Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Has anyone used a power rake to de-thatch their lawn and clean up excess old grass clippings? I was thinking of renting one to do it to my yard but wondering if it is worth the time and money? If it is, is it too late in the spring to de-thatch?
I rented one from Home Depot last year.
I don't know if I was doing something wrong, or if it was just a POS, but I couldn't keep it running.
It was like I couldn't throttle it high enough when running the tines; it would just die.
I got it to work but I had to go excruciatingly slow and ended up only doing my front yard.

Someone linked an electric one on Amazon that was around $150. That would be a good option since it would basically pay for itself after 1 or 2 uses, rather than renting.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Has anyone used a power rake to de-thatch their lawn and clean up excess old grass clippings? I was thinking of renting one to do it to my yard but wondering if it is worth the time and money? If it is, is it too late in the spring to de-thatch?
I've rented them before. They will pull up a ton for old grass clippings if it hasn't been done. I will most likely rent one in early September to rip out all the dead grass from the fungus and then overseed. Should also aerate, but if I get that done I think I will just pay for that. That machine is a beast and I'm not getting any younger.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I rented one from Home Depot last year.
I don't know if I was doing something wrong, or if it was just a POS, but I couldn't keep it running.
It was like I couldn't throttle it high enough when running the tines; it would just die.
I got it to work but I had to go excruciatingly slow and ended up only doing my front yard.

Someone linked an electric one on Amazon that was around $150. That would be a good option since it would basically pay for itself after 1 or 2 uses, rather than renting.
My issue with the $150 one is it's electric so you have to drag a cord around. It's also only 13 inches so you will have to make a lot of passes to get your yard done. Maybe if it had a rechargeable battery

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My issue with the $150 one is it's electric so you have to drag a cord around. It's also only 13 inches so you will have to make a lot of passes to get your yard done. Maybe if it had a rechargeable battery

I have it and like it but as I think was mentioned earlier the bag on it is insanely small so you are better off using it to get it up and then going over with the lawnmower to pick it all up.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Plus that buzzing electric sound isn't very manly... haha

I do agree with this but would also obviously depend on how large your yard is. I'd think for most residential lots it wouldn't be a huge deal to drag a cord around.

I'm also thinking cost benefit here. Pretty low investment for something you use once a year.
Those power rakes are heavy as hell too..

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have watched videos of people using corded lawn equipment and I'm always amazed at the lack of common sense. They are constantly struggling with the cord so they don't run over it. Does it take a rocket scientist to figure out that you start closest to where your cord is plugged in and gradually work your way away from the outlet? That way your cord is being dragged over area that you have already done and isn't in the way of where you are going.

Reactions: wxman1

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I have watched videos of people using corded lawn equipment and I'm always amazed at the lack of common sense. They are constantly struggling with the cord so they don't run over it. Does it take a rocket scientist to figure out that you start closest to where your cord is plugged in and gradually work your way away from the outlet? That way your cord is being dragged over area that you have already done and isn't in the way of where you are going.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Macloney

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Glad I put Grub-Ex down last Saturday afternoon. Got some good rain to activate it. Probably will be putting down some Milorganite this Saturday if doesn't rain. I usually will try and get the first round on fertilizer down in March,weather permitting, and round two aroudn Memorial Day.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Glad I put Grub-Ex down last Saturday afternoon. Got some good rain to activate it. Probably will be putting down some Milorganite this Saturday if doesn't rain. I usually will try and get the first round on fertilizer down in March,weather permitting, and round two aroudn Memorial Day.

I've never used Milorganite but considering trying it. Do you want to apply before dry weather or before rain? I'm already doing Earl May's 5-step program for lawn applications. In that case, is Milorganite unnecessary?

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I've never used Milorganite but considering trying it. Do you want to apply before dry weather or before rain? I'm already doing Earl May's 5-step program for lawn applications. In that case, is Milorganite unnecessary?
I am not sure about what they recommend, but I plan on putting it down before rain to let the rain water it in.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA

It's a slow-release organic nitrogen product. It does not need to be watered in. I don't think you would have a problem throwing milorganite in with a 4/5-step lawn program, but I don't think it is necessary. The Scott's and Earl May's program is synthetic fertilizer and works quickly. Milorganite is organic and works slowly. Myself, I eventually transitioned over to a mostly organic lawn program that includes 2-3 applications of Milorganite throughout the year.

Reactions: ruflosn

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

If it has never been done or you think it looks thatchy at first glance, get the rental. The rentals are beasts, I got 7 full bags from my small yard.

The electrics are good for maintaining after the initial dethatch.

In my personal experience, dethatching has provided 5x the benefit that aerating has provided. I actually don't think I will ever aerate again, it has done nothing for me.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
If it has never been done or you think it looks thatchy at first glance, get the rental. The rentals are beasts, I got 7 full bags from my small yard.

The electrics are good for maintaining after the initial dethatch.

In my personal experience, dethatching has provided 5x the benefit that aerating has provided. I actually don't think I will ever aerate again, it has done nothing for me.
I moved in 6 years ago and it was new construction so new sod. It has never been done. I am thinking I should do it since I mulch with my mower

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I'd just use the 30-0-3 you have on hand and see how it looks after a week or two.

Thanks for the suggestion. It has cone alive quite a bit but still not quite where I want it to be. I might be getting too particular though. I was hoping the overseeding would blend some of the dark and light patches but that hasn’t happened yet. I’m not quite sure the overseeding has done much at all yet TBH. Probably needs dethatched. The back yard is a bit of a mess from the dog, kids and a failure of a pool installation.

4AD16989-3555-4A92-96D9-FD943F8346F5.jpeg
8445E445-38C5-4F77-ACAF-2668BBFB65BC.jpeg
0290F24D-413D-4E5D-A5C0-1FB657DA4926.jpeg

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Next question is what the f is this white stuff? Im assuming it’s a fungus since it wipes off the blades. I thought it was from the pest people since it started around the edges of the house but it is now in random parts of the yard.

8AE782A5-4D73-4403-8724-1BC0865C6230.jpeg

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Next question is what the f is this white stuff? Im assuming it’s a fungus since it wipes off the blades. I thought it was from the pest people since it started around the edges of the house but it is now in random parts of the yard.

View attachment 72065

Powdery mildew. You can treat it or wait for the conditions that allow it to stop.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013

Rain doesn't matter for applying. It won't burn. It needs warmer temps to release the nitrogen because it is broken down by soil microbes and that's what makes it available to the plant. It works, but not nearly as quick as synthetic fertilizers. It's best used when soil temps are above 70 degrees.