• Prohm is doing a good job

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
From quick research it's been over 35 years. Might be wrong.

Yeah, i found that our longest overall losing streak is 13. We're at 8 now for that, but it seems likely we end up setting that record with what we've got coming up.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
From quick research it's been over 35 years. Might be wrong.

From a cursory look:

It looks like there are two worse conference losing streaks:

13 game losing streak: 35-36 (ended with 3 losses) and 36-37 (0-10 in the big 6)
21 game conference losing streak across the 23-24\24-25 seasons.

Kansas will likely put us ahead of the 13 game losing streak.

We could conceivably set the record this year if they reschedule our two postponed games and we lose out and lose in the conference tournament.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I like Devries for short term and longer term thinking. If his son comes and Foster stays along with the PG coming in, there is hope.

Longer term, Devries has had to coach with guys leaving all the time, the dude has done nothing but win. When I've been able to watch, his players seem to have fun, play hard and gave a purpose. Very different compared to what we see in Ames. I believe his style would keep fans interested and get ISU back to the tourney by his second year at the latest. (Hope that's not a stretch)

I AGREE in our predicament aka We haven't won ONE Conference game since Feb 3rd,2020 vs TCU....13 straight conference losses.....
Darian DeVries would be my pick because his players love to play hard for him and the guy can obviously recruit....Darian DeVries would coach circles around csp re X's and O's

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
There is just a lot of risk hiring a new coach this offseason though too. Does Tyrese Hunter still come? (going to be a really good player). Does Foster Walk? Does Walker walk? We could literally be left with Conditt and no other post on the roster.
You could also be looking at guys transferring anyway with Prohm so it’s a risk either way. You can’t make a decision based on losing a recruit or someone transferring.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
It will cost the AD around $1.25 million extra to fire Prohm this year compared to next. We all know this ship isn’t turning around and there is NO WAY Prohm should be given the opportunity to finish 9th or 10th in the league again for the 4th out of 5 years. Fan apathy will cost more than that next year.

It has to happen after this year. But in-season isn’t a good look and doesn’t matter. We’ll be looking for a new coach in March.

I was talking to a friend about this..... obviously JP signed the extension so he has some blame....BUT, at this point, you'd think he'd be able to to a cost analysis of cost to keep vs cutting losses and that $1.25 mill may be a wash at this point. And honestly, it's ok to take that approach. No one is saying the Prohm or the players are bad people, just not meeting expectations....the same justification for win bonuses, etc is the same justification to let go.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
You could also be looking at guys transferring anyway with Prohm so it’s a risk either way. You can’t make a decision based on losing a recruit or someone transferring.
Agree. Because if you get the recruit and next year isn't much better, then you could have said recruit transferring and needing a new coach.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I AGREE in our predicament aka We haven't won ONE Conference game since Feb 3rd,2020 vs TCU....13 straight conference losses.....
Darian DeVries would be my pick because his players love to play hard for him and the guy can obviously recruit....Darian DeVries would coach circles around csp re X's and O's
Can he though? I mean there isn't an argument to be made that his players don't play hard, and he sure knows his way around a white board, but I think we should be weary of believing that he's a great recruiter.

He hasn't actually brought in a lot of recruits and outside of his son, none of them are rated very high. I'm not saying I don't want DeVries though, it's just an observation.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Can he though? I mean there isn't an argument to be made that his players don't play hard, and he sure knows his way around a white board, but I think we should be weary of believing that he's a great recruiter.

He hasn't actually brought in a lot of recruits and outside of his son, none of them are rated very high. I'm not saying I don't want DeVries though, it's just an observation.

id rather have a guy who knows his way around a white board, i think.

prohm doesnt know what a white board is.

he got out coached so bad last night, especially there towards the end. you use a timeout and draw up a play where JCL runs around and tries to get open for a shot? come on

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

I give him credit for being creative in how he’s recruited. Drake has historically never recruited JUCOs or transfers and 4 of drakes top 7 players are those type of recruits.

None of the players on Drakes roster are what you would build a successful big 12 program around but Devries deserves a ton of credit for having to rebuild his roster every year and his ability to find quality MVC players. This isn’t like Keno Davis taking over a roster his dad built that all the stars aligned for one magical season.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

he got out coached so bad last night, especially there towards the end. you use a timeout and draw up a play where JCL runs around and tries to get open for a shot? come on
Oh my above post wasn't a cry that we should keep Prohm. I'd much rather have a guy that knows X's and O's too, I was just making the statement about recruiting.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Oh my above post wasn't a cry that we should keep Prohm. I'd much rather have a guy that knows X's and O's too, I was just making the statement about recruiting.

oh i know!

the players devries now probably wouldn't be super competitive in the big 12.. he'd def has to up his recruiting game but knowing the x's and o's would def help.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

That play where Bolton airballed a three coming out of a Prohm timeout is the only evidence you need that Prohm is clueless.

