Friday OT - Red Meat

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
BBQ Pork Ribs at the top, although I eat more chicken and beef than pork.
For breakfast, fried side pork or bacon > sausage.

I actually don't have much like for Prime Rib anymore. I used to love it, but about 4-5 years ago I ate some and got really sick. Probably not related to the prime rib, but it left me hating it for a while. A few months ago, I decided to jump back on the wagon and ordered some while out with a group of guys and pretty intoxicated. Got so excited about telling some story that I forgot to chew and started choking. That meat is out to get me.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think mine would have to be mussels in a white wine and garlic sauce, but that's probably because it's something I don't cook at home so it's a special treat. Tied for second would be a ribeye, raw tuna, or bacon.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
The only meat I eat is seafood, so I'm going with a good seared ahi tuna.

Love this as well. Not a huge red meat eater, but I do enjoy a medium rare steak lightly seasoned or a prime rib dinner now and then. More in line with you on the seafood thing.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If it was alive, and someone has a recipe for preparing it, I probably like it.

I enjoy meat of all kinds, but I get a particular perverse enjoyment out of "weird" meats that most people can't stomach. Any kind of pickled animal part, or stuff like head cheese and jaeternice are all delicious, IMO.

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Thick cut rib eye with Cavenders Greek seasoning. Cooked RARE. Get that steak sauce away from me, you disgust me :realmad:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If it was alive, and someone has a recipe for preparing it, I probably like it.

I enjoy meat of all kinds, but I get a particular perverse enjoyment out of "weird" meats that most people can't stomach. Any kind of pickled animal part, or stuff like head cheese and jaeternice are all delicious, IMO.
You NE Iowa people.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
It's a toss-up between medium rare rib-eye, or country style pork ribs marinated in my special recipe -- both have to be grilled.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Since moving to TX, Brisket has taken over #1.

Brisket
Pork Ribs
NY Strip - Med Rare
and I love a good Chicken Friend Steak.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Gotta go with brisket and burnt ends. The best brisket that I have had was from Smokey D's.

I was talking to someone yesterday that said Smokey D's was killing the BBQ competitions with their brisket lately. They definitely know what they are doing...although I doubt they are serving the same quality of meat in their restaurants that they do to the judges.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I could eat boneless chicken wings like it was my job but that wouldn't be my first choice.

A really good brisket would be my first choice. Love me some Famous Dave's brisket.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I could eat boneless chicken wings like it was my job but that wouldn't be my first choice.

A really good brisket would be my first choice. Love me some Famous Dave's brisket.

So chicken nuggets? Your favorite meat is chicken nuggets?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I was talking to someone yesterday that said Smokey D's was killing the BBQ competitions with their brisket lately. They definitely know what they are doing...although I doubt they are serving the same quality of meat in their restaurants that they do to the judges.

I know a guy who is into competitive BBQ, and he says Smokey D's is basically revered throughout the competitive circuit as the absolute gold standard.

You are right about what gets served at competitions vs. the restaurants. Basically, the minutiae and level of preparation that goes into the competition meats just wouldn't be feasible on a bigger scale. They still serve excellent BBQ at their restaurants though.

CoachKM

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
I married a beef farmers daughter so am pretty spoiled when it comes to good types of beef always in the freezer; I especially like rib eyes and roasts. But, I have really grown to like seafood; especially Alaskan Salmon, tuna steaks and boiled peel and eat shrimp. Lastly, having grown up in Minnesota I could eat walleye and crappie every day!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I married a beef farmers daughter so am pretty spoiled when it comes to good types of beef always in the freezer; I especially like rib eyes and roasts. But, I have really grown to like seafood; especially Alaskan Salmon, tuna steaks and boiled peel and eat shrimp. Lastly, having grown up in Minnesota I could eat walleye and crappie every day!

Freshwater fish is excellent.