• Prohm is doing a good job

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Couldn't agree more w/ the complete lack of accountability. Combine that with poor Xs & Os and it's a real problem that isn't going away.

Note that this doesn't suggest the players don't care or that they don't try. It's that the coach doesn't require what's needed to do the fundamentals, win, etc. Most players will take it easy on some key "winning" aspects if not held accountable. Don't think this staff recruits those leaders who demand it of their teammates, either.

Roster and staff full of betas. Who is an alpha? ???????? (Crickets).......

Reactions: CyBobby

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If you listen to CSP now after games and pregame clips, I believe he knows what is coming and has began to accept the reality of his situation. At this point, I am just going to be patient and wait till the last game. I expect ADJP is giving him the professional courtesy of letting him finish out the season and then will make an announcement shortly after season's completion. My hope is that the process moves quickly so that we can be one of the first to offer a coach and not drag this out.

Yep especially after last nights presser. I really wish things would have played out differently but it doesn't seem to be.

• Agree
Reactions: CaptivaCyGuy

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If we are thinking about the same play I think it is a great study on Coach Prohm and his limitations on the offensive end. My take is slightly different than yours though.

I think the play you are talking we ran JCL off an Iverson cut/screen to the right side (top of the court as viewed). That is a fine action and you see it all over basketball. It's also a good action for JCL and his skill set. The problem is and one of the general problems with Prohm is that once that initial action breaks down we have no ability to flow into something else. Players stand and either go into ISO or you see/hear Steve yelling out a new call from the sideline. The initial action is good, but our actions are one and done. Again you see iverson action all over basketball, teams that run good offense have it flow into something else when it breaks down though. (Also on that particular play that was awful shot selection by Bolton).

Related to initial actions flowing into some sort of continuity I feel like in the early Prohm years we were much better at that. One thing I have often wondered about is the role Charlie Henry used to play on the staff. We used to have better flow on offense in the early years and actually had some innovative sets. Charlie is the only staff turnover I'm aware of and I wonder if that had an impact. (I fully understand that having high IQ basketball guys like Georges and Monte also likely had an impact as well and also guys that were pretty solid off the bounce in those ISO situations like Wiggington, THT, Shayok - but curious if staff impacted it as well)

I thought Charlie Henry left with Fred?

Neill Berry is the only turnover from SP's staff that I know of

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I concur. And maybe he ends up being able to recruit at Iowa State! Who knows. I'd be fine taking a flyer on him. I just hope we make that decision through a process and don't jump to a decision.

The more I think about it, the more I think TJ is less risky than Davries. TJ has high major recruiting experience, low major HC experience, mid-major HC experience, and knows what it takes to win in Ames, IA.

I want a full coaching search and I’d love to pay a more established coach with proven success but Pollard hasn’t ever done that for FB or MBB. And if we ended up with TJ, I’d be okay with it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The more I think about it, the more I think TJ is less risky than Davries. TJ has high major recruiting experience, low major HC experience, mid-major HC experience, and knows what it takes to win in Ames, IA.

I want a full coaching search and I’d love to pay a more established coach with proven success but Pollard hasn’t ever done that for FB or MBB. And if we ended up with TJ, I’d be okay with it.
Yeah I'd be fine if it's TJ too. For whoever it is I'm going to be very excited and I think others will be too. I just hope we don't all find out that JP never considered someone else other than the person he ends up hiring.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I fell asleep during the game, is it true Bolton and JCL were on the bench with under 30 seconds in the game down by three? If true, that alone is a fireable offense.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I fell asleep during the game, is it true Bolton and JCL were on the bench with under 30 seconds in the game down by three? If true, that alone is a fireable offense.

I mean, we could have him fouling out with *checks notes* 5 seconds left.

• Haha
Reactions: twojman

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
We can take solace in the fact that ISU and Fred have one thing in common:
t37nnifoung61.png

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Yes, that was the play right after a timeout. That brings up the next question then. If the initial action breaks down is Bolton coached to then completely abandoned their offense 10 seconds into the shot clock without even taking one dribble or pass and throw up a prayer?

Every game there is an example of comical stuff like this happening, the Mississippi State game Bolton was having alot of trouble getting the ball over the half-court line and the other 4 guys were all just standing in a row down on the baseline and nobody even went out to help him.

How to flow into another action has to be a combination of discussion (having the knowledge of what to flow into) and the drilled (making flowing into another action a habit for lack of a better word). I think both are gaps with this staff.

I think we also have plenty of examples in recent seasons of players that have awful shot selection. That is also coached. We have had a pattern of transfer that have come in where we scratch our head thinking how could he have been a high 30% 3PT shooter at his previous school and barely scratching 30 % here. I think poorly coached shot selection is a big part of that. (also not flowing into additional actions requiring you to force a last shot clock shot is up there as a contributing factor as well).

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
We can take solace in the fact that ISU and Fred have one thing in common:
t37nnifoung61.png

It's no solace, but I do find it amusing being told by way too many it's a sure fire guarantee that just like he did at ISU, he will have Nebraska in the tourney his 2nd year. My thinking is, if they don't really improve next year.....Fred is bouncing onto his next "dream job". Or his "dream" retirement.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
If you listen to CSP now after games and pregame clips, I believe he knows what is coming and has began to accept the reality of his situation. At this point, I am just going to be patient and wait till the last game. I expect ADJP is giving him the professional courtesy of letting him finish out the season and then will make an announcement shortly after season's completion. My hope is that the process moves quickly so that we can be one of the first to offer a coach and not drag this out.

Absolutely. That was exactly my take as well listening to it and again reading it in the write up here on CF. Look, the guy is a stand up oustanding human being that accepts what needs to be done. He is paid to take the fall and he is falling on it. Just glance around, we could have so many more coaches that are complete shade crooks and horrible role models. Prohm knows what is coming and he is taking it with class. So, it is what it is. He is taking the high road and so will I. Prohm was coach of Iowa State during a couple of good and really fun years. I thank him for that. Unfortunately the ride has to come to an end. He knows it and we all know it now.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
I think this is true of nearly every play we run, either the initial player the play was run for shots no matter what or the play totally breaks down, in those situations, it's not uncommon for us to not even get a shot off. It happens so often that it you have to believe its not something they really work on in practice. It would be really interesting to see exactly what they work on in between games....offensive sets? defensive rotations? in bounds plays? rebounding? learning how to set/receive screens? Obviously some sarcasm but from the games, I would believe all they do is shoot and dribble. It's hard to imagine a team with a collective lower bball IQ.
Or, our defense is so suspect in practice (as in games) that the 1st play usually works and they don't have to get into a 2nd set -ding!

• Winner
Reactions: heitclone