Dining-Marshalltown

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Coming back from Ames Sat evening and would like to stop around Marshalltown or possibly Tama/Toledo for dinner on the way home. Something not too bar-ish. Ethnic restaurants are fine but probably not Mexican. Not looking for a "fine" dining experience, just a decent meal in a decent place. There'll be 3 of us so it doesn't have to be big or anything.

I know I can count on Cyclone Nation to give me a couple good choices.

TIA

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Meskwaki Buffet is good. Then there is always Taylor's Maid Rite, Tremont Grille (italian), Ocean City Chinese Restaurant and Zenos Pizza. Of those, the Marshalltown 'originals' are Zenos Pizza and Taylor's Maid Rite.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Joe's Italian on Lincoln Way or Mama Digrado's in the mall would be my suggestions if you don't want mexican.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Zeno's... End of thread

Except Zeno's is called Mike's now...

Same owner, pizza, and location (near the Intersection of Hwys 30 and 63) but just changed the name. The original Zeno's is in Marshalltown and they franchised the name to the one in Toledo and just recently decided they didn't want to franchise the name anymore.

El Campasino Mexican Restaurant is also good, authentic mexican food in Toledo.

clone319

Nov 27, 2010
Rube's steakhouse in montour is good, it's about halfway between marshalltown and tama/toledo

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Best in the chain!

Where does this come from?!?!?! Seriously. A good buddy of mine lived in Marshalltown for about a year, loves Taco John's, and has said that while it's good, it's no better than any other one.

Every Marshalltown native claims it is the best in the chain. Did they win some award or something?

clone319

Nov 27, 2010
Where does this come from?!?!?! Seriously. A good buddy of mine lived in Marshalltown for about a year, loves Taco John's, and has said that while it's good, it's no better than any other one.

Every Marshalltown native claims it is the best in the chain. Did they win some award or something?

Literally the first thing someone told me when I moved to marshalltown was I had to eat at Taco Johns. While it does have a bigger menu, I was unable to tell the food apart from any other taco johns I've ever been too.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've just never noticed much difference in food quality among any chain of a certain size. Which makes sense because chains are generally based on the idea of producing a consistent product anywhere.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Another good place would be the Country House just before you get to Colo on Hwy 30.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I'm trying to find it online, but it depends on what you order I'm going on just a regular beef taco. I've eaten in CR, Ames, Ankeny, Waverly, CF, still good but no Mtown.