Friday OT #1 - Google fixes

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm SO SORRY I'm so late with this! Busy catching up from Italy in life and at work.

Thanks so much to @Cybirdy for this one! How has Google fixed your life? You can google almost anything - how have you fixed something using Google/YouTube/etc.?

Our battery on our van's keyfob (which has the button start rather than a key) went out, and I googled that **** to figure out how to replace it. What do you have?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The picture on my TV stopped working, and somebody on the internet told me to try to change the channel right when the Bravia screen popped up, and whaddya know, it worked!

Reactions: Angie

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Unit conversions. Sometimes when I get a job with metric units, I just type in to google "3146 cm to in" and instantly know what I need for analysis.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
YouTube! I Most of the work I have done in my house, I have gone to TouTube to see other people doing the same thing. Recently, my girlfriend and I installed a shower glass door in her bathroom and used YouTube to get an idea of how to do it.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Unit conversions. Sometimes when I get a job with metric units, I just type in to google "3146 cm to in" and instantly know what I need for analysis.

I do this all the time. When I'm on a conference call with people in the UK, France, South Africa, Australia, etc I'm doing unit conversions the whole time. Tons/ha to bu/ac is the most common for me but it generally takes a couple steps. Another one is using google to translate Uk/Aussie English to US English, there are many times they say a word that is very out of context for how we use it or it's some Aussie specific word and I need to google what it is they mean.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Google and some random stranger helped me fix our Keurig at work which was intermittently brewing less than half of the normal amount. Found a comment about turning it upside down and tapping on the bottom to supposedly release air bubbles and was shocked when it worked!

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Google is great for basic maintenance on cars. I've recently used it for changing head lamps, finding the power steering fluid reservoir, turning off a faulty low tire pressure warning light and resetting the oil life monitor when the shop forgot to do it for me.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I have stopped committing almost anything to memory.

I never look for the background information on a topic. I only need the immediate answer

I barely know the names of the road in my new town. Google Maps gets me where I need to go.

If you type "nude" at the end of any search you will find nudity

Any illness is terminal. Even a running nose can be brain fluid!

All of my home improvement projects still begin by opening a beer, but now I open YouTube also

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Google and some random stranger helped me fix our Keurig at work which was intermittently brewing less than half of the normal amount. Found a comment about turning it upside down and tapping on the bottom to supposedly release air bubbles and was shocked when it worked!
Google also taught me to use a paper clip to clean the coffee grounds from the needle that pokes into the K-cup.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Many car repairs, fixed a refrigerator, tiled a floor. I google things almost every day.

A couple of years ago our washing machine was making an awful screeching noise. Thought for sure that I would need to go buy a new one. Googled it. Found a You Tube video that basically said "Does your washer sound like this? if so, a bobby pin has likely worked it's way down through the system and is stuck in your water pump." It then gave step by step instructions on where to find the water pump. Removed the bobby pin and we are still using the washer today.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Many car repairs, fixed a refrigerator, tiled a floor. I google things almost every day.

A couple of years ago our washing machine was making an awful screeching noise. Thought for sure that I would need to go buy a new one. Googled it. Found a You Tube video that basically said "Does your washer sound like this? if so, a bobby pin has likely worked it's way down through the system and is stuck in your water pump." It then gave step by step instructions on where to find the water pump. Removed the bobby pin and we are still using the washer today.

Yeah, I've done a ton of things like that. Helps for fixing computer problems around the office too. Did you know that you can trick an Apple into thinking it's a new computer to get past the password protection and set up an admin account for yourself?

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I often use it when tracking down error messages and fixes at work. It's amazing how deep in a rabbit hole you can get trying to find what the solution is - and then a single page somewhere has enough of a hint to get things right.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Replacing the belt on our dryer.

Translating foreign phrases in books.

Figuring out how to get the headlight out of my car so I can replace a bulb.

Restoring sound on my wife's laptop, which I have to do after just about every Windows update. The instructions are on her desktop, and it takes less than 30 seconds and a reboot, but she always has me do it.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Lots of stuff already posted from solving arguments, to minor repairs and fixes.

It's not a fix, but google is great at helping me be a snarky smart ass. I can find a GIF of almost anything as well to help my internet snark abilities.

So there's that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron