• No

Votes: 71 26.9%

• Total voters

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Offense looked pretty good today, I say we let him stick around another year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Manning has had some head scratching play calling in some games but his calls in the last 3 games have been excellent.

I think he's found his stride a little bit. He kept nailing UT in seams like we should have been doing for years. That's an example I've seen of growth. We are also getting a lot more really easy stuff opened up and once you start getting that, everything gets easier because the defense reacts. That play he drew up for Akers was a chefs kiss. Unless there is a pass-off built in to the defense there, since they were in man, that was going to be impossible to defend. Since it wasn't on tape, I'm sure they had no clue.

In short, I'm really pleased with his growth.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The three TE offense we run is very unique and I don’t think gets enough credit. It’s the reason the run game is so damn effective. They finally figured out the blitz and now have the passing game going. Great adjustments all year and fixing real problems that were plaguing the offense.

The reason it works is because we have 3 really good all around TEs. What happens is they force you to either match numbers and gaps in the run game (each TE adds a gap) and take your chances trying to cover those guys with LBs and Ss or you have to back off and let them line you up and block you at the second level. It's a nightmare when all those guys do everything well. It's kind of the same thing Harbaugh was doing years ago where you just keep adding gaps which constantly increases the odds someone will screw up their fit and when that happens, they usually coming from depth so if a safety, for instance has to make that gap and he gets it wrong, he unlocks the third level. That's why we are seeing these long runs break. The defense is getting spread horizontally in the run game.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Seems like a different person calling games since after Okie St. We've been much more aggressive and have used guys like Lang in niche roles. Tom struggled the first half of the season but playcalling has been much better at playing to our strengths the last half.

Biggest change wasn't really schematic, giving Brock the freedom to take off totally changes this offense. I swear he's had more unscripted runs the last 3 games than he had the first 7. It brings an extra element to this offense and gets Brock back playing loose like he did when he was a frosh. Picking up a 1st down running seems to get him going, the entire team feeds off of his energy.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Seems like a different person calling games since after Okie St. We've been much more aggressive and have used guys like Lang in niche roles. Tom struggled the first half of the season but playcalling has been much better at playing to our strengths the last half.

Biggest change wasn't really schematic, giving Brock the freedom to take off totally changes this offense. I swear he's had more unscripted runs the last 3 games than he had the first 7. It brings an extra element to this offense and gets Brock back playing loose like he did when he was a frosh. Picking up a 1st down running seems to get him going, the entire team feeds off of his energy.
A deep threat, while not a huge one, Shaw and Milton have taken some pressure off the TEs and running game and that has made thing easier to call.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
A deep threat, while not a huge one, Shaw and Milton have taken some pressure off the TEs and running game and that has made thing easier to call.

Milton being out was a really big deal. Scates and Shaw just weren't ready, especially without Tarique there to take the focus off of them. Nice to see Shaw make a couple big plays the last few weeks, he just needs to start putting together complete games. I like the WR group going forward. XH, Milton and Shaw are a good group that all have different strengths. Shaw's ceiling is really high but he just hasn't come along physically like expected when he was scouted, he's just not physical enough to use his height like we saw Lazard and Butler do. Luckily, we have Kolar as that red zone target this year.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I hope Manning goes back to the NFL and Scheelhaase gets promoted.

Manning is good, Scheelhaase has the potential to be great.

I want Scheelhaase on the road recruiting.