Friday OT #2 - Heaven Scent

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Another to add: Freshly opened can of coffee grounds (or in a kitchen canister.) Love that scent long before I ever actually even tried drinking coffee.
Can't stand drinking coffee, or strong brewed coffee scents, but yeah - I DO love the smell of a freshly opened can of non-froufrou coffee (Folgers, Maxwell House, etc).

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Druidia's atmosphere.

3v4oECq.gif

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
The smell when you walk into the Aria hotel in Vegas, I am not sure what they do, but it is wonderful.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Addendum to the conversation. Does anyone ponder "why" some of these are so appealing? Quite a bit of commonality/overlap in the responses. Some of the agri-scents might have roots in nostalgia for Iowa-bred peoples among us, but what is it about gasoline and plastic-wrap and magic markers?

I assume there are scientific studies of some sort, with connection to it, I haven't researched that.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
As an old farm boy..(several have been mentioned)

-Fresh cut hay
-Just tilled soil
-The first couple minutes of a steady rain
-Silage
-The haymow
-That first belch of diesel smoke when you start the tractor
-This one will seem weird, but an old dairy barn that's sat empty. It wouldn't smell good to most people but there's something about that mix of old feed, bedding, wood, and other stuff that takes me back.

Reactions: VeloClone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
As an old farm boy..(several have been mentioned)

-Fresh cut hay
-Just tilled soil
-The first couple minutes of a steady rain
-Silage
-The haymow
-That first belch of diesel smoke when you start the tractor
-This one will seem weird, but an old dairy barn that's sat empty. It wouldn't smell good to most people but there's something about that mix of old feed, bedding, wood, and other stuff that takes me back.

Rain in general does it for me. The smell and sound is so relaxing. Nothing like falling to sleep during a mild thunderstorm.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A grove of pine/coniferous trees and/or needles.

Cigarrettes are evil, and I've never smoked one, but a freshly lit one has an aroma. After that they're garbage.

Fresh cut hay, for nostalgia sake.

Burning leaves.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Summer rain on hot concrete
Racing fuel with the grape smelling additive
Coniferous forests
Burning cedar
Fishing tacklebox
Deisel engines
Outboard motors/general marina smell
Fresh tilled soil
My dogs feet smell like corn chips. Weird, but it's tantalizing haha

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Beer farts, toe nail butter, from under cheese, nah, fresh cut hay, grass, camp fires with bacon cooking over fire.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Addendum to the conversation. Does anyone ponder "why" some of these are so appealing? Quite a bit of commonality/overlap in the responses. Some of the agri-scents might have roots in nostalgia for Iowa-bred peoples among us, but what is it about gasoline and plastic-wrap and magic markers?

I assume there are scientific studies of some sort, with connection to it, I haven't researched that.

Nostalgia has to play a part. Cow and pig **** doesn't smell good, but it has a calming effect on me when I go back to the old home town to see my parents.

On the flip side, I've caught an odor that reminded me of the dentist drill when I was a kid and I immediately wanted to get the hell out of there. I'm convinced that some smells are burned in a person's memory forever.

Reactions: cyclones500

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Every once in a great while I will have a scent give me such a vivid memory that I will have just a glimpse of what it is like for some of our animal friends with much more powerful senses of smell. I start to understand how a dog can identify old friends just by the scent left behind. It is a whole great big world that we just touch the tip of the iceberg.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Pineapple weed. It grew next to the chicken house on my grandmother's farm. Whenever I smell it I'm instantly reminded of her. She died in 1970.

There's also a smell of the combination of the ditch grass/weeds in the summer and the dust from a gravel road. Reminds me of getting the mail out of the rural mailbox as a child in the 60's. Hard to describe but when it hits me it hits me.

Some of the same others have mentioned. New mown hay, mimeographed copies.

Some other unique ones. The smell of my jukebox. Its from the heat and the effect of the heat on the light machine oil in the mechanisms. Very faint but definitely there.

The smell of the inside of my old car. Slightly musty with a bit of old gas. Sometimes I just sit in it to take in the simplicity of the dash layout, the smells, and I think about the times it has existed through and the people it has carried to different significant and insignificant life events.

Damn, I'm waxing poetic today, LOL!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Nostalgia has to play a part. Cow and pig **** doesn't smell good, but it has a calming effect on me when I go back to the old home town to see my parents.

On the flip side, I've caught an odor that reminded me of the dentist drill when I was a kid and I immediately wanted to get the hell out of there. I'm convinced that some smells are burned in a person's memory forever.
This is true, and other sensations forever connected to certain smells. I was in the fall play when I was in junior high school. My costume for my bit part was hastily whipped together and included a giant safety pin right in the center back to hold it together. In addition it was freshly dyed black. The dye smell was pretty powerful. I had to pull that costume over my head and whenever I wasn't thinking about it as I pulled it back off I would snag that safety pin in my hair at the nape of my neck. Over the course of dress rehearsals and performances I probably did it a dozen times. To this day whenever I smell that dye smell I can vividly feel that pain of my hair getting yanked at the nape of my neck even though it was almost 40 years ago.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
My grandfather's Sir Walter Raleigh pipe tobacco.

My old man smoked Winston's and drank Old Milwaukee, that's a unique smell combo.

Old books and old portions of a library.

Reactions: cyclones500

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This is true, and other sensations forever connected to certain smells. I was in the fall play when I was in junior high school. My costume for my bit part was hastily whipped together and included a giant safety pin right in the center back to hold it together. In addition it was freshly dyed black. The dye smell was pretty powerful. I had to pull that costume over my head and whenever I wasn't thinking about it as I pulled it back off I would snag that safety pin in my hair at the nape of my neck. Over the course of dress rehearsals and performances I probably did it a dozen times. To this day whenever I smell that dye smell I can vividly feel that pain of my hair getting yanked at the nape of my neck even though it was almost 40 years ago.

Those permed mullets got caught on everything.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Two I haven't seen yet:

1) Freshly placed concrete (it also happens to smell like money to me)
2) Metal Fabrication (welding, cutting, grinding)

I'd also go with: sawdust, campfires, the ocean/beach/salt water (coupled with the humidity), and the smell after it rains (petrichor).