ESPN morning show "Get Up"

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Wild guess that a President of the United States obsessed with a twitter war against the NFL may have at least a little something to do with it.

Sports journalists talking a little about political angles in sports isn't out of the ordinary (and sometimes it's THEIR JOB to do it). A president fixated on attacking athletes is a crazy and embarrassing anomaly.

Well there is a reason the ratings are horrible. They said this show would cover politics. Which explains why 280k watched it. Meanwhile a carton in Disney is being in 850k

They don’t have to cover politics like they do. Half the shows are basically political show. Which sports fans don’t want. It’s been proven they don’t want them.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Their radio lineup is a disaster. The only national show I really seek out anymore is Gottlieb's, which is actually pretty decent. They advertised Greenberg's new show originally as going more with a political slant (in spite of the backlash they'd already received for their politics), then after taking a beating over that on social media went with "Well, only when sports and politics intersect will we broach the subject".

When was the last time you watched/listened to ESPN? Gottlieb hasn't been there in more than 5 years. He was with CBS until he moved to FOX late last year.

Reactions: jmeeksISU

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Well there is a reason the ratings are horrible. They said this show would cover politics. Which explains why 280k watched it. Meanwhile a carton in Disney is being in 850k

They don’t have to cover politics like they do. Half the shows are basically political show. Which sports fans don’t want. It’s been proven they don’t want them.

You aren't wrong. Neither am I. Can't separate the two.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am just surprised they want to try and compete in that market. Morning talk is saturated. Radio simulcasts get you the same audience at a fraction of the cost. Your whole VA as ESPN is supposed to be live content people cannot DVR around.

Go back to the filler or the niche product when not featured games. I know some smarty-pants in management probably wants to maximize their return 24/7, but sometimes you have to admit you are marking time until you make money on weekends/prime time.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
When was the last time you watched/listened to ESPN? Gottlieb hasn't been there in more than 5 years. He was with CBS until he moved to FOX late last year.

Correct. I'm not sure why you think I thought otherwise.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I
Several years ago I didn't care for them as much, but now I just love how they mock the stupid things in sports. They at least make me laugh. Watching them announce the National Championship college football game on ESPN3 was awesome IMO. I would watch Lebatard and Stugotz announce nearly every major sporting event if it was an option on ESPN3. They poked fun at everything.

In regards to Greeny's new show..... just AWFUL. I've never liked Greeny that much anyway, but to put Beadle with him.... yikes, that's turrible. And why they put Greeny's new show up against Golic's new show is beyond me. I never liked either one, but why put them up against one another? And Golic Jr..... he's not terrible, but he would have never been hired if not for Daddy.... and now to put him on Daddy's show too.... unbearable. And I like poor Trey Wingo. Feel bad for him.

Oh man I had no clue that happened. That would have been great to listen too!

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I liked Greenberg on "Mike and Mike" and used to have that on getting ready in the morning sometimes. He had great chemistry with Mike Golic. I wonder if his ambition to be something bigger than one of the two Mikes has led him to a show that's a disaster (haven't seen it yet).

Trey Wingo is good with Golic now, IMO. Haven't seen this new one yet - will check it out next week.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't even remember any advertising for this new show. Very different from the constantly hyped show with the silly name that didn't make sense for 3/4 of the country and for which the commercials were better than anything on the show.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I liked Greenberg on "Mike and Mike" and used to have that on getting ready in the morning sometimes. He had great chemistry with Mike Golic. I wonder if his ambition to be something bigger than one of the two Mikes has led him to a show that's a disaster (haven't seen it yet).

Trey Wingo is good with Golic now, IMO. Haven't seen this new one yet - will check it out next week.
I have tried turning this show on a couple of times. It just isn't very good. Not sure why they split up Mike & Mike to just have them compete against each other. Must be some sort of ego trip at work here.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
How many more signs does ESPN need to show that Americans don't want politics mixed with their sports?

This is 100% self-inflicted by ESPN.

If I want politics in the morning I'd tune into CNN, MSNBC, or Fox.... not ESPN.

Who is in charge of programming at ESPN. Any one of us on here could do better.

Reactions: cycloneworld

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Everyone saying for ESPN to keep politics out of the shows, but I don't really think they are injecting them in shows directly. They are moving to a personality based programming lineup. Everything has to be about debates and hot takes now which will include politics at times. It just the way media as a whole is moving. Everything in media is about influencers now and the reaction you can generate.

People can get news, highlights and those type of things directly sent to them now on their phone. They wouldn't be moving to these types of shows if the standard highlight show was still doing the same viewers and such. ESPN is still the best for live events. Also, the decline in viewers has way more to do with cable cutting than politics.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Everyone saying for ESPN to keep politics out of the shows, but I don't really think they are injecting them in shows directly. They are moving to a personality based programming lineup. Everything has to be about debates and hot takes now which will include politics at times. It just the way media as a whole is moving. Everything in media is about influencers now and the reaction you can generate.

People can get news, highlights and those type of things directly sent to them now on their phone. They wouldn't be moving to these types of shows if the standard highlight show was still doing the same viewers and such. ESPN is still the best for live events. Also, the decline in viewers has way more to do with cable cutting than politics.

I think sports programs on TV are also competing heavily with podcasts. I used to put ESPN on the TV for some background chatter, but now it is even easier to put on a podcast with Chris Williams (for ISU stuff) or somebody like Bill Barnwell if I just want general NFL content. There are countless options for whatever niche or team/program that you enjoy.

It used to be ESPN was your one choice and you had to live with their general sports talk content, but there are just so many options out there now.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I think sports programs on TV are also competing heavily with podcasts. I used to put ESPN on the TV for some background chatter, but now it is even easier to put on a podcast with Chris Williams (for ISU stuff) or somebody like Bill Barnwell if I just want general NFL content. There are countless options for whatever niche or team/program that you enjoy.

It used to be ESPN was your one choice and you had to live with their general sports talk content, but there are just so many options out there now.

Yup there is a million different things competing for peoples time now. People can usually get more specific information from other outlets which is generally what they want.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

This, I would rather watch a re-run of Andy Griffith than sit through a sports show that gets into the whole kneeling issue, or discusses which players are going to the White House.

Sports is supposed to be a safe place where you get entertained, and don't have to put up with the BS the news networks churn out.

Also as others mentioned who the hell gets up and watches a sports show with the same format as a Today, or Good Morning America.

They should have just not touched Mike and Mike, which I would guess was a much more profitable show. Though I think Greenberg wanted to move to NY, so he may have driven it

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Though I think Greenberg wanted to move to NY, so he may have driven it
Something happened for sure because it seems like it caused some friction between him and Golic. It sounded like Greenberg was working on this and never mentioned it until ESPN announced it and Golic felt blindsided.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I see the start time for Get Up has been pushed back an hour. ESPN has sunk a lot of money into this failure of a show. I wonder how much longer before they accept defeat.