Excessive drinking by County map

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I thought I read this was based on laws around access. Wouldn't necessarily be actual consumption then.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
So, according to that map, Johnson County (Iowa City) is less of a drinking county than Cedar (very rural and elderly) right next door?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I remember going through Oklahoma probably 15 years ago and we had to fill out some special form to be able to drink beer with our meal. It was some county thing if I remember correctly.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This map should be basically be titled "Where it's ****** cold weather in winter and there's nothing better to do but drink"

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I remember going through Oklahoma probably 15 years ago and we had to fill out some special form to be able to drink beer with our meal. It was some county thing if I remember correctly.

I remember something like that in Texas to (probably 15 yrs ago). The county was "dry" but you could join a "club" (or something like that) if you wanted to be able to drink/buy a beer in a restaurant.

The entire "dry" county was hilarious because 1) the grocery stores still had about 1/4 of an aisle solely dedicated to mixers and such and 2) there were 3-4 liquor stores just across the county line, and I think they all had drive thrus as well so you didn't even have to get out of your car (or truck as was the case) in order to get your beer.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There's about 2 local articles/week about someone with their 6th or 7th OWI in WI so that map can't be far off since there's not really a ceiling.

It's a culture/right of passage type of deal just like it is in rural Iowa.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
I'm calling BS on the south
I would agree except for an experience the other day when hubby stopped at the gas station on his way home from work to pick up a case of Coors Light and the lady behind him in line goes "What day is it?" It was Wednesday, and she was judging him hardcore for buying beer on a Wednesday. She then proceeded to buy several packs of smokes. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I thought I read this was based on laws around access. Wouldn't necessarily be actual consumption then.
It was wild when I learned that you could go and buy a case of beer at the gas station after bar close in IA. Couldn't do that in WI. Someone in the group needed to be thinking ahead or you ended buying from the bar after 9PM at a premium.

Reactions: deadeyededric

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It was wild when I learned that you could go and buy a case of beer at the gas station after bar close in IA. Couldn't do that in WI. Someone in the group needed to be thinking ahead or you ended buying from the bar after 9PM at a premium.

Somehow there are some liquor stores that are exempt from that rule and can sell until midnight or used to be anyway.

Definitely was weird when I moved here but then I realized a) I rarely buy beer at that time and b) it just takes a little adjustment to plan your debauchery.

Reactions: Entropy

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Here’s hoping they don’t get a lot more granular with this data. I don’t need my mom calling worried about the darkest possible blue color located right at my house

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I've ran into this in rural TX within the last 5 years. You don't need a license to eat with an AR-15 strapped to your back, but they've got to scan my driver's license to serve me a beer?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Oklahoma (until very recently) had super backwards alcohol laws, but I've been down there a lot (family that I'm close to in Tulsa) and every Okie I've met sure liked booze. And not in the closeted Baptist way.

• Haha
Reactions: 2020cy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron