FOOTBALL RECRUITING: JUCO DT Henry Simon commits

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
To be honest, I really don't expect anything from him other than being a warm body to rotate in with the starters to give them a breather. If he turns out to be better than that, great, but I'm curious as to why he didn't have any offers? We'll see.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Sounds like a great addition...if the coaches and Henry do their job he'll be a contributor...welcome to the family Henry

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I think that he helps provide some depth. It doesn't sound like Grossmont CC had that strong of a defense. And Henry Simon was a solid player but wasn't All-League by what I have read. But Grossmont CC did play in a very tough division.

Henry Simon has some size and skills so there is probably some potential.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
I think that he helps provide some depth. It doesn't sound like Grossmont CC had that strong of a defense. And Henry Simon was a solid player but wasn't All-League by what I have read. But Grossmont CC did play in a very tough division.

Henry Simon has some size and skills so there is probably some potential.
He had a pretty impressive highlight tape (better than Louvan Green's imo), but if anyone expects him to be anymore than our 4th DT you'll likely be disapointed. Depth is always good though.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
what year did he redshirt?
I'm guessing that he redshirted his first year at San Diego State.

Interesting interview from then:
Meet The Aztecs: Q&A With Henry Simon - San Diego State University Official Athletic Site

Not only the Chris Ash connection, but Bob Elliott was the defensive coordinator there.
San Diego State University Official Athletic Site - Football
2008 signing day quotes:

Asst. Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator Bob Elliott on Simon: "Henry Simon has the size that we are looking for in an interior defensive lineman. Henry hasn't played a whole lot of football in his life, so he has a lot of upside."

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Interesting that Chris Ash recruited him out of HS. Pure speculation but maybe he had been on our watch list all along or maybe he called coach Ash looking for a spot and got directed our way???

More likely Bobby Elliot knew of him from his time at SDSU as well.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
To be honest, I really don't expect anything from him other than being a warm body to rotate in with the starters to give them a breather. If he turns out to be better than that, great, but I'm curious as to why he didn't have any offers? We'll see.

This. Especially as DT is supposedly one of the harder positions for which to recruit. But I'm not complaining. The young man has the size to play the position, let Wally coach him up and I'm willing to sit back and see some disrupted plays by the opposing offense.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
He had a pretty impressive highlight tape (better than Louvan Green's imo), but if anyone expects him to be anymore than our 4th DT you'll likely be disapointed. Depth is always good though.

Agree. If Ruemp goes down, we are hurt real bad. Hopefully Simon can fill in the rotation and let some players develop more. And hopefully he can get minutes to keep our DL fresher for late in the game so that we don't wear down.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Wrong again, he's Simon and Garfunkel's cousin.
Why is that quarterback being sacked? Simon says!

I figure that even if it takes him a year to get up to speed, he'll still help fill Ruemp's shoes, until a '12 signee is ready to step in.

R1975P

Aug 17, 2009
Irvington
When was the last time ISU signed players this long AFTER signing day? Not one but 2, and was almost 3.Is this a sign of how hard our coaches work on bringing players in? I think this is a good sign about the future.

Go Cyclones

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
When was the last time ISU signed players this long AFTER signing day? Not one but 2, and was almost 3.Is this a sign of how hard our coaches work on bringing players in? I think this is a good sign about the future.
I'm going to take a wild guess...when they signed Tau'fo'ou and Lattimer in June. A couple of years ago. :wink:

Other late signees would include Hayworth Hicks and....?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron