ESPN projecting us in Texas Bowl

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
You're right. It's not as if he signed Lyle, LJ, Kennard, Benton, Maggitt, Ruemp, Haughton, KO, Burris, Collin Franklin, Schwartz, Sed Johnson, Darius Darks, Tiller....:jimlad:

He said "deserves credit" as in, SOME credit, not all of the credit...:eek:

The great unknown is, would we have got those or equally as good players without Chizik?

Should he get some of the credit, I personally say no because he couldn't even win with the player he brought in. All the credit goes to Rhoads for developing those players, coaching those players and putting those players in the system that would win games.

Giving Chizik credit for this season would be like giving the guy who sold the piece a land that the first Wal-Mart was built on credit of creating the worlds largest store chain. Only in this case Chizik paid to get rid of it.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Credit for what? Leaving? Yes, a number of Chizik's players are contributing, but IMO McCarney's players are playing an even bigger role (Arnaud, Robinson, Hamilton, Stephens, Parker, Garrin, Raven, Smith, Smith and Brandtner). Should we give McCarney a lot of credit as well? No matter what happens this season, I'm not giving Chizik any credit. It's not like Chizik redshirted a bunch of guys last season to set us up for a great season. This year's team is pretty much the same as last year's team (minus RJ Sumrall and Kurtis Taylor).

I agree 100%. By my count on the depth chart we are starting 12 players signed by Mac and 10 players signed by Chizik....and we've had three signing classes since Mac left. What happens when Mac's players last players go -- did Chizik recruit replacements for Arnaud, Robinson, Hamilton, Stephens, Parker, Garrin, Smith, & Brandtner, and redshirt them to keep the pipeline full? If so, where are they? IMO Chizik recruited a few high quality players but not nearly enough. Rhoads will be behind the 8-ball with recruiting a lot of players who will have to play right away to make up for Chizik's recruiting.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The great unknown is, would we have got those or equally as good players without Chizik?

Should he get some of the credit, I personally say no because he couldn't even win with the player he brought in. All the credit goes to Rhoads for developing those players, coaching those players and putting those players in the system that would win games.

Giving Chizik credit for this season would be like giving the guy who sold the piece a land that the first Wal-Mart was built on credit of creating the worlds largest store chain. Only in this case Chizik paid to get rid of it.

The players he brought in were freshmen and sophmores and they were taking spots from juniors and seniors... I think that says alot of what he walked into. Players improve the most from their first year on the field to the second. You don't know what you have in a coach untill year 3 and 4, we will never know what Chizik could have been, especially with a mulligan with his coordinators (although I still think McFarland was a good hire).

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
The players he brought in were freshmen and sophmores and they were taking spots from juniors and seniors.

They didn't take those spots, they were given those spots. We should collectively apologize to Marquis Hamilton for the pine time he saw last year.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They didn't take those spots, they were given those spots. We should collectively apologize to Marquis Hamilton for the pine time he saw last year.

BS, he saw the field plenty early in the season and wasn't getting open and didn't look 100%, he lost his spot it wasn't given away.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
To me, you playing what if arguments. We don't know if Chizik would have done better this year at ISU if he had stayed. He never gave himself the opportunity. I'm not angry about him leaving like some are, but I don't think he should get credit because someone was able to do something with his players that he couldn't do anything with.

Three times already, I have been hired to take over management and clean up an organization. Usually I don't have to fire anyone because they either can't take it and will quit or they will choose to work to my standards. So after a year and the place is running better and more efficiently with basically the same employees, should I give the previous manager some of the credit for hiring good employees? NO. The credit goes to the employees that are currently working there and not to the former employee that put us in a hole.

Now some may argue that Chizik didn't put us in a hole, but the fact is that Chizik wasn't even able to match the win total that got Mac fired. If he didn't put us in a hole, he should have stuck around and proved it. I think we are seeing what a difference good management can make.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
So after a year and the place is running better and more efficiently with basically the same employees, should I give the previous manager some of the credit for hiring good employees? NO.
Not an apt comparison. Apples and oranges at bet, quality football playrs are more similar to a commodity or raw material, the coach does refining,sure, but the higher qualty material that goes in,the better quality the finihed product.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Not an apt comparison. Apples and oranges at bet, quality football playrs are more similar to a commodity or raw material, the coach does refining,sure, but the higher qualty material that goes in,the better quality the finihed product.

I know what your trying to say, but all employees have talent. Also, this is the first time I've managed real estate of any kind and the first time I've not had a 20+ employees to manage. Employees make or break you which makes training and supervision very important. I don't really think there is that much of a difference.

Think about all the talent that Colorado supposedly has, or Norte Dame or the list goes on. Yes, talent does play a factor, but don't underestimate good coaching.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I agree 100%. By my count on the depth chart we are starting 12 players signed by Mac and 10 players signed by Chizik....and we've had three signing classes since Mac left. What happens when Mac's players last players go -- did Chizik recruit replacements for Arnaud, Robinson, Hamilton, Stephens, Parker, Garrin, Smith, & Brandtner, and redshirt them to keep the pipeline full? If so, where are they? IMO Chizik recruited a few high quality players but not nearly enough. Rhoads will be behind the 8-ball with recruiting a lot of players who will have to play right away to make up for Chizik's recruiting.

Arnaud- Tiller
Robinson- Schwartz/Williams
Hamilton- Money/Darks/Sed Johnson
Parker- Laing
Smith/Garrin-weak spot AJ Klein?
Brandtner- ISU already has 3 kickers on scholarship, yes they will need a punter for next season but no real need to RS someone.

Chizik's recruiting, while overrated by some here, did not leave the cupboard barren, the degree of credit he deserves for the season's success is quite debatable.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Arnaud- Tiller
Parker- Laing
Brandtner- ISU already has 3 kickers on scholarship, yes they will need a punter for next season but no real need to RS someone.

Chizik's recruiting, while overrated by some here, did not leave the cupboard barren, the degree of credit he deserves for the season's success is quite debatable.

Money & Klein were signed by Rhoads, not Chizik.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Money & Klein were signed by Rhoads, not Chizik.
Signed but not originally recruited by, sure Rhoads may have happened upon both of them but it was Chizik and his staff that laid the groundwork there.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008

you are correct. i believe the quote(paraphrase) from chizik was as follows: "i'm not going to let the players that got dan mccarney fired, get me fired" and that was said directly to the team.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Arnaud- Tiller
Parker- Laing

funny how the attitude towards chiziks recruiting changed after he left town. before that, consensus was that we'd never been more athletic or had better players ever before......:no:.....now his recruiting stunk.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Colorado is winnable, but not a given.

They're 1-2 right now, and I have a tough time seeing more than 2 wins in this group:
at West Virginia
at Texas
Kansas
at Kansas State
Missouri
Texas A&M

That means 3-6 at best when they come to Ames, and Hawkins could be approaching lame duck status.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
funny how the attitude towards chiziks recruiting changed after he left town. before that, consensus was that we'd never been more athletic or had better players ever before......:no:.....now his recruiting stunk.

I can't speak for anyone else, but his recruiting didn't stink. I still don't think he should be given credit because Rhoads was able to do something with the talent that Chizik couldn't do anything with.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
What type of games do you have left? K-state is winnable. Colorado is winnable, but not a given. Who else?

They're 1-2 right now, and I have a tough time seeing more than 2 wins in this group:
at West Virginia
at Texas
Kansas
at Kansas State
Missouri
Texas A&M

That means 3-6 at best when they come to Ames, and Hawkins could be approaching lame duck status.

It would be even better if Hawkins was already canned and they had one of the Coordinators as the Interim head coach. That would really demoralize them.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
at West Virginia
at Texas
Kansas
at Kansas State
Missouri
Texas A&M

In this same vein, BU has us between OU and OSU and now without Griffin. It's all predicated on a win vs. KSU but when Baylor comes to Ames on homecoming our guys should be ready to get after it and Baylor will be on the mend and looking past us (I hope).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron