Excessive drinking by County map

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Big Shocker! Wisc leads the charge. This explains Packer fans wearing dairy products and animal carcasses on their heads.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am not sure I trust some of that data.

There should not be a hard line between white and blue between northern WV and southwest PA.

They are both part of the same ethnographic and socioeconomic region.

As they say about PA...

"Oh, Pennsylvania is Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and the rest of West Virginia."

I don't know why part of Appalachia would have really low rates and then, all the sudden, it would have moderate to high rates when you go across the PA-WV state line like that.

I have the same problem with other sets of state borders, too...

TX/OK/AR
LA/AR/MS
AL/GA/FL

Those cuts shouldn't be as sharp outside of Utah.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I am not sure I trust some of that data.

There should not be a hard line between white and blue between northern WV and southwest PA.

They are both part of the same ethnographic and socioeconomic region.

As they say about PA...

"Oh, Pennsylvania is Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and the rest of West Virginia."

I don't know why part of Appalachia would have really low rates and then, all the sudden, it would have moderate to high rates when you go across the PA-WV state line like that.

I have the same problem with other sets of state borders, too...

TX/OK/AR
LA/AR/MS
AL/GA/FL

Those cuts shouldn't be as sharp outside of Utah.
The hard cut lines make me wonder if it's because of State availability.
I mean, here in Iowa we can buy beer, wine, and liquor everywhere 7 days a week. Gas stations will fill up growlers, we have drinks to go legally post Covid now.

I just know some other States have way weirder purchasing opportunities.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I mean, here in Iowa we can buy beer, wine, and liquor everywhere 7 days a week. Gas stations will fill up growlers, we have drinks to go legally post Covid now.

I think pretty much every state has weirder laws than Iowa. Like in Ohio Costco doesn’t sell hard liquor. Only beer and wine.

Reactions: JP4CY

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I assume its just differences in what each state defines 'excessive drinking' as.

Reactions: BACyclone

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

That's why most of these maps are worthless. They assume certain behavior based on questionably relevant parameters.

I would argue that the **** ass cold weather in the north in itself leads to comparably more consumption if for no other reason than the fact that there's nothing better to do when you can't or don't wan to go outside. But I'm guessing climate wasn't factored in. :p

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That's why most of these maps are worthless. They assume certain behavior based on questionably relevant parameters.

I would argue that the **** ass cold weather in the north in itself leads to comparably more consumption if for no other reason than the fact that there's nothing better to do when you can't or don't wan to go outside. But I'm guessing climate wasn't factored in. :p

I mean, climate may be the cause of it, but i'm not sure we should 'factor in' climate to this kind of metric

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I think pretty much every state has weirder laws than Iowa. Like in Ohio Costco doesn’t sell hard liquor. Only beer and wine.

Last I knew the booze had to be outside the main building in South Carolina Costcos.

Also no Sunday sales (Dis **** not legal today).

Haven't been there in a few years, maybe they changed.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The rules on Sunday sales, etc. are stupid. If you want it, you will get it.

Reactions: BACyclone

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I assume its just differences in what each state defines 'excessive drinking' as.
I agree it's gotta be data collection related. The 'opportunity' hypothesis makes sense, but I don't think it stands up. In NJ they only had out a few liquor licenses per township. No convenience stores, no (few) grocery store, etc and we're still pretty blue. PA has some really stupid laws like you have to buy by the case at state run liquor stores. Agree with the poster above that there is little difference between rural PA and WV but it's even more unbelievable that WV is LESS. Gotta be how it's measured.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

True fact. In Texas, you can't buy liquor on Sundays or holidays (or past 9:00 PM on other days).

In Alabama, there are LOTS of dry counties. Also can't buy alcohol until noon on Sunday, liquor can only be bought in certain locations (state stores, or other stores that jump through the hoops of selling liquor), etc.

In Oklahoma, they sell lower-alcohol beer in stores. If you want the real stuff, you have to get it in a liquor store, and I believe they sell it to you warm.