FOOTBALL RECRUITING: Keithen English shows love for ISU

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
My bad. Wasn't Money a Chiz commit and then Rhoads had to convince him to still come? I think there were a couple of those guys. Sims maybe?

Technically you are somewhat correct(Whatever that means). ARob was going to quit and CHiz talked him inot staying so I have always given Chiz credit for him. Money and Sims were both guys who committed to PR.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Problem is the kid uses us as a fall back. in the mean time we think we have that slot filled and miss completely when he decommits instead of recruiting someone else.

This is true. Double edge.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I do get his philosophy about honoring committments. But its a kids future. If he feels some other situation best fits him, he has a right to change his mind. Its not like we were running a top 5 program at the time. Not sure if being hardass that early in the campaign was a good fit.

As do we. I never had a problem with doing that especially if the recruit knew how we ran ****. For one, he was taking some other recruits spot. Like it has been said if someone commits, you focus on that position a little less.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I would think that if English commits to ISU in the near future, that the ISU coaching staff would think of it as a soft commit considering his recent history. Just like I don't think they will put all their eggs in one basket if a kid has academic issues.

One positive is that if he does switch his commit right away, he is much more likely to come to ISU than if he stays with Memphis until almost the very end and then switches. It also shows what kind of positive impact the visit had on him, even if he does end up changing his mind again later.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The nice thing about English is that he has the body to start already on the line. The thing that is really exciting is the fact that he'll be a freshmen coming on to campus giving him 4 years to turn in to a beast.

Just because he's 300+ pounds doesn't mean that he's ready to start on the line. For that matter, even UT and OU, with their four and five star DL recruits, often redshirt them as first year freshmen.

On the other hand, English might also be much more likely to be ready to play as a redshirt freshman. :wink:

CYinPA

Oct 18, 2010
I do get his philosophy about honoring committments. But its a kids future. If he feels some other situation best fits him, he has a right to change his mind. Its not like we were running a top 5 program at the time. Not sure if being hardass that early in the campaign was a good fit.

So a kid doesn't have the right if it is a top-5 program?

Coaches at ISU do not take a commit, then later tell said commit no room. One thing you can count on, in this game of musical chairs, ISU will be the one hurt.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
My bad. Wasn't Money a Chiz commit and then Rhoads had to convince him to still come? I think there were a couple of those guys. Sims maybe?

My recollection is that CPR said he interviewed Money at length and talked with people who know Money before he renewed ISU's offer of a scholarship. I don't believe Money needed convincing, rather it seems CPR needed to be sure. FWIW.