Friday OT #2 - Fancy Pants

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
That looks really sharp, but I've never worn it. I wear a button down and jeans normally so when I have to dress up I like to go with a suit and tie. I actually really don't like business casual. I don't like how it feels and I don't feel comfortable wearing it.

Business casual is for the devil. I have the look of a suit without a tie. Or even worse, guys that wear a suit with a polo.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Going to a wedding (in pants' home town) tomorrow. Wearing a shirt and tie - no jacket, they are always too damn hot.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm short. Like, super-short. 5'2" in shoes short. So, by all rights, I should wear heels constantly. Except the thing is that I walk like an idiot in them, I just can't make it look right. So, I usually just wear really short heels, wedges, or similar. I've just embraced my shortness.

Yea, I am 5'9" and most heels will make me taller than my husband.

My mother-in-law wore an all-white dress to my wedding. Wasn't certain if I should be offended, but as I got to know her better, was sure she meant it as a slam.:rolleyes:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I always hated dressing up. Spending a decent percentage of my adult life in the slightly to more than slightly overweight it almost always feels like I'm being strangled, especially the tie. My family also carries the double-chin gene so even the largest neck shirt with expanding top button cheater seems rough.

For a long time my fashion goal at any social event was to be the second worst dressed person there. I didn't want to stick out as the worst, but I figured if someone else was more casual than me, the church ladies would gossip and point at him/her.

That being said I always at least looked clean and presentable, not wearing "Grateful Dead" tee shirts to funerals, etc. And I do appreciate the well presented man or woman in a nice outfit, and yes, have even dressed up myself and been the BEST dressed at events. For me it's more the relationship - For a family funeral or wedding you dress up. For a good friend you dress up unless they never dressed up. For casual friends, non-close coworkers, neighbors, distant relatives, I just go with khakis and a polo/golf shirt.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Totally agree. White shirts are boring.

Back in the 70's before college I worked at the local Hy-Vee. Required dress for the males was NON-jeans and a white shirt with tie.

I hated always wearing the white shirt and decided after I left there I'd never wear a white dress shirt again. About 15 years ago I purchased a nice white oxford dress shirt because I wanted something different. Came home and put it on, THEN suddenly remember the promise I'd made to myself to never wear a white dress shirt again.

I laughed at myself and decided that "never" for me was about 20 years.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Last time I felt the "need" to dress up was a wedding in Sergent, NE. Cute shorter dress with a cardigan. We had my level of dress all the way down to the farmers wearing their coveralls. I'd heard about rural weddings being like that, so I was slightly prepared. It was the teenagers with the black metal band t-shirts and jeans/shorts I wasn't so impressed with.

Another wedding I attended, the SO of one of the bridesmaids showed up in a t-shirt, cargo shorts, and a ball cap. (I think the hat was even on in the church) I don't know how long that relationship had been going on, but he obviously didn't want to be there. This leads to me wondering what level of dress I'm going to see at my sister's wedding in two weeks. Our side of the family/friends will be dressed appropriately, but I'm curious about his side of the family and mutual friends. Hey...I'll be happy with no t-shirts with writing on them.

SO, long story short...if I'm putting on a skirt/dress, that's dressing up for me.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I don't do ties unless it's 100% necessary.

In the fall or winter I will do a Chaps button down shirt, sport jacket, khakis, and boots. In the spring/summer I will drop the jacket.

I have also done my best to bring back denim shirts, which my wife hates. Denim with khakis she doesn't mind so much, denim with jeans she absolutely hates, but I love it - makes me feel like I should be in a Sammy Kershaw music video from the 90s, which is right at home for me.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Going to weddings especially in rural areas is always interesting. I generally just go with a good shirt and tie. I have only ever worn a full suit to interviews and my wedding.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Yea, I am 5'9" and most heels will make me taller than my husband.

I AM taller than my husband...by an inch to an inch and a half. Oh well. This is why I got flat sandals for the wedding.

I had to "dress up" for an off-site work function, and wore my dress pants (not khakis) with a sweater and the one pair of wedges I own. The wedges make me feel a bit more important since putting those on jacks me another 2 inches taller.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
I don't do ties unless it's 100% necessary.

In the fall or winter I will do a Chaps button down shirt, sport jacket, khakis, and boots. In the spring/summer I will drop the jacket.

I have also done my best to bring back denim shirts, which my wife hates. Denim with khakis she doesn't mind so much, denim with jeans she absolutely hates, but I love it - makes me feel like I should be in a Sammy Kershaw music video from the 90s, which is right at home for me.

I have to vote with the wife on the double denim. Just seems wrong. Can't explain it otherwise.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I have to vote with the wife on the double denim. Just seems wrong. Can't explain it otherwise.

If it works for Dwight, it works for me.

img_6057.jpg

In all seriousness I agree with you and my wife. I just like trying something different and going back in time every once in a while!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Going to weddings especially in rural areas is always interesting. I generally just go with a good shirt and tie. I have only ever worn a full suit to interviews and my wedding.

My grandma's funeral in Fort Dodge was an experience. I wore a black dress, black cardigan (it was in November). Husband wore either a full suit or a shirt/tie/dress pants, I forget which. Grandma had been in the Country Club, so a bunch of her friends were dressed incredibly nicely - and then some of the younger crowd, cousins and siblings' friends and spouses, wore straight-up t-shirts and jeans. It was just a really strange sight.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron