Friday OT: Deep thoughts

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Eh, I'm not sure. I think the truly good-natured stuff, sure. But I think that we have sort of an innate sense of superiority and ethnocentrism in the US. It's why a ton of foreign countries don't like us - we're overall pretty condescending and superior. I think many, many US citizens who visit other countries or interact are not - but they're going to remember the ones who are.

Or is that their stereotype for us? Hmmm

• Agree
Reactions: dcorbatt

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
"Your focus determines your reality."

“He suffers more than necessary, who suffers before it is necessary.”

"The best way to complain is to make things."

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
"Your focus determines your reality."

“He suffers more than necessary, who suffers before it is necessary.”

"The best way to complain is to make things."

I find discussions of reality really interesting. Studies of all the various accounts of some events really highlight how different they can be based on how each individual assesses the same occurrence through the filter of their own viewpoints. Even more interesting when you understand, as you said, that you can determine your own reality (for better or worse).

• Agree
Reactions: Fitzy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Eh, I'm not sure. I think the truly good-natured stuff, sure. But I think that we have sort of an innate sense of superiority and ethnocentrism in the US. It's why a ton of foreign countries don't like us - we're overall pretty condescending and superior. I think many, many US citizens who visit other countries or interact are not - but they're going to remember the ones who are.
While this is generally true, we certainly don't have a corner on this market. Most of the countries that have at one time or another "been on top" have a certain arrogance to them. The French are notorious for arrogance. The British have a history of Anglo arrogance. Even the Chinese have that whole "Central Kingdom" thing from centuries ago going for them. These are all stereotypes as not everyone in a country behaves the same way, but there are certainly significant examples in these and other countries - yes, including the US.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Its just the "dont hate me becasue I'm beautiful" issue. They are just jealous. I can't help it that I was born this fabulous!!!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Or is that their stereotype for us? Hmmm

I think that's some of it. But I know I grew up hearing phrases like "the US is #1!" "We're the best!" It's AWESOME to have national pride, but it does have some arrogance to it.

While this is generally true, we certainly don't have a corner on this market. Most of the countries that have at one time or another "been on top" have a certain arrogance to them. The French are notorious for arrogance. The British have a history of Anglo arrogance. Even the Chinese have that whole "Central Kingdom" thing from centuries ago going for them. These are all stereotypes as not everyone in a country behaves the same way, but there are certainly significant examples in these and other countries - yes, including the US.

I totally agree with this. I think we're not alone in it - we're just pretty vocal since we're so big?

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
“Trolls suck.” Betty White

I am having an increasingly difficult time understanding a culture where people get their greatest enjoyment spending time online in the hopes of bullying or upsetting other people. Why is it better to intentionally upset another being online than in person?

It feels like kindness is no longer valued in society. People express it, if at all, not in a personal manner, but maybe by throwing some money at some cause.

Reactions: BCClone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
“Trolls suck.” Betty White

I am having an increasingly difficult time understanding a culture where people get their greatest enjoyment spending time online in the hopes of bullying or upsetting other people. Why is it better to intentionally upset another being online than in person?

It feels like kindness is no longer valued in society. People express it, if at all, not in a personal manner, but maybe by throwing some money at some cause.

I think kindness is still present, it's just that the internet is a force multiplier for idiots.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Why wouldn't we feel superior to Canada? We invaded twice and failed, so we're better and stuff.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The American statement of defiance for the age of the internet. A modern-day Don't Tread on Me.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I think that's some of it. But I know I grew up hearing phrases like "the US is #1!" "We're the best!" It's AWESOME to have national pride, but it does have some arrogance to it.

I totally agree with this. I think we're not alone in it - we're just pretty vocal since we're so big?

Not trying to be an ass or start a debate in a fun thread, but I think that kind of pride at the dinner table falls well short of hubris that gains us any kind of international reputation, unless of course you were at the Canadian or Mexican border shouting it at them. By and large, people that find Americans arrogant are basing it on their view of us through our politicians, celebrities, and news outlets, and based on those people they're right. The problem is, none of those people are a good representation of our country as a whole.

And for my deep thought, clapping is just hitting yourself for liking something.