Go back and watch the play, Bolton and 2 other guys didn't even move, the 2 guys on the baseline criss crossed each other running about half speed, and then Bolton just jacks up a 3. A high school team could defend his offensive sets.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Listen DeVries and Drake a nice feel good story but the Valley is BAD. Drake is an easy team to cheer for but people are putting WAY too much stock into their record this year. They don't have a single quality win. I do think DeVries is a great X's and O's coach but we don't know if he can recruit at a Big 12 level. That's the risk you run though when you bring up a mid major guy.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think what gets me the most is Steve's refusal to do anything about the issues we have. We haven't been able to rebound for the last 4 years. It was clearly a glaring issue. So what does he do? He goes and recruits 3 combo guards, a 4 who doesn't have much of a reputation for rebounding, and two transfer combo guards. We are a team comprised completely of shooting guards and bigs who can't rebound, and we act surprised we get killed on the glass. Harris, Dubar, Blackwell, JCL, Johnson and Tre Jackson are essentially slight variations of the same player. I think we are good on average-shooting combo guards, let's maybe spend some resources on fixing the issues that have plagued us the last 4 years.

The other issue with me is this year, more than years past, we actually have some depth. Now, maybe not great depth. But after Bolton, they get pretty interchangeable in my mind. I'm not sure any combination of Bolton with JCL, Jackson, Walker, Dubar, Harris, Johnson, Conditt and Solo makes a big difference. So if you have guys that aren't rebounding and giving effort, move on down the line. Play 12 guys if you have to until you get some effort on the glass and after lose balls. You watch the good coaches in this league, if they aren't getting the effort they want they'll go down to the damn walk-ons. It's about accountability.

I mean, Dubar goes from a starter to not even seeing the floor? You don't throw him out there and see if he can't pull in a few rebounds? Is he hurt?

And I actually kind of commend him on being able to keep his cool out there. I think the CIA should study how his brain works or something for training hostages to keep their cool during an interrogation. Knowing how bad we've been, knowing his job is on the line and watching them give up rebound after rebound and not going completely apoplectic is actually somewhat remarkable. I'd lose my mind.

I'm not saying I want Fran out there. And as much as I like Chris Beard his tantrum last night was an embarrassment. But my goodness, at least pretend like you hold them accountable beyond a disappointed dad look as they leave the floor.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
And JP was ready to give GMac an extension after that win.

With JP’s ego, I could absolutely see Prohm being retained by winning 2 or 3 of the remaining games.
"Nofa Kingway, you have a call on line 1, Nofa Kingway."

• Haha
Reactions: Macloney

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny

Agree with this sentiment. As I watch Drake, who is the one player that would excel at the big 12 level? They are a nice team, play hard and together and I would take that in a heartbeat, but the power 6 level...you need some studs that you can hand the ball to, those that are a cut above. We’ve had those players in Ames, not seeing it in DSM....at least not yet.

• Dumb
Reactions: WhoISthis

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
That play where Bolton airballed a three coming out of a Prohm timeout is the only evidence you need that Prohm is clueless.

Go back and watch the play, Bolton and 2 other guys didn't even move, the 2 guys on the baseline criss crossed each other running about half speed, and then Bolton just jacks up a 3. A high school team could defend his offensive sets.

Situational basketball. I don't think CSP knows that it is a thing, because they clearly do not put any practice time into it.

Think back on how many end-of-half or end-of-game situations that his teams have just looked like they had never been in a gym before. Here are our 3 best "gotta have a bucket to win the game sets":

1. Be completely unaware of the time remaining, dribble up the floor as fast as possible, and chuck up a desperation heave as if 1 second left, when there are actually 9 seconds left. You want to get up court and shoot as quick as possible so none of our other 4 guys are anywhere near the basket, lest an offensive rebound hit them in the face.

2. NWB just dribbling way out between the circles to wind the clock down, never even looking to pass, no one moving anywhere at all, and eventually just jack up a really bad 3.

3. Actually try to get someone open with motion or a screen, but since it hasn't been practiced the timing and execution is poor, so the the target guy is not really open, and there is no alternate guy. So force the pass, which will be tipped or mishandled, resulting in a turnover and no shot at all.

Am I missing any? It's been the same all 5 years, except in year 1 #3 worked because Georges and Monte, and in year 2 #2 worked because Monte.

I feel bad for the players. They should not have to suffer through all this crap.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Situational basketball. I don't think CSP knows that it is a thing, because they clearly do not put any practice time into it.

Think back on how many end-of-half or end-of-game situations that his teams have just looked like they had never been in a gym before. Here are our 3 best "gotta have a bucket to win the game sets":

1. Be completely unaware of the time remaining, dribble up the floor as fast as possible, and chuck up a desperation heave as if 1 second left, when there are actually 9 seconds left. You want to get up court and shoot as quick as possible so none of our other 4 guys are anywhere near the basket, lest an offensive rebound hit them in the face.

2. NWB just dribbling way out between the circles to wind the clock down, never even looking to pass, no one moving anywhere at all, and eventually just jack up a really bad 3.

3. Actually try to get someone open with motion or a screen, but since it hasn't been practiced the timing and execution is poor, so the the target guy is not really open, and there is no alternate guy. So force the pass, which will be tipped or mishandled, resulting in a turnover and no shot at all.

Am I missing any? It's been the same all 5 years, except in year 1 #3 worked because Georges and Monte, and in year 2 #2 worked because Monte.

I feel bad for the players. They should not have to suffer through all this crap.

4. The off-balance, dipsy-doo style 3s we went for in the last 20 seconds last night in place of working for a good shot.

5. The out of control drive into the lane by a guy who loses his balance, runs into someone, or dribbles off his knee.