Gamblin…Smoke and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Yeah, you might wand to read the rules. It’s pretty clean cut you don’t do it.
I did. "Penalties will be considered on a case by case basis" (in reference to gambling). Right there in the rules. Which is what I was referring to in my post.

The punishment is not clear cut. We have no idea at this point who will miss what and how many.

Reactions: cyclone1209

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Also, it doesn't sound like they will be able to bury this story by dropping it on a holiday weekend. With the names and punishments being thrown around, it's going to be a massive story. The soft rumors around here, and other insider sources, will soften the blow for some, but it's still going to be a big deal.
It will be the biggest story in college football and will be on the front page of ESPN and lead on all of the major podcasts. It sucks all around. That's not to mention the casual fan who is going to be surprised and confused. Let's tear the band aid off.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
It will be the biggest story in college football and will be on the front page of ESPN and lead on all of the major podcasts. It sucks all around. That's not to mention the casual fan who is going to be surprised and confused. Let's tear the band aid off.
“…lead on all the major podcasts”. I laughed.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
It will be on the front page of ESPN for a day and may be discussed on a couple national podcasts, but it will disappear quickly except for in the local media.

This won’t be some huge stain on the program. I think some opinion pieces may actually look at these athletes and the program sympathetically given how prevalent gambling is.

These stories have popped up at an increasing rate. A Colts player is being investigated right now for betting on his own games. On May 26, a report came out that there’s going to be a second wave of NFL gambling violations shortly. This isn’t 10 years ago and it’s not a rare occurrence

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Well one of the best sports podcasts gets about 750k-1.5 million listeners per episode...

Edited to name the podcast : Pardon My Take
This isn't just for sports shows, either. It's becoming a trend that AM/FM show hosts start a podcast, get traction, and then essentially move the show off the airwaves to the podcast. They're even bringing their staff with them. And, if done well, they're getting more listeners than they ever did over the airwaves.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It will be on the front page of ESPN for a day and may be discussed on a couple national podcasts, but it will disappear quickly except for in the local media.

This won’t be some huge stain on the program. I think some opinion pieces may actually look at these athletes and the program sympathetically given how prevalent gambling is.

These stories have popped up at an increasing rate. A Colts player is being investigated right now for betting on his own games. On May 26, a report came out that there’s going to be a second wave of NFL gambling violations shortly. This isn’t 10 years ago and it’s not a rare occurrence
I'm not saying it will be a big stain. But it will be a huge deal because of the implications. And it's a slow sports season. But we will get some negative attention. I'm just saying let's get it over with because I'd rather talk about football. Didn't expect my post to attract so much boomer attention.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This is true, but Curt isn't wrong. There are a lot of people who think they are some kind of reporter out of Mom's basement.
Sure. But every major sports network/media company has a college football podcast. We're not talking about your neighbor recording something in his closet.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
I'm not saying it will be a big stain. But it will be a huge deal because of the implications. And it's a slow sports season. But we will get some negative attention. I'm just saying let's get it over with because I'd rather talk about football. Didn't expect my post to attract so much boomer attention.
I think it has the potential to be a big stain, honestly. Even though it shouldn't be. But you'll have the easy talking points about Campbell and "culture" that people won't be able to resist dunking on. Look at the coverage of realignment. People/networks will have their own narratives to force and it may be at our expense, whether it should or shouldn't be.

The narrative *should* be how widespread is this really and why is only the state of Iowa doing something about it and what should the appropriate punishments be.

CyPack

Apr 19, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
With the huge PGA/LIV golf merger announcement coming out this week, the sooner they can get this story out the better as the national media will be focusing on the golf story for the forseeable future. Especially as more info comes out and the PGA/LIV money involved is made public.

Status
Not open for further replies.