Friday OT - Are you an expert?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I have a photographic memory when it comes to golf courses. I could have played an obscure course once, years ago, and know the exact layout, what club I used on each shot, as well as what I scored on each hole. Along a similar line, I don't use yardages on approach shots, because I know what club to use on sight/feel. I play with two guys regularly, and I can tell them what club they should use if they are confused with distance because I know how their game compares to mine. Sometimes they will ask what I hit off the tee on a par 3. I will tell them...it doesn't matter what I hit. You should hit X. Works every time for them.

It's really weird because my memory is pretty suspect when it comes to anything else.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I am an expert at finding a group of people who don't know anything about a topic and displaying my average knowledge on the subject that blows their mind. At work in downtown Minneapolis I am a farm expert. When working with communications people I show them a vlookup and I become their excel guru, even with my average excel skills.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I consider myself pretty efficient at sports betting. Been doing it for 12 years. The last 4 seriously, having grossed a profit each of those 4 years. Still work full time because nothings promised. Could most certainly benefit from one of you guys teaching me how to use Excell. Pretty darn novice when it comes to that.

Also, pretty solid background when it comes to devouring a plate full of Hickory Park :)

I can teach you.

Lesson 1 - Learn how to spell Excel.
Lesson 2 - Click on the little X on your screen.

Seriously, I just learned through lots and lots of work and teaching myself. I pretty much tried to automate anything that I was doing that was a repeating task and learned VBA. I use pivot tables all of the time. Some of the cooler things that I have learned is how to build forms where people can input data and then export it to Access and have built some tools for work that have captured data doing this.

However, I have a person on my team that can run circles around me in Excel. He builds all of the cool stuff now and I just get to manage him and review his work.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Cows, dairy stuff, making lists of stuff I don't usually do, and napping.

I can fall asleep pretty much anywhere, any time.

I spent a few summers touring with Colts Drum and Bugle Corps. If you can sleep in a cramped bus seat, or a gym floor, you can sleep anywhere.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I've been told by several people I am a "connections" expert. Basically I don't forget people or where they are from/went to school/worked/etc. Then I connect whoever I am talking to with my 'database' in my head. Makes continuing a conversation with someone I've just been introduced to pretty easy.
I do however, frequently forget simple tasks my wife tells me to do.

I can remember the face of 90% of the people I've met over the years.

I can remember the names of 25% of the people I've met over the years.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I can remember the face of 90% of the people I've met over the years.

I can remember the names of 25% of the people I've met over the years.

I know what this is like, though I don't know if I can remember even that high of a percentage of names. Might be a higher percentage of face recognition for me too, and Man is it frustrating. Nothing like saying "Heeeeyyy...you."

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I know what this is like, though I don't know if I can remember even that high of a percentage of names. Might be a higher percentage of face recognition for me too, and Man is it frustrating. Nothing like saying "Heeeeyyy...you."

Yeah, I go with Hey Buddy. Hey Man.

It's really bad when the person is happy to see you and immediately calls you by name. Makes me feel bad to call them buddy.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
witchcraft and wizardry.

Also biting people.

(if you don't get the reference, watch some soccer)

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I have a photographic memory when it comes to golf courses. I could have played an obscure course once, years ago, and know the exact layout, what club I used on each shot, as well as what I scored on each hole. Along a similar line, I don't use yardages on approach shots, because I know what club to use on sight/feel. I play with two guys regularly, and I can tell them what club they should use if they are confused with distance because I know how their game compares to mine. Sometimes they will ask what I hit off the tee on a par 3. I will tell them...it doesn't matter what I hit. You should hit X. Works every time for them.

It's really weird because my memory is pretty suspect when it comes to anything else.
Sounds like you should be a professional caddy. That is a nice skill.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I can hear an 80s song and, within the first few notes, tell you the artist, title, year it charted, and how high it got on the Hot 100. People used to doubt my ability, but I have plenty of reference books to back up what I know. Those doubters have been silenced (the ability has been called "scary"). It works best with songs from 84-89, but it's sometimes more difficult with songs from earlier in the decade because I was so young and wasn't focused on buying music then. I can't really do this with most 90s stuff because I stopped caring by about 1991. This isn't useful for anything in particular, but it's still fun just to know this stuff (to me, anyway).

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

The one time I remember my face recognition skill really failing me was actually with an ex-girlfriend. I blame her though because she looked like she aged 20 years rather than 10. I felt really bad too because she l could tell she was ticked that I didn't recognize her.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Really good at all college basketball trivia but especially Iowa State basketball.

Since I am an ag lender and am involved with farming, I'm somewhat of an expert of running crop budgets and expenses. Also being around Angus cattle my whole life and an extensive livestock judging background, evaluating cattle and making breeding decisions is something I know a lot about.

I wish some of you would teach me how to be better with excel. I can do basic stuff to get by but would love to know more.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
When I was in Brazil they said they have never seen anyone that could drink Caipirnha's like I could.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The one time I remember my face recognition skill really failing me was actually with an ex-girlfriend. I blame her though because she looked like she aged 20 years rather than 10. I felt really bad too because she l could tell she was ticked that I didn't recognize her.
You never want to recognize cougars. Maybe in the backroom.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I once took an online test to see if I could correctly identify real vs. enhanced boobs. I scored 100%. So, I could argue that I am a boob expert.

link please

I know the history and growth patterns of cities. I can correctly deduct why, when, and where neighborhoods were developed based on road patterns. Too bad there is no money in that unless someone needs a trial expert!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron