Did we improve much?

cyclonemaniac7

Apr 11, 2006
I was thinking and asking myself, did we improve this season as a team, and if so, how much? I figured out our margin of loss and here is how it broke down:

All losses

Average=13.2

Home losses

Average=8.17

Nonconference losses

Average=10.8

Conference losses

Average=14.6

Granted, our conference schedule was much tougher than our nonconference. I saw glimmers of hope throughout the season, and it seems like we improved as a team, but statistically, our offensive didn't get much better. We had several games in the conference season where we shot under 40%. Thoughts?

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Not a fair comparison from last year to this year since the players are different and the coach is different.

Last edited:

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
That and you wouldn't expect our offense to have improved with the loss of so many offensive weapons from last year.

Our offense probably went backwards and it was an achievement do do what we did.

What did improve tremendously is our defense and I'm not sure how to effectively measure that? I suppose look at how many total points other teams scored on us.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Yes, 3 ways. Free throw shooting (except for the KU game), rebounding, and defense. You have to look at the fact that we were close to knocking off OSU on the road and KU in Hilton, those are 2 teams that should make it DEEP into the NCAA tourney.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Anyone remember how we looked in Carver?

Think we would look the same if we played there again right now?

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
We showed that we can win games with a team full of new faces. We showed that the staff can see talent that has been largely overlooked (Wesley Johnson). We showed that the "system" can make players out of anyone who's willing to buy in (Jiri Hubalek). We showed that Juco players can soften the blow of a rebuilding year (Taylor and McIntosh). And we also showed that when all of those things come together we can play with the big dogs (Ohio State, Kansas game 1).

Last year we showed that talent (Stinson, Blalock, prep school performance of Taggart) can't succeed without structure. To be at the same level with significantly less talent is an improvment.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
We improved a ton over the year!

We are better now than at any point of last season.

psyclonebill

Nov 25, 2006
I wished we could go back and play the in-state teams now... i would really like our chances against all 3 of those teams now vs how we played early.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
What improved is we have a coach that coaches and teaches. He has laid the foundation for a smart, disciplined team that can overcome a lot if they execute his system. Not to bash Morgan (well maybe a little) but when things went bad (and they went bad a lot last year) he just seemed to sit there and not make adjustments.

Effort is contagious and so is attitude, and our team is going in the right direction in both of those categories.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
What improved is we have a coach that coaches and teaches. He has laid the foundation for a smart, disciplined team that can overcome a lot if they execute his system. Not to bash Morgan (well maybe a little) but when things went bad (and they went bad a lot last year) he just seemed to sit there and not make adjustments.

Effort is contagious and so is attitude, and our team is going in the right direction in both of those categories.

Excellent post. I think effort is the key word and we got it now along with a little smarter game plan.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
If you watched the first half of the schedule (ok the first 80%) we never could get a consistant effort. While its a given that basketball is a game of ebs and flows, the last 2 ball games have been MUCH more consistant on both ends of the floor.

We've stayed in certain games because the other team shot very poorly (see Oklahoma), but Tech was playing great and we were right there (so close it still stings me a little). I see vast improvement in the last 2 games, though I don't have the stats to back it up.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
This was a throw away year, obviously the coaches and players didn't approach it that way, but in essence it was. Anything that was accomplished was a bonus. We are in year one of a three year process, I don't care what Deace said, it takes three years to build something solid.

Greg said it himself, if we were looking for a quick fix then we hired the wrong guy. I think it will take at least one more year, but once Greg gets it going, I think that we will see Iowa State in the NCAA every year.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Agree, Darts. I think the number one improvement we saw with this club is that Juri will be coached to play with his back to the basket down low. And do it successfully. We haven't seen that for awhile and big time post recruits will notice.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We improved one player at a time, but it was not fast enough. I like how Corey MxIntosh plays with the ball now. He is now much better.

Our biggest problem remains shooting percentage and having three scorers in each game.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Not a fair comparison from last year to this year since the people players are different and the coach is different.

And that is why I can watch every minute of this years team sometime last year it was unbearable.. GMacs style of basketball is fun to watch, versus last years style of play.

spanny

Jun 17, 2006
Grimes
I am just glad G-Mac doesn't call the complain about a foul with your arms up defense. Respect is a huge issue, these guys will play ball, and the I agree with earlier, the effort was much more consistent down the stretch, can't wait for the future.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
The transformation of Hubalek into a great post player has been amazing, for that alone I commend GMac! The days of us not having a post game are over, Greg will make whomever he gets into a threat down low.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
It is difficult to compare this team's accomplishments to last year's. Everything is different, players, coaches, attitude, but no one can dispute the fact that this team is better on Mar. 5 than last year's team was on this date, and still improving. Individually, every player on the team is better than he was Oct. 15. What is needed now is work in the weight room, and everybody taking 300 shots a day, ala Jake Sullivan.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
I saw a lot of glimmer of hopes, but overall was not estatic about our improvement. Everyone still seemed a little lost with the exception of Jiri and Mike (Wesley at times). Marsden did actually play A LOT better against Nebraska and Tech.