*** Ejim Appreciation Thread ***

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
I hated Melvin his Freshman year. He couldn't catch anything. I feel like half of Diante's turnovers were because of Ejim. His sophomore year, I didn't really like him, but he played great D, and tried hard. Royce could probably blame Ejim for a lot of his turnovers too. Junior year I started to like him. It became obvious how important he was in the lineup. This game was amazing. I'm still not all sold on him though. I know he is greatly important to this team, but I'm not seeing this legend in front of me like a lot of you seem to.

Reactions: Doc

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Absolutely! I said this last year with a thread. The majority of the fanatics thought I was ridiculous for saying that Ejim should have his jersey hung in the rafters of Hilton. Oh well...

Melvin should have his name and number on a banner from the rafters in the future. I don't see any argument to that. Stevens, Grayer, Hornacek, Hoiberg, Ejim. He is absolutely at that level.

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
I hated Melvin his Freshman year. He couldn't catch anything. I feel like half of Diante's turnovers were because of Ejim. His sophomore year, I didn't really like him, but he played great D, and tried hard. Royce could probably blame Ejim for a lot of his turnovers too. Junior year I started to like him. It became obvious how important he was in the lineup. This game was amazing. I'm still not all sold on him though. I know he is greatly important to this team, but I'm not seeing this legend in front of me like a lot of you seem to.

Ejim is already 7th in career rebounding, and will pass Jared Homan for 6th during the next game. He will then be about 40 behind Victor Alexander. If he stays healthy, he will be 4th or maybe 3rd in career rebounding.

I don't know about retiring his number, but he clearly is one of the best 10-15 Cyclones of all time.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Ejim is already 7th in career rebounding, and will pass Jared Homan for 6th during the next game. He will then be about 40 behind Victor Alexander. If he stays healthy, he will be 4th or maybe 3rd in career rebounding.

I don't know about retiring his number, but he clearly is one of the best 10-15 Cyclones of all time.

He will also likely be the first four-year Cyclone to be first team all-conference since his coach.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
He's got a senior swagger to him that I haven't seen before. He will do some GREAT things this year. Very excited to enjoy his last season here.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

michael-scott3.gif

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

raised-eyebrows-o.gif

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
I want a lot of things from this season, but I think #1 is that Ejim has a season that gets him a shot in the NBA.

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
There was two or three times last night where Ejim just out-hustled three Michigan players to get a rebound. The guy is an animal and just out-works everyone. One of my favorite cyclones of all time, can't wait to watch the rest of his senior season.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

He's gotten better every year. He's been asked to play a different role every year and never complained about what he's been asked to do. And he's been the one constant presence since Hoiberg got here, and that more than anything will insure he's got a special place in the hearts of many Cyclone fans.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

if you could not spot it last year...you never will. Ejim is a relentless beast...

Last edited:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Not to mention a couple of different guys on the Michigan board made fun of another poster for not knowing who he was, and also referred to him as one of the best players in the country. Pretty high praise from a fan base that wouldn't have any reason to fanboy over him.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
This thread deserves more time on the front page, especially if it drops a few others off of it! Glad to see comments coming out that he is no worse for the wear after Sunday's game. Hopefully that isn't just gamesmanship.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I was at the Iowa game in his freshmen year when Scotty hit all those 3s. Melvin quickly became my favorite player on the team since then. A 4 year starter is a rarity among power conference teams these days, and I',m glad we still have him now.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I like keeping retired jerseys VERY exclusive. That said, depending on how this year goes Ejim deserves to be in that conversation at the least.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I absolutely agree with you! Retired jerseys should be exclusive. But the accolades that Melvin will achieve this year on the court most certainly will put him in that elite category of Cyclone greats. Not to mention his academic achievements. I m telling ya,
It would be an absolute disgrace if he were to get snubbed the opportunity to have his jersey retired..

I was at the Iowa game in his freshmen year when Scotty hit all those 3s. Melvin quickly became my favorite player on the team since then. A 4 year starter is a rarity among power conference teams these days, and I',m glad we still have him now.

I like keeping retired jerseys VERY exclusive. That said, depending on how this year goes Ejim deserves to be in that conversation at the least.

Help Support Us

Become a patron