ESPN's Big 12 blog picks Cyclones to go winless in league

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Sad thing is just how plausible that scenario is...though I wouldn't put money on it. Perception of the program really hasn't changed nationwide. Not seen as a threat, not taken seriously.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Here comes the snark and ridicule:

I'm really concerned we're gonna start the season 0-5 and 1-7 .................
because I feel our D will be weaker and our O won't catch on till later in the season.

Reactions: CyBobby

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
We were down last year and this this year could be tough, but we have been dominating KU the last couple of years, and I don't see why anyone would expect differently.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Jennifer-Lawrence-Nod-Yes.gif

solid jlaw gif but I prefer this Jlaw gif

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
We'd basically have to win a national championship for anyone else to care about ISU football. It will never surprise me, and we haven't earned any respect anyway.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Started at the bottom now we here.... Still at the bottom...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I remember when writers for major publications like ESPN used to have at least some semblance of a clue.

Guess I'm getting old.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It is awfully hard to lose every game in conference.
Possible, but that's really tough to do

Yep.

Anything is possible, sure. But I find it hard to believe ISU wouldn't get at least one among KU, Tech and West Virginia ... and maybe outside shot at stealing OSU/TCU.

West Virginia at 4-5? I'd have to go back and check the game-by-game predictions, but that seems high. KU at home, probable, at ISU perhaps ... TCU at home maybe. then what, KSU? at OSU?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
First thing that comes to mind....I love Major League.

"All right people, we got 10 minutes 'till game time, let's all gather 'round. I'm not much for giving inspirational addresses, but I'd just like to point out that every newspaper in the country has picked us to finish last. The local press seems to think that we'd save everyone the time and trouble if we just went out and shot ourselves. Me, I'm for wasting sportswriters' time. So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give 'em all a nice big ****burger to eat!"
Wow I can't believe the exact same quote came to my mind. Deleting my post!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
In all honesty, this team is just way too hard to judge. I could see us going anywhere from 1-11 to 7-5, and that's no joke.

There are just a ton of question marks going into the season. The offense has been atrocious ever since Rhoads set foot on campus as the head coach. Every year we think we have a lot of talent on the offensive side, but it never leads to very many victories. The "hope" they are selling us this year is that Mangino is going to come in and turn this thing completely around in one year. Seems like many across the country are doubting whether he can do that or not, and you can't blame them. It's tough to make much of a difference in your first year.

The other problem offensively is we're not sure what we have at QB? That's kind of a big deal folks. We could have all the talent in the world, but if you don't have an above average to good QB, it won't really matter. So, even with all the talent we think we have at RB, WR, TE, etc..... and even with the addition of Mangino, it may not matter a whole lot if we get poor QB play.

And defensively.... who knows what to think honestly? We lost a LOT off of last year's defense, but of course, last year's defense stunk, so maybe that's a positive? Maybe the younger, inexperienced talent will be an improvement over guys like Irving, Coe, George, Washington, Broomfield, etc? Who knows? But there is a decent chance that the defense could be worse than last year since we'll be younger and less experienced too. Why wouldn't the national pundits think that when they look at what we're returning? You can't really blame them.

So a 2-10 prediction isn't all that surprising, and it really shouldn't be to any of us either IMO. You can easily make the argument that we were bad last year, and we could be worse this year. That is not a hard case to make.

However, if Mangino is the genius we all think and hope, and we get really good QB play, and the defense ends up being better than we think, we could also somehow end up doubling our win total from last year as well IMO. It truly is anyone's guess this year. So don't be surprised with any predictions.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Here comes the snark and ridicule:

I'm really concerned we're gonna start the season 0-5 and 1-7 .................
because I feel our D will be weaker and our O won't catch on till later in the season.

I am worried about our offense as well. Most programs that change offensive coordinators struggle the first year. Im sure our offense will be better than last year (how can it get worse) but Im not sure it will improve enough to overcome our defense.

Cyhawkuni

Oct 27, 2013
With talent on offense (wr,rb, and ol core) and a defense that will be better than expected (not saying much but better) we will win 5-6 games. We will have the element of surprise and under-estimation in most games. Nds, Kansas, Toledo, tcu will be wins with a surprise win somewhere.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I just don't get how anyone can be angry, upset, shocked, surprised, or any emotion close to those, about this prediction. If you step away from being an ISU fan for a second and look at it, it's definitely possible and somewhat likely that we go winless in conference. But we just have to take this in stride and try to prove them wrong. Hopefully we will, for all our sake's.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Why do TCU and WVU keep getting so much respect? It is not like they have been great teams since joining the conference.
If last years team had any form of offense last year things would have been different. Any MM offense is better than the crap we had last year. As for KU beating ISU, there is a coach on staff that has probably had that game circled since the day he was hired

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
ISU has absolutely destroyed KU the last 2 years, and I don't see that changing this year, even if the game is at KU. WVU, TCU and TT all were not very good last year. Not saying ISU will be great, but they will be better with the offensive coaching changes, and less internal friction on the coaching staff. I still firmly believe that 30% of the offensive failure from last year was that Messingham was in way, way over his head, and struggled with even getting plays in from the sideline on time.