ESPN morning show "Get Up"

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Michelle is awful. Cannot believe she gets paid 5mil for the garbage she puts on tv. Greeny is annoying as hell with horrible lame takes. Jalen is supposed to be the wildcard (espn's chuck barkely) and he's not really all that wild.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I turned it on this morning. There was about 5 minutes worth of commercials before they came on and they showed the top 10 plays from the day before. I turned it off so I don't know if they do anything original or innovative. I kind of doubt it.
I don't understand why they put it on at the same time as the Golic and Wingo show. Why split one show up just to compete against each other?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I actually didn't mind the show they used to have called Cold Pizza. I didn't tune into it but when it was on I would watch it. It was less serious. Lot's of goofing around. Although I think that is where Skip Bayless debuted. So they kind of screwed us there.

• Winner
Reactions: Goclones1727

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Russillo/Kanell blows as well.

I didn't realize they got rid of both of them now. I'm not sure who that new guy is but when I googled his name it's a bunch of results about how terrible the show is and how he's and idiot.

What happened to Jalen and Jacoby. I like their show.

I also like LeBatard, but realize I'm in the minority there.

Reactions: Javinegli

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They need to get back to their roots and show fun niche sports during the day, championship mini golf or competitive trampoline dodge ball for example.

This times 100. They did an 'ESPN the Ocho' event for like 3 days where they showed nothing but this, and it was amazing. I DVR'd like all 3 days of content to watch. Their is a subreddit (r/theocho I think) that posts things on fun niche sports that's always fun to follow.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I have no idea why ESPN keeps wanting to go political on everyone. There are enough news channels that do that. If that is what we want we would go watch them. We want sports. We want goofy anchors. For some reason they decided that sports are soooo serious. I used to not miss sportcenter. Now I care less. I log onto the internet to get the scores. Only reason I watch ESPN is if a game is on TV.

I assume it's for the same reasons that actors, comedians, athletes, or anyone else with a platform deems it necessary...they overvalue their place in the world. Somewhere along the line they got the idea that they're something more than a distraction from our problems and in doing so, they become just another one of them. The difference is, they are a problem that is easily ignored or done away with all together.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I was sick a few months ago and for some reason wound up watching ESPN straight through from about 2-5. I always knew it was alot of the same content, but my goodness. They don't even make an attempt to be original. There are literally about 4 of the exact same shows with different names they run back to back.

I remember they used to air a show where Ron Jaworski would break down plays that had happened earlier in the week in the NFL. Why the play worked, who did what well, who blew an assignment, etc. It was really interesting stuff. Why they don't have more shows like that I can't figure out.

Reactions: harimad

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Does anyone know how Golic and Wingo are doing with morning ratings? Has the show taken a hit since Greenberg left? I listen to Golic and Wingo while working out. It's not appointment radio, but neither was Mike and Mike.

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Does anyone know how Golic and Wingo are doing with morning ratings? Has the show taken a hit since Greenberg left? I listed to Golic and Wingo while working out. It's not appointment radio, but either was Mike and Mike.

I don't know what the ratings are like but it's God awful. Of course, anything with Golic Jr is bound to be.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I remember they used to air a show where Ron Jaworski would break down plays that had happened earlier in the week in the NFL. Why the play worked, who did what well, who blew an assignment, etc. It was really interesting stuff. Why they don't have more shows like that I can't figure out.

I liked that show too! You may have noticed by some of my other posts, but I really get into the Xs and Os. Although it feels like my attempts to join in on those discussions around here are kind of ignored. :(

But that Jaws show was one of the few ESPN shows that I actually could watch.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I liked that show too! You may have noticed by some of my other posts, but I really get into the Xs and Os. Although it feels like my attempts to join in on those discussions around here are kind of ignored. :(

But that Jaws show was one of the few ESPN shows that I actually could watch.

I think you're talking about NFL Matchup. He and Merrill Hoge used to be the experts. I think it still exists with different guys since Jaws didn't survive the layoffs. Which is a shame, because he is really good at breaking stuff down so fans can understand the why and how of a play or formation.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Lebatard is the only good thing about ESPN. They made me realize how ridiculous all sports talk/tv sports talk are.

I thought I was the only one who liked Lebatard. I like Stugotz to. And of course Papi (Lebatard's Dad).... he's the best.

Several years ago I didn't care for them as much, but now I just love how they mock the stupid things in sports. They at least make me laugh. Watching them announce the National Championship college football game on ESPN3 was awesome IMO. I would watch Lebatard and Stugotz announce nearly every major sporting event if it was an option on ESPN3. They poked fun at everything.

In regards to Greeny's new show..... just AWFUL. I've never liked Greeny that much anyway, but to put Beadle with him.... yikes, that's turrible. And why they put Greeny's new show up against Golic's new show is beyond me. I never liked either one, but why put them up against one another? And Golic Jr..... he's not terrible, but he would have never been hired if not for Daddy.... and now to put him on Daddy's show too.... unbearable. And I like poor Trey Wingo. Feel bad for him.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I have no idea why ESPN keeps wanting to go political on everyone. There are enough news channels that do that. If that is what we want we would go watch them. We want sports. We want goofy anchors. For some reason they decided that sports are soooo serious. I used to not miss sportcenter. Now I care less. I log onto the internet to get the scores. Only reason I watch ESPN is if a game is on TV.

It's not a matter of ESPN wanting to go political. It's a reflection of our entire society. Think about Facebook, Twitter, our freakin' reality star president. Politics is mainstream entertainment these days. What was it like before you-know-who took office? Everything has become polarized and "soooo serious". It wasn't a conscious decision by ESPN.

Also, this isn't aimed at you but this thread in general. ESPN doesn't care about old white men. It hasn't for a long time. Get over it. It's not intended for you.

• Disagree
Reactions: SC Cy

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
It's not a matter of ESPN wanting to go political. It's a reflection of our entire society. Think about Facebook, Twitter, our freakin' reality star president. Politics is mainstream entertainment these days. What was it like before you-know-who took office? Everything has become polarized and "soooo serious". It wasn't a conscious decision by ESPN.

Also, this isn't aimed at you but this thread in general. ESPN doesn't care about old white men. It hasn't for a long time. Get over it. It's not intended for you.

Did you just start watching ESPN in 2017?

• Funny
Reactions: SC Cy and hlb76

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I have no idea why ESPN keeps wanting to go political on everyone.

Wild guess that a President of the United States obsessed with a twitter war against the NFL may have at least a little something to do with it.

Sports journalists talking a little about political angles in sports isn't out of the ordinary (and sometimes it's THEIR JOB to do it). A president fixated on attacking athletes is a crazy and embarrassing anomaly.

• Disagree
Reactions: SC Cy and dosry5

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Also, this isn't aimed at you but this thread in general. ESPN doesn't care about old white men. It hasn't for a long time.
Lol, that would explain their revenue dropping.

They care about old white men. They care about many demographics, starting with the ones that are most likely to pay for content. Maybe that’s purple teenagers, which would be consistent with ESPN’s struggles to maintain its subscribers.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing