*** Ejim Appreciation Thread ***

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
He's been my favorite player for quite some time and it's not just because he's a great player. He's a great student, a great leader and by all accounts just a great person in general. What a great ambassador for ISU! He has a lot of the traits his coach had when he played for ISU......

fwiw

May 20, 2009
Absolute stud and incredibly underrated nationally. He's always been a team guy, and it's obvious how hard he's worked to become one of the elite players in the league.

And if anyone thinks he's content to let this be a rebuilding year, think again. Based on his post game comments, I don't think you can overstate just how much drive he has to go out with a bang.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Had his fist touch after beig injured been a put back dunk and/or if he would have got that reverse oop, this thread would need more stars.

I've said it many times, Melvin is one of the all time best.

How about that play drawn up by Freddie to close the 1st half. He goes for the oop dunk to Ejim. He knew it was there for the taking and that it would bring the house down going into the half as well. Would have pulled it off if not for the foul.

Rhoads could learn something from that. Go for the jugular.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I said this last year to a mixed response, but I feel even more strongly about it now... I think we hang a "3: Ejim" banner next to that "32: Hoiberg" in the Hilton rafters eventually.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Melvin should have his name and number on a banner from the rafters in the future. I don't see any argument to that. Stevens, Grayer, Hornacek, Hoiberg, Ejim. He is absolutely at that level.

Regardless of where he goes from here, he will be successful. And, he will be an excellent ambassador for ISU.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Jon Rothstein said:
Melvin Ejim used to be a piece to the puzzle. He's WAY past that now. One of the best players in the Big 12. Was terrific today.

Seth Davis said:
Melvin Ejim is totally playing himself off my All-Glue team. What could he possibly be thinking?

Last edited:

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
How about that play drawn up by Freddie to close the 1st half. He goes for the oop dunk to Ejim. He knew it was there for the taking and that it would bring the house down going into the half as well. Would have pulled it off if not for the foul.

Rhoads could learn something from that. Go for the jugular.

Just dumb

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I stepped away for a bit to eat. Seriously how does this thread not already exist.

Melvin last year was great but based on this game he's really stepped it up. Amazing game and probably not 100%.

In ISU history this was the equivalent of Willis Reed playing in MSG.

someone should put up his career stat line at the end of the season. I bet it would be very comparable to the stat lines of the jerseys hanging in the rafters. Ejim is an ISU legend, he has just done it quietly somehow.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I said this last year to a mixed response, but I feel even more strongly about it now... I think we hang a "3: Ejim" banner next to that "32: Hoiberg" in the Hilton rafters eventually.
I'm on your team!

His on and off court performance is stellar.

If today is a sign of his tenacity he's going to bring this year, the stats will take care of themselves...just hope he locks in that first team all big 12 and academic all America as well.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Exactly. Could you imagine Dickie V. praising his "hands" based on how troubled he was holding on to the ball as a frosh? Love his drive and enthusiasm. And skills.

Melvin is definitely not the same guy that was back then. He was good, but it would drive me nuts when he would fumble away 3-4 balls under the basket in a game. Now he snatches it out of the sky and puts it in the basket with one smooth motion.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Melvin should absolutely be the last player in ISU history to wear #3. Looking back, I will always remember Ejim as the guy who helped bring ISU basketball back out of the dark ages while systematically demonstrating determination, leadership, and class. I will be truly sad to see him graduate from ISU but I think we can all agree that Melvin is one of those who will find great success in life, be it in basketball or something else entirely.