Friday OT #2 - Tattoos

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
My hubby and I were just talking about tattoos after a visit to the Ames pool this weekend. A trip there is always a good time for tattoo viewing--some good, mostly bad. We seriously wondered what the rationale was behind Scooby Doo on a guy's upper back. Favorite cartoon? Drunk bet? Reminds him of his childhood?

I don't have any tattoos, I'm like the ones who say they wouldn't know what to get. My hubby isn't a big fan of them. I think the right tattoos look great on others, and some I find utterly ridiculous but to each his own.

A friend of mine's husband is co-owner of Heroic Ink here in town--a great shop if you are looking for a place. He has done some art for ISU. Right now the theme at Reiman Gardens is sci-fi/outer space. They had 16 local artists each create a alien (all the same statue). He and his wife each did one. I have also seen sneak peeks of the Cy statues they are painting. Not sure where they are going, but it is similar to the Herkys in IC. Local artists are decorating Cy in a variety of ways. He is a very talented artist that can work with a variety of mediums; tattoos are just one type of medium for him.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I only have one and it's 20 years old. I still love it and it still looks good.

<---------Gonna get the Crimson Ghost one of these days...

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Both my arms are full, love them. No regrets. Im 36, got my last one about 4 years ago. Have a great job. I occasionly am curious as to how my lovely daughters will react to them later in life, but so far neither care at all. Its just me.

My wife doesn't have any, and I present myself well dressed and all so its never been an issue.

I have outgrown wanting to get them. I hate the pain now, and have so many other things to care about.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My hubby and I were just talking about tattoos after a visit to the Ames pool this weekend. A trip there is always a good time for tattoo viewing--some good, mostly bad. We seriously wondered what the rationale was behind Scooby Doo on a guy's upper back. Favorite cartoon? Drunk bet? Reminds him of his childhood?.

I remember the Tweety Bird and Marvin the Martian tattoo craze in the 90s. I was never sure what in Looney Tunes was so symbolic of someone's persona that they wanted it permanently tattooed on them, but never asked anyone.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I remember the Tweety Bird and Marvin the Martian tattoo craze in the 90s. I was never sure what in Looney Tunes was so symbolic of someone's persona that they wanted it permanently tattooed on them, but never asked anyone.

One of them would be our younger daughter, who has a rather large Tweety on her ankle. She's starting to get cankles though, so Tweety is getting a little wider...

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
As a matter of fact, yes. We just found it a couple of months ago, but she's had it for over a year. She wore the wrong top...and it peeked out. Silly girl thought I'd be mad! Her body, her choice now that she's old enough.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
As a matter of fact, yes. We just found it a couple of months ago, but she's had it for over a year. She wore the wrong top...and it peeked out. Silly girl thought I'd be mad! Her body, her choice now that she's old enough.

Yeah. So she still wanting to see a Cub fan or no?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
One of them would be our younger daughter, who has a rather large Tweety on her ankle. She's starting to get cankles though, so Tweety is getting a little wider...

I don't know what I'm laughing at the most...the thought of a fat*** tweety, or the fact that her mom is posting this.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I don't really care if people have tats or not. Other people's business is their own. I understand the negative stigma that's still attached to them these days, but I care not one iota about what anyone outside of my family, friends, wife, or employer thinks.

My love for Tecmo Bowl provoked me to get a semi sleeve many years ago, and I've never ever regretted it. The only downside is that we kept the original pixelation, so the lines and characters aren't sharp, but I wanted an authentic reproduction.

I've got a solid 25 years of playing Tecmo Bowl under my belt now. Tecmo is not just a fleeting pass time for me. A couple of buddies and I have logged 700+ games the last 10 years. We're pretty hardcore about it when we can actually find the time these days to get together on occasion. Careers, marriage, and kids require some escapism from time to time, and a weekend of Tecmo Bowl is pretty damn harmless is you ask our wives.

I took a screen shot from the game with the 49ers offense up against the Giants defense, and my tattooist went to town.

The original Tecmo had only 12 franchises. Their 1980's style logos adorn the field piece. The old Broncos "D" logo for instance is on the front(not pictured)

Bo Jackson's Run 1 play diagram is in the mix

More....

I do know that people in online settings(such as a message board for instance) have characterized me in a negative light when they see this work. The detractors assume I can't have a successful career because I have this unconventional tattoo, or be a normal person, or be married, etc, etc...or my favorite of all....that I have never seen "lady parts" in my life. :biglaugh:

Those digs can be pretty comical to read when the hate is really flowing well!

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I don't really care if people have tats or not. Other people's business is their own. I understand the negative stigma that's still attached to them these days, but I care not one iota about what anyone outside of my family, friends, wife, or employer thinks.

My love for Tecmo Bowl provoked me to get a semi sleeve many years ago, and I've never ever regretted it. The only downside is that we kept the original pixelation, so the lines and characters aren't sharp, but I wanted an authentic reproduction.

I've got a solid 25 years of playing Tecmo Bowl under my belt now. Tecmo is not just a fleeting pass time for me. A couple of buddies and I have logged 700+ games the last 10 years. We're pretty hardcore about it when we can actually find the time these days to get together on occasion. Careers, marriage, and kids require some escapism from time to time, and a weekend of Tecmo Bowl is pretty damn harmless is you ask our wives.

I took a screen shot from the game with the 49ers offense up against the Giants defense, and my tattooist went to town.

The original Tecmo had only 12 franchises. Their 1980's style logos adorn the field piece. The old Broncos "D" logo for instance is on the front(not pictured)

More....

I do know that people in online settings(such as a message board for instance) have characterized me in a negative light when they see this work. The detractors assume I can't have a successful career because I have this unconventional tattoo, or be a normal person, or be married, etc, etc...or my favorite of all....that I have never seen "lady parts" in my life. :biglaugh:

I am completely against tattoos but this is ******* awesome

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA

More....

Weirdest hair spot ever. do you have a vagina behind your knee? LOL I appreciate the share.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

More....

Just goes to show the wide range of people on this site. I have no idea what Tecmo Bowl is. If I'd seen your tattoo I would have just assumed you're some huge NFL football fan.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't really care what people decide to do to themselves as long as it doesn't directly affect me. To each their own.

But my own personal opinion is that tattoos only look good on about 10% of people. The other 90% look like idiots, but are VERY enjoyable to laugh at.

je4cy23

Jul 11, 2009
Des Moines
I don't have any and I can't imagine ever getting one. It just doesn't fit my personality. I do think they can look cool on some guys but most of the time tattoos on a female look extremely trashy. JMO.