Friday OT #1 - Google fixes

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I got a new calculator at work to replace the one I've been using since college. It hasn't been in production since 2012, but I wanted an exact replacement. Our office manager found one for me. I couldn't get it to work right -- it kept saying it had an error. She found on line that replacing the batteries might help. Works just fine, now.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was able to be late to the same soccer complex twice in three years due to Google maps. Two years ago we entered the name of the complex and spent half an hour roaming a residential neighborhood before finding out it sent us about 4 miles away from the complex. This time we were given a different name for the complex and it sent us to a different complex but still not the right one. We were able to find out the address and find that it was the same complex as before and still 5 miles away. We were late but still the first there. We barely had enough players to start the game at game time as there were several families that got lost trying to get there.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
- Directions
- Store hours
- Song lyrics
- Stupid facts
- Where to find some random item near me
- Sports scores

I use it a lot. I also like to use Google to drive my wife nuts. She will be trying to find something out, typing away and surfing through various web pages. I hit the Google microphone, ask for the same thing and get an instant answer. Then I mic-drop my phone, throw my hands in the air and walk out of the room.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This is really sad, but the most recent thing I did was how to tie a tie on YouTube as I so infrequently wear one. Just need a 10 second reminder on starting length and what not.

I Google/Youtube hundreds of things though. A lot of car or home repair. Lawn care advice, etc.

• Agree

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Google is great for basic maintenance on cars. I've recently used it for changing head lamps, finding the power steering fluid reservoir, turning off a faulty low tire pressure warning light and resetting the oil life monitor when the shop forgot to do it for me.

This. I've done differential fluid replacement, troubleshooting a master brake cylinder failure, replaced a suspension system, fixed wipers, and damn near everything on my motorcycles.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I have a TV in my garage just for hooking up my Surface when fixing the mower/golf cart/truck/SUV/etc. Thank God Google is a free service.

Well, and for watching sports while trying to be productive on the honey-do list...

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I see a lot of mentions of car repairs, Google and Youtube. While I appreciate having it all there, it's also ruined it for me. Before Youtube, I would just dive in and figure it out. Make mistakes, enjoy the journey, all that stuff. No expectations on how long it would take and I would learn everything I needed to know AND remember it later.

Now I get frustrated when I can't do it as fast as the video and am far too meticulous about following instructions to the letter. This is something that dawned on me in the last year and I've since left Youtube on the shelf until I'm stuck. It's becoming fun again.

• Informative

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
- Directions
- Store hours
- Song lyrics
- Stupid facts
- Where to find some random item near me
- Sports scores

I use it a lot. I also like to use Google to drive my wife nuts. She will be trying to find something out, typing away and surfing through various web pages. I hit the Google microphone, ask for the same thing and get an instant answer. Then I mic-drop my phone, throw my hands in the air and walk out of the room.

Add to that list:

What other movies/TV shows is this actor in
What is the name of the actor/actress in this movie/show

IMDB is awesome, and I also like wikipedia articles for shows because the links to related content are often helpful.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So many fixes that were Googled for the fix. Some off the top of my head:
  • Several old Boxster (my car, not me) repairs including headlight replacement (easy after you see someone do, would have been a head scratching WTF w/o the help.)
  • Fixed old single stage Toro snowblower by following video someone posted.
  • Refoaming vintage stereo speakers.
  • Removed nasty ass virus from desktop computer after searching the fix.
  • Recent replacement of dishwasher door spring stuff....easy but even easier with a video.
  • Adjust disc brakes on bicycle that were rubbing.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Agree with the poster who brought up YouTube. Replace the idler tension spring on my motorcycle? Youtube to the rescue. Play/pause/work and repeat. I swear you can find almost anything on youtube.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron