Friday OT #2 - Fancy Pants

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Sure you do! My smile was so great I was even in a Hy-Vee commercial once.

But when people asked that, "where's your helpful smile?!?!", all you wanted to do was punch them in the face.

The two jokey takes on this back when I worked at Hy-Vee were:

1. A helpless frown on every clown
2. A helpful ***** by every door

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
How rare it can be to find a pair of pant you don't have to hem...

I've had the opposite problem Trying to find stylish pants in 34 inseam. When I do they are like 30 waist.

Either the waist is fin but their too short or the they are long enough but I can't button them.

I got my last pair of nice slack at DXL. I like that place.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
For most weddings: nice khakis, dress shirt, blazer, no tie. I hate ties and they make me super hot, but I will usually bring one with in case I need to dress it up. If I know it will be a more formal wedding, it will be suit and tie. Just depends.

If there's ever a question on what to wear (at least at a wedding), as a bride. Or get a wife. As long as you got the OK from one or both of them, then nobody can really question whether you are formal enough.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Will wear a suit if it's a relative's funeral or wedding. Otherwise just a sport coat and dress pants. Much prefer the Van Halen t shirt Angie.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm pretty much with Pride on this one. Comfort all the way for me. That way, when I actually dress up, I get to to hear the "Oh, you clean up nice" line.

If I need to attend a wedding or a funeral, I have to go with a long sleeve button down with a tie. I just think a short sleeved button down with a tie is a goofy look.

I need to break down and get a really nice suit one of these days.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Saw everything from a tux to a "Hawaii Five-O" t-shirt last night at a theater show. Gotta love people's fashion choices.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My opinion on fancy pants
attachment.php

Attachments

• Homer Throwing Pants.gif
    Homer Throwing Pants.gif
    756.6 KB · Views: 96

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
As long as it's not the suit-jacket-crisp-white-shirt-snuggly-Windsor-tie up top paired with blue jeans down low, I'm good with most everything.

Seriously, don't be that guy.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I have to get pretty much every pair of dress pants tailored. My waist and my legs were not created for the same human.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Wedding is generally a 2 piece suit with a long sleeved button down (not white) with a complementary tie. For a funeral - depending on the guest of honor - I am more likely to go with a white shirt.

I still believe in dressing up for church but generally not a suit - a button down with or without a tie or a nice polo if it is extremely hot. I will wear a suit if I am part of the service rather than just in the congregation. I rarely wear shorts to church unless we have a game we have to coach/play directly after church or we are going directly from the church's outdoor celebration. I have gone in full biking spandex on RAGBRAI, but I'm sure the guy upstairs understands and is at least giving my points for making it at all.

If going out to a bar it is usually nice jeans and a stylish button down; not jeans and a t-shirt like it was in college.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I love ties and have a bunch of them. But I hate wearing them and will come up with almost any excuse to not put one on. They do look nice hanging in my closet. I probably should have picked a different clothing item to like.

I had to wear business casual to work for six of my first seven years in the real world. Hated it. I've been working from home for the last nine years, and now I actually take the opportunity to dress up when I can. I don't have to do it often and it makes the better half happy.

On the rare business trips that I have to take now, I'm usually the best dressed guy there. Promotions aren't exactly knocking me over the head but I'd like to think the people I do meet with remember it. Helps make up for my general goofyness.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
i know there are different "rules" for various social classes but everyone should know to at least put on a collared shirt for a wedding so i don't understand people that show up in jeans and a tshirt.

i'm a sport coat and shirt w/o a tie or a shirt and tie w/o a coat type of guy. i never wear a sport coat and tie at the same time as i think if you need to do that you should just wear a suit.

i got out my favorite tan suit for a wedding this past weekend and realized in the 6 months it's been in my closet the shoulder pads bunched up so I can't wear it without looking like david bowie. not sure what to do but i'm a little bummed as it's hard for me to find good coats.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
i know there are different "rules" for various social classes but everyone should know to at least put on a collared shirt for a wedding so i don't understand people that show up in jeans and a tshirt.

i'm a sport coat and shirt w/o a tie or a shirt and tie w/o a coat type of guy. i never wear a sport coat and tie at the same time as i think if you need to do that you should just wear a suit.

i got out my favorite tan suit for a wedding this past weekend and realized in the 6 months it's been in my closet the shoulder pads bunched up so I can't wear it without looking like david bowie. not sure what to do but i'm a little bummed as it's hard for me to find good coats.

You are right, this would look ridiculous on you:
david_bowie_burretti_1200_1719_81_s.jpg

You should definitely go for this look instead:
Wsyo4Y5.jpg

buchacho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Baltimore, MD
6'2" here and if I'm in heels I get glares from other women like I just murdered their firstborn. The problem is flats just don't look right if you're dressed "up" at all. They are great with maxi-skirts but that's not really dressed up. My daughter is probably going to end up taller than me (5'10" now, at 13 yo) and she's going to have it even worse.

Oh my goodness, that is such a terrible feeling and the glares are so real!! I am 5'9", and for the longest time, I wouldn't wear anything more than two-inch heels because I was so self-conscious for that very thing. Obviously 5'9" is much shorter than 6'2", but wearing a 3-, 4- or 5-inch heel still makes me tower over other women. I finally reached a point where I decided I would just own it, and now I absolutely adore my heels.