Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spierceisu, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    Ratings:
    +15,126 / 189 / -1
    I haven't mowed since last Wednesday. Saturday was the last day without rain and it didn't need mowing then. Today we finally have some sunshine and it's been 24 hours since it stopped raining so I know what I'll be doing later. Plus I'll have to bag which takes twice as long.
    It's also time for a weed & feed. Been 6-7 weeks

2. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +7,291 / 185 / -2
    I finally got a chance to mow last night and put down Milorganite...I am afraid of what the next few weeks will bring for me mowing wise.

3. nocsious3

nocsious3 Active Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +794 / 120 / -29
    Milorganite is a good choice right now. Not a lot of fast acting nitrogen in it, so it should stay in the soil and feed slowly. With all this rain, none of us want to be hay farmers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +7,291 / 185 / -2
    BRB while I look up the price of hay.

5. AgronAlum

AgronAlum Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Ratings:
    +3,450 / 103 / -4
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just put down another round of Milorganite on Saturday. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what comes out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nocsious3

nocsious3 Active Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +794 / 120 / -29
    That should work well. I only suggested something with potassium in it because that can help plants deal with stress. Nitrogen drives the bus so it should all come out good.

7. spierceisu

spierceisu Active Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Waukee
    Ratings:
    +463 / 30 / -2
    I mowed my lawn on Friday and now I need to mow very badly. I will need to bag which will take a lot longer (i am not sure since I have a new mower and have never bagged before). I would have mowed earlier but having a 2 year old and a newborn makes it super hard to find time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. ruflosn

ruflosn Active Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +274 / 10 / -1
    If you don’t want to bag it, you can go over your lawn twice and give it the striped look.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. khardbored

khardbored Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Middle of the Midwest
    Ratings:
    +4,100 / 92 / -2
    Here's the one I got : LINK HERE

Edit: Looks like it's sold out from the main seller - it was around $130- $150, the "see all sellers" was showing more, so just need to keep a close eye on price fluxuation.

10. khardbored

khardbored Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Middle of the Midwest
    Ratings:
    +4,100 / 92 / -2
    Finding time to mow 2-3 times per week is rough this time of year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    Ratings:
    +15,126 / 189 / -1
    Got mine all mowed and bagged last night. Put down weed & feed first thing this morning while the grass was wet with the morning dew.
    Supposed to be sunny and dry today then 50% chance of rain on Saturday, 40% Sunday and 50% again on Monday. Hopefully I'll get some rain one of those days to get it rained in.

12. cyfan92

cyfan92 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Male
    Augusta National Golf Club
    Ratings:
    +2,440 / 220 / -12
    For people who bag their clippings.. I'm wondering why you do that? Is it for mulch in your gardens or what?

Endless research tells you that mulching the yard is far better for overall lawn health and it's free slow release fertilizer

13. Tailg8er

Tailg8er Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Male
    Accountant
    Johnston
    Ratings:
    +2,069 / 97 / -9
    My lawn is looking pretty healthy for the most part, haven't had to use irrigation yet with all the rain which is nice. Clover is my biggest nemesis thus far - I spot treated with Crossbow about a month ago and had good results, could see the clover dying within a few days. Unfortunately, new patches have popped up - getting ready to spot treat again. Any problems with applying once every 4 weeks?

[​IMG]

14. nocsious3

nocsious3 Active Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +794 / 120 / -29
    You can reduce your fertilizer by around 25% each year just by mulching the clippings, so it's a cost savings on fertilizer. With frequent mowing, clippings contribute little to nothing in the thatch layer. They break down and provide organic matter back to the soil.

Most of what these guys are pulling out using a dethacher is not actually thatch. It's mostly upright and dead grass material that would eventually break down over the summer, however removing it is still beneficial to clean out the canopy for new growth and air flow. They can reduce that need to dethatch in Spring by doing a low mow at the end of the year and collecting those clippings only at the end of the year. Honestly I don't see real thatch layer problems that often, except in the occasional bluegrass lawn that is over fertilized. Down south with warm season grasses, thatch can be a real issue.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. nocsious3

nocsious3 Active Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +794 / 120 / -29
    Are you spot spraying or doing a blanket application? If blanket, read the label for interval and max yearly application rates. I'm sure you're probably fine to spot spray again. Crossbow is 2,4-D and triclopyr if I remember correctly. That's a potent mix to kill a broad number of weeds effectively, but make sure you apply in the recommended temperature range. At high temps, it will cause turf injury.

16. spierceisu

spierceisu Active Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Waukee
    Ratings:
    +463 / 30 / -2
    I always try to mulch, but since my grass is so tall right now due to lack of time to mow, I want to bag so I don't choke out my grass with excessive clippings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
    Male
    Accountant
    Johnston
    Ratings:
    +2,069 / 97 / -9
    Yeah, just spot spraying directly on the b-stards, diluting according to the label. Will hopefully not need to once it gets hot as they'll all be eradicated, but I'll keep that in mind.

18. nocsious3

nocsious3 Active Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +794 / 120 / -29
    Peak Lawn, Fungicide, and Fun with stripes....

Peak Lawn:
    I wanted to prepare some of the guys who are just getting into the lawn thing about something that shouldn't discourage you. We're around peak lawn for the year. As it gets hotter, your turf will continue to look worse as the summer goes on. It really doesn't matter how much you water, if you feed it beer, and give it massages. It will get uglier through the summer months. We'll have another smaller peak in the Fall, and that's the most important time of the year to put your work in, but don't give up and think your Spring work was a waste. It will benefit you down the road.

Fungicide:
    Unfortunately hot and humid weather will bring on the fungus. The better your lawn looks, generally the more fungus is a problem. Denser turf has less air flow and therefore more fungus pressure. If you raked out the dead stuff leftover from Winter, that can help, but you might still get fungus problems. Should you treat it or run preventative fungicide you ask? That depends. Fungicide is expensive. A lot of times the turf will recover without fungicide. There are also risks in applying fungicide. Just like bacteria, fungus can develop resistance if you use the same product repeatedly. Many of the fungicide products are toxic to invertebrates in our waterways. Proper application to prevent runoff is very important, so it's for these reasons I don't generally recommend most people to self apply fungicides.

Lastly, Fun with Stripes from today's from today's mow.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  19. CYEATHAWK

CYEATHAWK Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Ratings:
    +1,964 / 96 / -12
    Try just making sure you have plenty of nitrogen. I have had good luck mixing milorganite with whatever weed-n-feed you like in the early spring, and then just keep periodically putting down the milorganite as the season unfolds. I stopped trying to kill clover a few years ago and started to try and discourage it with plenty of nitrogen. It isn't all gone....but coverage has been reduced by easily %75.

20. Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
    Male
    Accountant
    Johnston
    Ratings:
    +2,069 / 97 / -9
    I started using this Sunday program this year (1 treatment so far), this is my soil breakdown according to the sample I sent them.

upload_2020-5-29_16-25-41.png

You think supplementing their program with some milorganite would help? Where can you find that, place like Earl May? True Value maybe?