys, Qyburn, Eron, Greyworm and Cersi.

Considering adding Jamie.

But I have a 3 point lead so no need to get crazy because I think there will still be some deaths in the final.

Reactions: Doc

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No way dude. In the book he sacrifices virgins on his boats, has a bunch of mutes for crew members, hints that he could have possibly studied with the 3ER, and has a horn that is supposed to bind Dragons to him.

Book Euron is such a badass that rumor is he's already met Dany - as Daario Naharis.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone and Doc

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Ha. I actually had him confused with Victarian.

I guess when it’s been damn near a decade between books, it’s harder to remember the difference between Greyjoy uncles.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Ha. I actually had him confused with Victarian.

I guess when it’s been damn near a decade between books, it’s harder to remember the difference between Greyjoy uncles.

Victarion wants to bang Dany so he can get revenge on his brother (Euron) who banged his wife.... Who Victarion had to then kill because of the shame.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Anyone else think the books get a free pass due to the time it's been since most have read them?

My immediate feelings after reading the books wasn't real positive. I thought the last two were a mess the Martin was struggling to rein in.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Anyone else think the books get a free pass due to the time it's been since most have read them?

My immediate feelings after reading the books wasn't real positive. I thought the last two were a mess the Martin was struggling to rein in.

I think this is true with LOTR. I've read that series so many times and love it, but there are plenty of moments where Tolkien rambles on about the scenery that will make me do that "ah hell, I just read that page and don't remember what I just read" thing and have to re-read it.

I haven't read the GRRM books yet. I tried starting them when I started watching up on GOT in 2017 (I was late to the party). I struggled with the books at the time because I wasn't in the mindset to get into the in-depth history and sort through the names and houses. I'm hoping some of the lineage pieces fit together a little easier since I'm planning on tackling them later this year.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I think this is true with LOTR. I've read that series so many times and love it, but there are plenty of moments where Tolkien rambles on about the scenery that will make me do that "ah hell, I just read that page and don't remember what I just read" thing and have to re-read it.

I haven't read the GRRM books yet. I tried starting them when I started watching up on GOT in 2017 (I was late to the party). I struggled with the books at the time because I wasn't in the mindset to get into the in-depth history and sort through the names and houses. I'm hoping some of the lineage pieces fit together a little easier since I'm planning on tackling them later this year.

No joke, I just started a re-read of LOTR and am having the exact same experience. I've read more than half of the first book and they aren't even out of the shire.

The GOT books will definitely be a lot easier to read after having the context of the show. I struggled with all the names/houses/lands on my first read. They're worth it, I'll read however may books he gets out, but I do think there is a little bit of selective memory when people compare their quality to the show.

• Disagree
Reactions: IaState2021

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
When I first started reading the series, I made notes/family trees. Now, we have ASIOF wiki which I would use as a reference to reading. I honestly don't know how anyone could read LOTR. As a huge fantasy ready, it had to be the most boring writing from my perspective.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
POV characters from book 1, AGOT:

Tyrion, Dany, Jon, Sansa, Arya, Bran, +Eddard and Catelyn.

In reflection, no surprise that in the end we have gone full circle and they are the main protagonists.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The focus is different from the books to the show, and IMO, the quality plummets going from book 3 to 4. First 3 are as good as fantasy can get though.
If you want any indication of how the writing has fared since the book material ran out... look no further than the Dorne storyline. That was supposed to be D&D's first "baby" and they completely ****** it up.

Not all of it is as bad as some make it seem, but there has certainly been a drop off.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I just started reading the books. It's an odd experience so far because the book and the show mirror each other so closely. Not creating the characters or setting in my head is weird. But I also never read fantasy and think I would struggle to put together all of the houses/characters had I not seen the show.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I just started reading the books. It's an odd experience so far because the book and the show mirror each other so closely. Not creating the characters or setting in my head is weird. But I also never read fantasy and think I would struggle to put together all of the houses/characters had I not seen the show.
I don't know if I would've been able to make it through if I hadn't seen the show. I binged the first 3 seasons one summer and then picked up the books and finished the first 2 that same summer. No way I would have made it through all the names, locations, and events if I hadn't had a reference point in my head. That being said, so glad I did read the books because they can get a lot more in-depth in descriptors or get very literal in quotes, etc. to make you fantasize stories and theories in your head. The show did/does a good job of this also, but reading the words written out for you allows the mind to go a lot of different places.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid