Do you want Tom Manning as the OC?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Do you want Tom Manning as OC?

• Yes

Votes: 193 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 71 26.9%

• Total voters

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
This Manning guy can keep his job I guess. :)

But seriously, when you don't turn the ball over and commit stupid penalty after stupid penalty, and allow kick off and punt returns for touchdowns..... things can look pretty good.

I'd have to go back and watch the tape, but did KSU blitz us much? I didn't remember that they did, but I could be wrong. My biggest beef with Manning has always been his inability to do anything against the blitz. I think he better be preparing this whole week for Texas to bring the heat all game on Friday with multiple blitzers.

But yes, a great game by Manning last night indeed!

Reactions: putsky

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

"I'd have to go back and watch the tape, but did KSU blitz us much? I didn't remember that they did, but I could be wrong. My biggest beef with Manning has always been his inability to do anything against the blitz. I think he better be preparing this whole week for Texas to bring the heat all game on Friday with multiple blitzers."

Thanks for highlighting that line..... it very well could be the difference on Friday IMO.

Off the top of my head, I don't think KSU blitzed much last night, but if they did, then ISU did a great job of picking it up because Purdy had a lot more time last night.

Generally Manning has never had an answer for teams that have brought the house on almost every play. And I fully expect Herman will bring tons of pressure on Friday, so hopefully Manning has an answer. If he does, we will win the game.

trevn

Jerome Tang Surveillance Team
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
This Manning guy can keep his job I guess. :)

But seriously, when you don't turn the ball over and commit stupid penalty after stupid penalty, and allow kick off and punt returns for touchdowns..... things can look pretty good.

I'd have to go back and watch the tape, but did KSU blitz us much? I didn't remember that they did, but I could be wrong. My biggest beef with Manning has always been his inability to do anything against the blitz. I think he better be preparing this whole week for Texas to bring the heat all game on Friday with multiple blitzers.

But yes, a great game by Manning last night indeed!

They did blitz a fair amount and we picked it up well or Brock took off and got good yards with his feet. Off the top of my head the touchdown to Scates they blitzed and before the 2nd touchdown Brock had a huge run up the middle after we picked up a blitz. I'm sure there are a lot more but I'd have to watch the game again.

It should be noted they were down starting linebackers so that could have impacted their ability to get home with the blitz. Still, this was as good of a job as we have done handling it this season.

Reactions: Peter

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
They did blitz a fair amount and we picked it up well or Brock took off and got good yards with his feet. Off the top of my head the touchdown to Scates they blitzed and before the 2nd touchdown Brock had a huge run up the middle after we picked up a blitz. I'm sure there are a lot more but I'd have to watch the game again.

It should be noted they were down starting linebackers so that could have impacted their ability to get home with the blitz. Still, this was as good of a job as we have done handling it this season.

Thanks for that info. That is good to know that they did blitz us a fair amount and we were able to pick it up.

Against Okie State, we had no answer whatsoever for their constant blitzes. Couldn't pick it up, and had no clue how to run a play to beat it either.

So yesterday was obviously great improvement. I expect to see Texas bring the kitchen sink on us Friday..... and I'd love nothing more than to make Herman pay for it.

When Purdy has time, he's deadly. When he's pressured, it gets REALLY ugly pretty fast.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The K-State boards are heating up that they need to get rid of Mess. Saying that he doesn't make any in-game adjustments. Glad they have him.
Not a fan of his, but honestly what could he have adjusted? His first QB looked like Charlie sheen in major league before his glasses and the second guy was getting lit up because he couldn’t move. He didn’t have anything to use.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Thanks for that info. That is good to know that they did blitz us a fair amount and we were able to pick it up.

Against Okie State, we had no answer whatsoever for their constant blitzes. Couldn't pick it up, and had no clue how to run a play to beat it either.

So yesterday was obviously great improvement. I expect to see Texas bring the kitchen sink on us Friday..... and I'd love nothing more than to make Herman pay for it.

When Purdy has time, he's deadly. When he's pressured, it gets REALLY ugly pretty fast.
I liked the frequent dump off passes to the flat (is that still a word that is used now?). Always open. Safe.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I wondered if this thread would show up after that game. lol Seems everyone is a Manning fan this week. No doubt that if we lose the Texas game, people will call for his head again. My point is this, its incredibly hard to be excellent every game. Manning's body of work is very solid. Quit judging him game to game.

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
I wondered if this thread would show up after that game. lol Seems everyone is a Manning fan this week. No doubt that if we lose the Texas game, people will call for his head again. My point is this, its incredibly hard to be excellent every game. Manning's body of work is very solid. Quit judging him game to game.
he is doing better up in the booth, Campbell can tell him what to call

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Manning is the architect behind the #1 rated offense in the Big 12. Mr. Cyguy5, I could be wrong, but I'm going to guess that starting this thread was not your proudest moment, at least I hope so.

• Winner
Reactions: flycy

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Manning is the architect behind the #1 rated offense in the Big 12. Mr. Cyguy5, I could be wrong, but I'm going to guess that starting this thread was not your proudest moment, at least I hope so.

Can confirm it is not my proudest moment, but I still think some of the criticisms highlighted in this thread are at least warranted. With that being said, I’ve been pretty critical of Manning the last few years but he’s called two really good games in a row and overall he’s had a solid year. I’ll give him credit where credit is due.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Not a fan of his, but honestly what could he have adjusted? His first QB looked like Charlie sheen in major league before his glasses and the second guy was getting lit up because he couldn’t move. He didn’t have anything to use.

Where we were 7 years ago:
"I tell our guys every week you watch 'SportsCenter' like the rest of us do," offensive coordinator Courtney Messingham said. "On 'SportsCenter' those plays are being made. They are being thrown where people can catch them."

• Haha
Reactions: khardbored

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I really fear they will have us figured out and we won't counter with anything. We have seen it to much, where a team has a figured out and we can't make any adjustments to make them pay for what they are doing.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude