Dining-Marshalltown

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Not finding what I'm looking for, obviously they don't say Mtown has better food than the others I think they've just had the most sales 17 straight years. I still think it's better. :v_SPIN:

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Where does this come from?!?!?! Seriously. A good buddy of mine lived in Marshalltown for about a year, loves Taco John's, and has said that while it's good, it's no better than any other one.

Every Marshalltown native claims it is the best in the chain. Did they win some award or something?

1. They use a local supplier for beef, not the **** the rest of the chains use.
2. They have french fries
3. They are owned and managed by people who care about customer service and hire quality help.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
1. They use a local supplier for beef, not the **** the rest of the chains use.
2. They have french fries
3. They are owned and managed by people who care about customer service and hire quality help.

So they're maybe the best in the state. I guess it seems a little presumptive to assume that there isn't a Taco John's somewhere else that does the same.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
So they're maybe the best in the state. I guess it seems a little presumptive to assume that there isn't a Taco John's somewhere else that does the same.

Very likely, but they win national awards every year.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Joe's Italian Grill and Pizza is owned and operated by Shaban Dika's family. They moved up here from San Antonio since their college-aged kids attend ISU. It's really good, big portions, good price. It's a very popular place for lunch among our office.

Sub City is great if you want a big ol' sammich.

Applebee's is Applebee's. The Legends here is sloooow, and it's just like every other Legends.

Rube's is great, but it's a grill-your-own-steak place so it can take a while to get in and get out depending on your schedule. It's also probably the priciest if you get an appetizer, entree and beer.

Mexico Antiguo in downtown is good, and La Carreta = La Fuente though I know you said no mexican.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Joe's Italian on Lincoln Way or Mama Digrado's in the mall would be my suggestions if you don't want mexican.

Offensive guard Shaban Dika's family runs this place. He is there working quite often.

Legends in Marshalltown is TERRIBLE. Worst service at any resturaunt.

Sub City = great subs.

Zenos is the best pizza ever.

And yes.... The Taco Johns in Marshalltown is better than any other Ive ever had.

Last edited:

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
You can pass the ghostly exterior of what was once one of the nicest places to eat in all of Iowa.
100_1366.jpg

100_1363.jpg

100_1367.jpg

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Thanks all who responded. I knew you guys/gals would point me in the right direction. It looks like it'll probably be Zeno's or Joe's Italian, but I'll check back later to see if there're any more responses.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Zeno's = greasy and expensive.

Never could figure out the love for this place.

I second this and when I went there in the past thought the crust had the consistancy of cardboard. Granted I haven't been to Zeno's in 6 years so things could have changed. Born and raised there for a LONG 18 years. Here is my list

Rubes: grill your own meat steakhouse. A little pricey.
Sub City: priced right and better than any sub sandwich chain imo. However, it is still a sub.
La Fuente or Mexico Antiguo: amazing Mexican food and a lot of bang for your buck price wise

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Zeno's = greasy and expensive.

Never could figure out the love for this place.

I agree. Everyone around here always wants to get Zeno's when we order pizza and I can't stand it. Caseys' pizza is better and a ton cheaper.

M'town Taco Johns is better than any I've ever had. Possibly just because they have fries, really good fries.

Maid rites - not a big fan (too greasy for me) but they also have good shakes/malts

If you have the time to head north a little go to That Place in Conrad. Awesome food (prime rib especially) and awesome price.

Calvin Rockets (corner of Center and Westwood) has good wings. Had a prime rib sandwich there one day that was awesome too. Not sure if that was just a one-day special though.

Sub City for cold meat sandwiches. They are sooo much better(and bigger) than Subway.

Joe's is good. Don't care for their pizza but the pasta is really good.

Rubes is overrated IMO

Legends' food and service suck.

Won't mention any Mexican since you said you're not interested.

Reactions: ajk4st8

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Except Zeno's is called Mike's now...

Same owner, pizza, and location (near the Intersection of Hwys 30 and 63) but just changed the name. The original Zeno's is in Marshalltown and they franchised the name to the one in Toledo and just recently decided they didn't want to franchise the name anymore.

El Campasino Mexican Restaurant is also good, authentic mexican food in Toledo.
How can Mikes Pizza be as good as the Italian sounding Zenos? That does not compute.

HawkSpeng17

May 26, 2010
Marshalltown
I disagree, it was mediocre at best when I stopped in there last month. Better than both CR locations, but not as good as Ames I'd say.

No way is Ames' Taco John's better. They don't have fries and their tacos are always cold. Not a fan. Oh and that junior QB from Marshalltown that people have been talking about this year to look at, his parents own the Taco John's in Marshalltown.

Edit: Forgot to talk about The Cafe in LeGrand, I think it's really good and you get quite a bit of food for cheap. Might be a little bias though since I went to East Marshall and ate there alot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron