Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Terrible thing for bubu if he did nothing wrong, horrible lapse in judgement regardless, but every human being is guilty of that, but how does he ever get a job now? Anybody can google him now and get a million horrible stories.
I really wish people would stop Callin it a lapse in judgment. Having sex with an ex should not be considered a lapse in judgement. Short of that, nothing else is proven. In fact there is more info out there in Bubu's favor than against.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
The situation is longer about Bubu. It's moved on to who has authority over their student athletes, the University or the courts. The Law of Unintended Consequences.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
The situation is longer about Bubu. It's moved on to who has authority over their student athletes, the University or the courts. The Law of Unintended Consequences.

See that is sort of true but not totally. It could be determining if the President has power over student athletes or if the AD has the power. I think a lot of people misunderstand that. The athletic department reinstated him. The president suspended him. I question why the president has any authority over athletic eligibility. If the president thinks someone should be suspended from school or something then the AD should have to follow it but the president shouldn't be able to decide athletic eligibility by itself. That us ine if the ADs jobs.

Now the courts are more focusing on the process than anything. Why was Leaths decision delayed. Why did it take three months too essentially rubber stamp the decision.

I don't think the courts want to decide eligibility they also want to make sure that the appropriate people are making that decision within the university. The other thing they want to make sure is was procedure followed or has the process been corrupted.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Confirms the story that was going around Ames that the girl was trying to appease her mad boyfriend and destroy BuBu's basketball career, and Leath and JP are backing her instead of one of their athletes that is a 2 time academic all Big 12 player. Unbelievable. Seriously, ISU alums and fans need to pressure Leath and JP to end this fiasco before it gets even worse and ISU athletics is seriously damaged.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
If Leath knew that (which would have been obvious at that point) there is no reason Leath is competent to lead Iowa State.

Yes, I went there.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
If Leath knew that (which would have been obvious at that point) there is no reason Leath is competent to lead Iowa State.

Yes, I went there.

The sad thing is, they're still making it sound like Bubu shouldn't be on the team!

Leath is already in the wrong, JP is looking stupid. If the two admit they ****ed up, everything will clear up eventually. The two are just dragging it out and making it worse for us.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I really wish people would stop Callin it a lapse in judgment. Having sex with an ex should not be considered a lapse in judgement. Short of that, nothing else is proven. In fact there is more info out there in Bubu's favor than against.

In my experience sex with an ex is always a serious lapse in judgment. :spinny:

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012

No it isnt. All public school student discipline is subject to due process (per the supeme court) which in this case includes judicial review per (iowa law). The president of a university has authority over his students but the court may review to ensure due process and fairness. If it wasn't founded it would have been tossed, in Iowa any ruling by a public body is subject to due process.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The Ethos article is about the criminal case. The case involved the Student Code of Conduct is a totally different matter. There is a very long list of violations and a much lower threshold of evidence for guilt than in a criminal case. At this point, we don't even know what violations Leath found him guilty of. Maybe Leath threw him under the bus, but I doubt it. It is possible that Leath looked carefully at the evidence and thought that Bubu was indeed guilty. If so, then it would be unethical for him to have done anything else. I recognize this is speculation, but I think we at least owe Leath some benefit of the doubt until we know more facts.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Consistent with the theory that Leath's actions were the result of pressure from some out-of-line special interest.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was someone else advocating for the alleged victim and/or against Bubu or his kind (namely, alleged sexual assaulters who are convicted, athletes who get away with misconduct, etc).

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
The Ethos article is about the criminal case. The case involved the Student Code of Conduct is a totally different matter. There is a very long list of violations and a much lower threshold of evidence for guilt than in a criminal case. At this point, we don't even know what violations Leath found him guilty of. Maybe Leath threw him under the bus, but I doubt it. It is possible that Leath looked carefully at the evidence and thought that Bubu was indeed guilty. If so, then it would be unethical for him to have done anything else. I recognize this is speculation, but I think we at least owe Leath some benefit of the doubt until we know more facts.

You don't get it. There are so many people who are guilty of breaking the code of conduct that aren't even charged. Then there's the fact that even if he is guilty you have to find others guilty and you have to give him a similar punishment.

The other thing is why does the president say if you can be in athletics. That should be a question for Pollard not Leath.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
If we're gonna kick people off the team for having sex, why don't we just call ourselves BYU of IA?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I just realized that this is all stemming from the same incident. Thought Bubu had got past the first one, then got arrested again for something else this has been going for so long.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
You don't get it. There are so many people who are guilty of breaking the code of conduct that aren't even charged. Then there's the fact that even if he is guilty you have to find others guilty and you have to give him a similar punishment.

The other thing is why does the president say if you can be in athletics. That should be a question for Pollard not Leath.

I agree that Bubu seems to have been singled out for punishment. And I've suspected on a few occasions that someone with an agenda singled him out in a manner than may be construed as unfair. If you read the Code, it seems like just about anyone could be found guilty but almost no one ever is. That is, until Bubu.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
while this is true Leath cannot blindly rule on any violation. He was ruling on an appeal of a charge of sexual misconduct in the form of sexual assault (read the ruling). He reversed the alj judge on the finding that it was unfounded. Sexual assault is what we are talking about, that is a known fact now.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
while this is true Leath cannot blindly rule on any violation. He was ruling on an appeal of a charge of sexual misconduct in the form of sexual assault (read the ruling). He reversed the alj judge on the finding that it was unfounded. Sexual assault is what we are talking about, that is a known fact now.

If true, then I missed it when I read the ruling. I remember that the ruling makes reference to the criminal case as part of the background for the case, but I don't recall the part where a charge of sexual misconduct was explicitly stated as the violation of the Student Code.

Where in the ruling did you find this? Maybe I didn't read it as carefully as I thought I did.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
2014-01-18-17-35-22.png This was the charge the ALJ ruled on and overturned by Leath. What is interesting is BOTH the university and the accuser appealed the decision. Though I do believe the university must automatically appeal any ruling by an ALJ when student violence is accused regardless of result.