Friday OT - Are you an expert?

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
I can fall asleep pretty much anywhere, any time.

I spent a few summers touring with Colts Drum and Bugle Corps. If you can sleep in a cramped bus seat, or a gym floor, you can sleep anywhere.

I tried out for the Colts one year when I was a junior in HS. I didn't get accepted, but I don't think I would have gone anyway after talking to some people who did it for this exact reason. I CANNOT sleep on a bus/plane/car.

Also, I was the sports guy who was in the band, and everyone there was 1000% into music. They thought I was insane that I would play football, take off my pads and play at halftime, then go back to football. All the trumpet guys told me that they skip home football games and sit with the band.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
was waiting to hear this one! My husband might give you a run for your money though.........multiple all nighters in college writing papers that he knew about (and had time to do) weeks ahead of time. That includes one paper that he turned in 9 days late.

I've fallen into a job only an expert procrastinator could do, because everything is due yesterday!

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Yeah, I go with Hey Buddy. Hey Man.

It's really bad when the person is happy to see you and immediately calls you by name. Makes me feel bad to call them buddy.

I have this problem often, too. I beat it in one case a couple weeks ago, though.

Saw this guy (guy #1) I knew in college at a sporting event, but couldn't remember his name for the life of me. I DID, however, remember the name of the guy (guy #2) who introduced us. I looked up guy #2 on FB from my phone, & sure enough found guy #1 from a wall post.

So in case you were wondering, FB stalking CAN be used for good!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
"Expert" is relative. I prefer to use the phrase “areas of expertise."
A. Pop culture history
1. Pop music
a. The Beatles
b. 1965-1995
2. NCAA tournament seeding trends
3. General/other 
B. Cooking
1. Kabobs
2. Omelets
3. Chili (with beans!)
C. Copy editing
D. List-making
E. Message board formatting

Reactions: Tony

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
"Expert" is relative. I prefer to use the phrase “areas of expertise."
A. Pop culture history
1. Pop music
a. The Beatles
b. 1965-1995
2. NCAA tournament seeding trends
3. General/other 
B. Cooking
1. Kabobs
2. Omelets
3. Chili (with beans!)
C. Copy editing
D. List-making
E. Message board formatting
God damn, that message board formatting expertise is really quite impressive.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
On what topic do you feel like you're an expert, an aficionado? Anything from cars to making quesadillas, it doesn't matter - what's your "thing" on which you feel like you can speak as an authority?

I, for one, can make toast better than just about anyone on Earth. You should all be jealous. Also, I know a lot about car seat safety.

Yours?
As I've demonstrated in multiple cave threads, teaching (taken a lot of grad classes with undergrads and just laughed at their opinions) and English. If I extend it to cooking, then it's how to make cheesy casserole.

Don't ask me about math or anything above elementary science though. That stuff's weird.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
It's neat to learn about everyone here!

When I was a kid, I memorized all of the Super Bowl MVPs. I also knew all of Walt Disney's animated movies. No one could beat me in Tecmo Bowl on the NES. For a while there, I also memorized everything about the Civil War before moving on to better things, like a life.

I was a strange kid.

I guess you could say I am good at solving obscure ISU sports mysteries as well...

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm not really exceptional at anything but thanks for bringing me to that realization.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm not really exceptional at anything but thanks for bringing me to that realization.

I'm an expert at pointing out people's inadequacies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron