Doc Sadler possible candidate for Southern Miss job

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013

At this time in 2012, he had just been fired after six horrible seasons at Nebraska...he wasn't exactly a hot commodity.

Two years later, he has a year of management experience at an elite team with Kansas and another year of assistant coaching experience at a very solid Iowa State. You have to give Sadler credit for the defensive improvements made in the last year.

I don't know if he'd be a great head coach or not, but to say he hasn't proven himself to at least get a second look is ridiculous.

Last edited:

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
At this time in 2012, he had just been fired after six horrible seasons at Nebraska...he wasn't exactly a hot commodity.

Two years later, he has a year of management experience at an elite team with Kansas and another year of assistant coaching experience at a very solid Iowa State. You have to give Sadler credit for the devensive improvements made in the last year.

I don't know if he'd be a great head coach or not, but to say he hasn't proven himself to at least get a second look is ridiculous.

There isn't anything known about Sadler today that wasn't also known in 2012, though.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Since he's been fired by Nebraska he has been working with 2 of the best coaches in college ball in Bill Self and Fred Hoiberg. He's more than likely picked something up from the 2 along the way, and I'm willing to bet that Southern Miss would know about things such as that.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Since he's been fired by Nebraska he has been working with 2 of the best coaches in college ball in Bill Self and Fred Hoiberg. He's more than likely picked something up from the 2 along the way, and I'm willing to bet that Southern Miss would know about things such as that.
I like Doc and hope he stays, but I do not see the fact he could not get an actual coaching spot at KU and him spending a year with Fred at ISU changing anything appreciably.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I hope he stays. His family still lives in Lincoln, which isn't extremely far away compared to Southern Mississippi. He doesn't have to return too much and he doesn't have to worry about offense. He can focus on being the assistant head coach and running the defense here. It's a pretty good gig.

CycloneCarter

Jan 10, 2014
Zion
Looking at Nebraska historically, I'm not sure it's fair to call Doc's time there bad.
You're right, for that program his time there wasn't terrible. A couple NIT's probably surpassed everyones expectations. Not a knock on Doc, more so Nebraska. #HucktheFuskers

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Coach Floyd is not leaving. I can emphatically say I am 100% certain.

Should Tim Floyd be offered & take the job at Missouri, is it possible that one of Doc's select HC jobs might be back at UTEP?

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Coach Floyd is not leaving. I can emphatically say I am 100% certain.

1187122.gif

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
doc certainly had the mayor's ear. i watched that interplay a lot during the year. i hope he gets another head coaching gig. good guy.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I love Doc, I think he's a major reason why we elevated into a top 15 program this season. However, when you lose assistant coaches to head coaching gigs thats a really, really good thing. Is a bummer for us fans and probably the players but its a sign that you have a good program.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Looking at Nebraska historically, I'm not sure it's fair to call Doc's time there bad.

Yes, let's remember that this program is in very elite company. Last I checked kNU and Northwestern were the only two major conference BB programs who had never won a NCAA tournament game.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
At this time in 2012, he had just been fired after six horrible seasons at Nebraska...he wasn't exactly a hot commodity.Two years later, he has a year of management experience at an elite team with Kansas and another year of assistant coaching experience at a very solid Iowa State. You have to give Sadler credit for the defensive improvements made in the last year.I don't know if he'd be a great head coach or not, but to say he hasn't proven himself to at least get a second look is ridiculous.
His job at Kansas was to make sure that when KU went on the road that their stuff was in order, AKA that Bill Self's room had Diet Coke, not diet Pepsi and that they had the food set up for team breakfasts. Not exactly "management experience".

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
His job at Kansas was to make sure that when KU went on the road that their stuff was in order, AKA that Bill Self's room had Diet Coke, not diet Pepsi and that they had the food set up for team breakfasts. Not exactly "management experience".

Sounds like he was the official soda manager to me :jimlad:

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Sounds like he was the official soda manager to me :jimlad:

Jesus ******, we call it "pop" around here. You sound like my wife (who is from Massachusetts) with this soda nonsense. Are you even an Iowan?