Friday OT: Favorite movie/song scene

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Not a movie, but two scenes from Scrubs. One in the episode "My day at the Races" with "Everybody's Changing" by Keane. The other was "My Lunch" with "How to Save a Life" by the Fray. The second was probably one of the best episodes of the show.

There's a really good usage of Beck's "Lost Cause" in the episode where Jordan's brother dies and Cox is really freaking out, I think at the end of the episode.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Two under rated ones:

American Pyscho: axing Leto to Huey Lewis "Hip to be Square"
Poolhall Junkies (anyone else seen that movie?): hustling pool to James Brown "Payback"

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I'm submitting this vote not because they are excellent songs, but because everytime I hear them during the credits they give me the chills and I realize I just watched a really, really good movie.
1) Dream On- Miracle
2) Most of all You- Major League

Pretty tough to argue though against the home run song in "The Natural" or "You're the Best" to Karate Kid.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
There's a really good usage of Beck's "Lost Cause" in the episode where Jordan's brother dies and Cox is really freaking out, I think at the end of the episode.

Scrubs had consistently excellent music. The musical episode is one of my favorites.

I also enjoyed Howard singing Rocketman on TBBT.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Sadly, I have actually thought of this many times before and have a running list.

'Falling Slowly' from the movie 'Once' in the music shop. I still watch that scene randomly online. Love it.

'Wise Up' from 'Magnolia'. Many people hate that movie/scene but it's probably my top song/scene from almost any movie with all the actors singing. Awesome.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World has some great song scenes.

'Tiny Dancer' from Almost Famous for sure.

'Day Oh' from Beetlejuice

Office Space scene breaking the FAX machine

'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' from Kill Bill vol 1 is way high on my list. It's the fight between Uma and Lucy Liu in the snow. Incredible.

'Down in Mexico' from Tarantino's Death Proof.

'Sister Christian' from Boogie Nights

'Immigrant Love Song' from opening credits of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

'Puttin on the Ritz' from Young Frankenstein

'Stonehenge' from This Is Spinal Tap'

'Stuck in the Middle with You' from Resevoir Dogs

I'm just glad I didn't have to wade through a thousand posts while getting angrier and angrier that Stuck in the Middle in Resevoir Dogs wasn't listed. Really, like his style or not, QT usually does an amazing job with the soundtrack in most of his movies.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Scrubs had consistently excellent music. The musical episode is one of my favorites.

I also enjoyed Howard singing Rocketman on TBBT.

I've got to think Braff had a part with the music. The soundtrack for Garden State, which was a movie by him, was amazing as well, with some Colin Hay, who also made a few appearances on Scrubs.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale

Scrubs incorporated music better than any TV show I can remember, although Breaking Bad did great, too.

Ted and Carla singing Talk Dirty to Me was a great scene, too.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
[video=youtube;OPDKY_zRFmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPDKY_zRFmM[/video]

You may think I'm joking but I'm not. This show had amazing soundtracks.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Two under rated ones:

American Pyscho: axing Leto to Huey Lewis "Hip to be Square"
Poolhall Junkies (anyone else seen that movie?): hustling pool to James Brown "Payback"

Always liked Huey Lewis; liked them even more after this movie. One of Bales best in my opinion.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Final scene of Dr. Strangelove. We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

[video=youtube_share;NFkryh6hC-k]http://youtu.be/NFkryh6hC-k[/video]

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Most of the ones I thought of have already been mentioned (like Dr. Strangelove and others). Some great reading. Some I like not mentioned:

Tom Cruise as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder dancing to Get Back by Ludicrous over the closing credits. Just cracked me up.

The Risky Business train scene with Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight.

Apocalypse Now: The popular Ride of the Valkyries scene but the opening scene with the Door’s The End as it morphs from the helicopter blades to the ceiling fan is pretty awesome.

And, of course, Casablanca with Sam Dooley singing As Time Goes By.

Edit: Need to add the Casablanca scene where everyone at Rick's sings La Marseillaise.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Excellent call on Golden Brown. Guy Ritchie makes really good use of music in his films. The "I wanna be your dog" scene from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels comes to mind.

[video=youtube;tyASsU1Wg4Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyASsU1Wg4Y[/video]

Lock Stock and Snatch are two masterpiece movies.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Dazed and confused, the scene with the freshman hunt.
no more mr nice guy

That entire movie was perfectly synched with the music, from the very first note.

"Sweeeeeeeeeeet Emoooooootion!"

[video=youtube;MrtQ5uIOcKY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrtQ5uIOcKY&feature=kp[/video]

Such a recognizable and popular song, and the first thing I think of when I hear it is Dazed and Confused.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I will forever associate Pixies - Where Is My Mind with Fight Club

[video=youtube;vVof0qj7SOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVof0qj7SOw[/video]

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
That entire movie was perfectly synched with the music, from the very first note.

"Sweeeeeeeeeeet Emoooooootion!"

[video=youtube;MrtQ5uIOcKY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrtQ5uIOcKY&feature=kp[/video]

Such a recognizable and popular song, and the first thing I think of when I hear it is Dazed and Confused.

Just barely beat me to it! This scene is one of the best opening scenes in any movie. Also, the scene in American Pie 2 when Jim glues himself to himself, and Alien Ant Farm's version of "Smooth Criminal" is playing, always cracks me up. It's amazing what a good song can bring to a movie.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
[video=youtube;cFrx-ODZN1E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFrx-ODZN1E[/video]

RIP Paul Walker