Friday OT #2 - Heaven Scent

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Also a huge thanks to @cyclones500 for this one!

What are your favorite non-food related smells? Campfire and gasoline are two of my favorites.

We could also list our least favorite smells (SFW, of course)...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Gasoline is up there. Post-rain smell. I also love the " musty old gym" smell.

Reactions: Angie

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Napalm in the morning.

giphy.gif

StevieISU23

Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
Best Memories are of Summer Vacations to a Cabin in NW Minnesota-
-The smell of those 70's model Outboard motors. Mixture of Gas and Oil. Always had to choke it to get it started in the dewy mornings. Usually flooded it a little and had to burn off that excess....
-Same Lake had a small fishing bridge, with an asphalt/Tar Road over it. Catching fish and memories of the hint of Tar from that road....
-Cabin/Resort had 10 cabins, and at the end was a old Bar/Pizza Tavern. The smell of fresh Pizza baking and stale Beer, all while not having a care in life and shooting pool, or playing video games. After a few days to bumming around the pizza joint, the Ole Bar tender would always have an excuse to offer us little kids some Pop and snacks. He would have to "test" the fountain pop machine that afternoon, and figured he would just give each of us a glass. Or, "He said that he was testing out a new type of pizza" made on a Large taco shell, folded over (Quasidilla). Left it on the counter for us kids to "help him test it out."

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Acetone-based wood filler, mimeograph copies of yore, garlic, e.g., Papa Murphy's garlic sauce pizza.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A few of mine
Gasoline at the pump
Fresh-cut alfalfa, especially as you drive past a field with windows down.
Fermented silage
Air mattress and related rubber-related things.

Goin' way back: School handouts, freshly mimeographed :)

Reactions: oldman

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Lots of good ones already. Agree on fresh cut wood, also fresh cut grass. The smell of hot pavement. Gasoline. And call me crazy, but I LOVE the smell of a diesel engine running.

Also, ISU related... When I was a kid there was a guy who sat 3-4 rows in front of us who would always smoke a cigar. I loved it. It became part of the Cyclone football atmosphere for me. When they banned smoking in the stadium I was pissed!

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Best of whatever comes off my smoker. Brisket, Bacon, pork shoulder, etc. Neighbors always ask what I have in my smoker.

Worst is spoiled meat in a freezer. I even had two fabric softener sheets over my face and was still overpowered by it. A real tear jerker! Landlord had turned off the power in or freezer and we had left for a couple of weeks during the summer. Dang!! I can still remember that god awful smell now!

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Lots of good ones already. Agree on fresh cut wood, also fresh cut grass. The smell of hot pavement. Gasoline. And call me crazy, but I LOVE the smell of a diesel engine running.

Also, ISU related... When I was a kid there was a guy who sat 3-4 rows in front of us who would always smoke a cigar. I loved it. It became part of the Cyclone football atmosphere for me. When they banned smoking in the stadium I was pissed!

Good call!! I love going to tractor pulls for that very reason and the smoke show!

Reactions: ruxCYtable

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
The smell of opening a brand new book for the first time.

The smell of the elevator/feed store for livestock.

Diesel exhaust from farm equipment in the fall.

The smell of someone smoking an old school tobacco pipe.

Fresh cut hay.

Worst smell:
Dead rotting flesh or fish. (Like chicken livers that were left in the back seat of a vehicle from cat fishing by a friend, that you didn't know about and then left for vacation with the family for 7 days in July....)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron