ESPN morning show "Get Up"

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't get their programming at all right now. My favorite of their 'new shows' was High Noon which they just moved and reduced to 30 minutes from an hour.

Their college football programming is complete garbage unless you're an SEC fan or hate Urban Meyer (same demographic).

That whole network might as well save money by just going black when live sports aren't on.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I see the start time for Get Up has been pushed back an hour. ESPN has sunk a lot of money into this failure of a show. I wonder how much longer before they accept defeat.

Seems like Greenberg may have overplayed his hand. Dude got paid, which I'm sure he doesn't regret. However, he went from being well paid on a show where you can have fun every day to getting a huge payday and taking part in a dumpster fire each morning.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
That whole network might as well save money by just going black when live sports aren't on.

If I'm home I'll watch Lebatard in the morning. I still DVR Highly Question, PTI, and Jalen and Jacoby, but yes anything else is complete trash. I hardly watch them either, just if I'm bored (DVR often backs up to like 30 episodes before I even notice).

Totally agree on the College Football shows, they are just terrible. Wish there was a good option to just get a recap with discussion on TV.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I will give ESPN credit for trying stuff. Sports highlight shows are a thing of the past. Now people can get hyper local coverage and shows for most teams they follow thanks to podcasts and stuff like that. I mean they still have Sportscenter running all morning on ESPN 2. I guess I am not sure what people are looking for out of ESPN anymore except live sports? There is too much access to instant highlights and commentary anymore that it has carved into ESPN's product.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
PTI is the only ESPN talk/debate show I can stand. Otherwise I listen to the Clay Travis - DP Show - Cowherd radio line up at work.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I will give ESPN credit for trying stuff. Sports highlight shows are a thing of the past. Now people can get hyper local coverage and shows for most teams they follow thanks to podcasts and stuff like that. I mean they still have Sportscenter running all morning on ESPN 2. I guess I am not sure what people are looking for out of ESPN anymore except live sports? There is too much access to instant highlights and commentary anymore that it has carved into ESPN's product.

I am surprised they have not just gone to radio simulcasts full-time when not either live sports or event programming (i.e., College GameDay, pregame coverage for major games, awards shows, or selection/ranking shows associated with college sports).

If the ratings are the same and sticking a camera on your radio guys costs you next to nothing compared to "talent," I figure why not go for the cheaper option, right?

• Agree
Reactions: wclarson

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I am surprised they have not just gone to radio simulcasts full-time when not either live sports or event programming (i.e., College GameDay, pregame coverage for major games, awards shows, or selection/ranking shows associated with college sports).

If the ratings are the same and sticking a camera on your radio guys costs you next to nothing compared to "talent," I figure why not go for the cheaper option, right?
I don't know this for certain, but I'd have to assume the TV space creates a lot more advertising revenue.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
PTI is the only ESPN talk/debate show I can stand.

Although I don't watch it often anymore, PTI still works well. It can touch on hot sports topics of the day, with a time limit for each, a steady, consistent format, Kornheiser and Wilbon have good chemistry, they don't take themselves too seriously, the show has a playful tone without being silly.

Mike & Mike had similar types of qualities that I think worked best if you consumed it as a "drive-time morning radio show." You could tune in for any 30-minute or 1-hour section from the 4-hour slot and get the gist. I used to watch M&M quite a bit, their best foot forward was NFL analysis, especially post-Sunday highlight roundups.

I began to realize their expertise of most other sports wasn't all that strong. Greenberg especially seemed clueless about college basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA

My biggest issue with ESPN is that its the same storylines being discussed all day. Every show is literally the same lineup with a different talking head. The lack of creativity and innovation in the broadcasting makes me yawn. (i feel the same about most national news networks too).

The Hyper Localization of sports is what they should capitalize on. They could break their programming up to go more indepth into geographical areas. The timeslots that naturally have fewer viewers would cover areas like the northwest while their more popular timeslots could cover areas like the Northeast and Southeast parts of the country. Having local journalist do guest appearances (i.e. video conference or phone interviews) makes it easy to put content together and you know those personalities would be putting that programming info out there to increase awareness from the local audiences so you even delegate your marketing in a way.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My biggest issue with ESPN is that its the same storylines being discussed all day. Every show is literally the same lineup with a different talking head. The lack of creativity and innovation in the broadcasting makes me yawn. (i feel the same about most national news networks too).

The Hyper Localization of sports is what they should capitalize on. They could break their programming up to go more indepth into geographical areas. The timeslots that naturally have fewer viewers would cover areas like the northwest while their more popular timeslots could cover areas like the Northeast and Southeast parts of the country. Having local journalist do guest appearances (i.e. video conference or phone interviews) makes it easy to put content together and you know those personalities would be putting that programming info out there to increase awareness from the local audiences so you even delegate your marketing in a way.
Much like the all news stations, there just isn't enough content to fill 24 hours so they rely on making up stuff to talk about. ESPN needs to go back to what made it work. Sportscenter and Australian Rules Football.

• Funny
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Much like the all news stations, there just isn't enough content to fill 24 hours so they rely on making up stuff to talk about. ESPN needs to go back to what made it work. Sportscenter and Australian Rules Football.

I'd be for this. if football goes away, let's just switch to aussie rules football. I'm sure we can make it just as punishing/entertaining.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'd be for this. if football goes away, let's just switch to aussie rules football. I'm sure we can make it just as punishing/entertaining.
giphy.gif

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
PTI and Around the Horn are great. Rest, is basically garbage
I like them both the best, too, with a preference for PTI but @wclarson above is right -- the overlap of the chosen topics feels like it's 90%. I feel like they could dig deeper for interesting topics beyond the day's hot take on Duke, Aaron Rodgers and Tiger Woods (to name a few examples).

• Agree
Reactions: wclarson

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I didn't realize they got rid of both of them now. I'm not sure who that new guy is but when I googled his name it's a bunch of results about how terrible the show is and how he's and idiot.

What happened to Jalen and Jacoby. I like their show.

I also like LeBatard, but realize I'm in the minority there.

LeBatard's show is fantastic. Somehow making a sports talk radio show that revolves around showing how ridiculous sports talk radio is works for me. I can handle Gottlieb's show, Patrick and Cowherd, because at least they have good interviews and might have a bit of a different perspective that they at least attempt to back up with some facts that might be overlooked. It's not something I seek out, but if captive in a car they will do to pass the time.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
LeBatard's show is fantastic. Somehow making a sports talk radio show that revolves around showing how ridiculous sports talk radio is works for me. I can handle Gottlieb's show, Patrick and Cowherd, because at least they have good interviews and might have a bit of a different perspective that they at least attempt to back up with some facts that might be overlooked. It's not something I seek out, but if captive in a car they will do to pass the time.

Gottlieb's show is about the only one I'll actively seek out anymore. He's really good.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I'm on board with this. LeBatard and Stugotz are the best thing ESPN has IMO. I love the fact they make fun of sports talk shows, and don't take sports too seriously too. Highly Questionable is great for the same reason. They just have fun, and LeBatard's dad is hilarious.

I also have no problem with PTI and Around the Horn as well. Always have enjoyed Kornheiser.

But Mike and Mike was like fingernails on a chalkboard. And now Get Up is even worse, and Golic and Wingo is ok, but still don't care for Golic Jr being on ESPN only because daddy got him a job. He's actually not bad, better than his dad, I just hate that nepotism garbage.

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth