Gamblin…Smoke and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
With the huge PGA/LIV golf merger announcement coming out this week, the sooner they can get this story out the better as the national media will be focusing on the golf story for the forseeable future. Especially as more info comes out and the PGA/LIV money involved is made public.
What we should really be hoping for is either Tom Brady announces a comeback or Lebron announces retirement. Really, any really big NFL news will overshadow this story.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
They would be wise to drop this simultaneously with the potentially major political news that is rumored to occur some time in the next week or so.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'm not saying it will be a big stain. But it will be a huge deal because of the implications. And it's a slow sports season. But we will get some negative attention. I'm just saying let's get it over with because I'd rather talk about football. Didn't expect my post to attract so much boomer attention.
When do think the 'verdict' will come down? And can anyone tell me who are the 5-6 football players rumored to be involved?

I can certainly understand keeping that second question under wraps until a penalty or verdict comes out.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Is College Football Live on ESPN better? Because it will be the top story on there too. If you're not into podcasts, you're not that into college football. That's where a lot of fans are listening. Nobody is watching the sterile ESPN garbage anymore old man.
Lol. “If you’re not into podcasts, you’re not that into college football”. I laughed, harder. Next you’re going to tell me fantasy football is cool.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
When do think the 'verdict' will come down? And can anyone tell me who are the 5-6 football players rumored to be involved?

I can certainly understand keeping that second question under wraps until a penalty or verdict comes out.
Post 438 in this thread mentions the names that seem to be cropping up.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
If we were a significant football program this would be a big deal for national media. But the spillover potential has national implications. This isn't a coaching or recruiting scandal. Kids F'd up.
Even if we were a significant program, it would be a one day story and thats it. This isn’t some big scandal. Its some college athletes breaking rules by gambling online like millions of other regular people do every day. Bfd. The handwringing over this is hilarious.

Also, I don’t listen to sports podcasts. I’m not a boomer either. I guess I’m not a big cfb fan though

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think it has the potential to be a big stain, honestly. Even though it shouldn't be. But you'll have the easy talking points about Campbell and "culture" that people won't be able to resist dunking on. Look at the coverage of realignment. People/networks will have their own narratives to force and it may be at our expense, whether it should or shouldn't be.

The narrative *should* be how widespread is this really and why is only the state of Iowa doing something about it and what should the appropriate punishments be.

Outside of Iowa no one will even care after 4 days.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I'd imagine they already know the penalty as initially given. I thought the appeal process is what typically took a long time. So probably mid-August knowing the NCAA.

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
Look out for official reports/news on all of this tomorrow. FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.