DG

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
Someone mentioned in the post game thread or maybe the post game thread that is sad when DG is our clutch player. I was reading this and couldn't grasp this concept. Why is it sad?

If there was an all Under Appreciated team DG would be the starting PG for it.

Reactions: clonez

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think the reason many are concerned we have to look to DG in the clutch is, he still can't consistently finish. Some of our great past guards were assets in the clutch because they could finish.

DG just isn't there yet. Physically he can do it, I firmly believe with DG it's a mental confidence thing.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Some of our great guards weren't always consistent, i.e. stinson and tinsley. I'm glad that DG continues to develop, he has improved a lot each year.

Last edited:

Cysquared

Mar 26, 2009
Yes, I don't appreciate DG because he can't go to his left, consistently misses a wide open Brackins and other is the 2nd half of the Houston game and the only reason he was forced to score as he was not even looking to pass.

What about the 2 on 1 break where instead of shoveling to Gilstrap for an easy basket he turns it over during a clutch point in the game.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Yes, I don't appreciate DG because he can't go to his left, consistently misses a wide open Brackins and other is the 2nd half of the Houston game and the only reason he was forced to score as he was not even looking to pass.

What about the 2 on 1 break where instead of shoveling to Gilstrap for an easy basket he turns it over during a clutch point in the game.
DG is by far the best point guard on this team right now and it's not even close. His improvement since his freshman year has been exponential.

And can't go to his left? The last three times that I can remember before yesterday. at the end of halves, he's gone to his left, and in all 3, blown by his guy.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009

And what about his floater at the end of the first overtime to tie it up and force a second overtime? What about his 5-8 from the field? What about his 6 assists to 1 turnover?

If you're going to anonymously rip him, please make sure you present the entire picture.

Reactions: bos

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
And what about his floater at the end of the first overtime to tie it up and force a second overtime? What about his 5-8 from the field? What about his 6 assists to 1 turnover?

If you're going to anonymously rip him, please make sure you present the entire picture.

Your last statement would be impossible for some to do.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
What's the really one true thing you can ask/expect from a player? To get better each season.

I'll say this about DG, from freshman to sophomore, improvement was noticeable. So far, from sophomore to junior, the improvements are marketable.

I think we've been spoiled at Iowa State for having some rather prolific point guards and expect the "wow" from that position. DG isn't a wow guy really. Can be at times.

I wish we had a bit more from him, notably finishing at the rim. But all we can really ask is he keeps getting better, which is exactly what he's doing.

BigCojones

Aug 24, 2009
Ankeny
He is the worst starting PG in the Big 12 except for maybe Nebraska's. Not sure that UNI doesnt have a better PG.
DG has limited ability scoring. Can get to the hoop but misses way to many bunny's for a starting Big 12 PG. Average defense. Colvin is allready a better defender.
Blah Blah Blah assists. How hard is it to pass the ball to Brackins when he was the only scoring option last year.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
I understand that he may not be the best Point Guard to wear a Cyclone Jersey, but the criticism he receives his mostly unwarranted. Like others said he has probably improved more than anyone on the team outside of Craig. He does almost everything asked of him and seems to be a very coachable player.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
Someone mentioned in the post game thread or maybe the post game thread that is sad when DG is our clutch player. I was reading this and couldn't grasp this concept. Why is it sad?

If there was an all Under Appreciated team DG would be the starting PG for it.

i don't know if it is "sad" but it is strange that our clutch player isn't brackins. you would think a potential lottery pick would be able to take over games like these (teams we 'should' beat).

i have only seen a limited amount of games and to be honest i pay a lot more attention to football, but in the games i have seen CB time and time again disappoints me. i am not a pro scout though, and don't claim to be.

shouldn't craig be our clutch player?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
DG is a serviceable PG. He is an improvement over Petey. He is definitely not a Tinsley. But Stinson and Blalock had their problems too. They were inconsistent. And they had Homan in the post. Truth is that DG is not too bad. He is the best we have. His playing style is not real pretty, but he is effective. If you want to see some poor PG play, watch the Hawkeyes.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
He is the worst starting PG in the Big 12 except for maybe Nebraska's. Not sure that UNI doesnt have a better PG.
DG has limited ability scoring. Can get to the hoop but misses way to many bunny's for a starting Big 12 PG. Average defense. Colvin is allready a better defender.
Blah Blah Blah assists. How hard is it to pass the ball to Brackins when he was the only scoring option last year.

I love how you throw the assists out when that is the exact job of a point guard.

I can't believe I wasted my time responding to this post.

Diante is Currently first in the Big12 in Assist to Turnover Ratio, which perhaps the most telling stat of a PG. Also ranks 12th in Steals and 2nd in Assists.

Do Your Homework

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
i don't know if it is "sad" but it is strange that our clutch player isn't brackins. you would think a potential lottery pick would be able to take over games like these (teams we 'should' beat).

i have only seen a limited amount of games and to be honest i pay a lot more attention to football, but in the games i have seen CB time and time again disappoints me. i am not a pro scout though, and don't claim to be.

shouldn't craig be our clutch player?

Great point.

Pretty much any possession should be able to look like this...

- Dribble down the floor
- Feed ball into Craig in the post
- Craig makes moves and works to get a good look or
- Craig makes moves, is double teamed and either...
- Scores anyway
- Dishes the ball outside for an open perimeter shot or
- Dishes the ball outside, reposts and is fed the ball again or
- Finds another player backside running toward the hoop

I loved the games when we had Jiri and he was on. We'd feed the ball to him, he'd kick it right back out because he felt pressure, the guard would pass it right back to to him as if to say "no, it's you - go score".

MelMel

Oct 24, 2009

This is beyond ridiculous and you clearly have no credibility. The second worst in the big 12? I am not his biggest fan and he needs to improve his finishing and outside shooting but either this is a joke or you know nothing about basketball.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
I will agree with Everything about Brackins. He needs to step up big time. He has the potential to take over every game, no matter the opponent. Every possession should run through Craig on offense unless we are on the fast break. There should never be a time on offense when he is not demanding the ball.

I have yet to see this mentality from him, we need it quick.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Great point.

Pretty much any possession should be able to look like this...

- Dribble down the floor
- Feed ball into Craig in the post
- Craig makes moves and works to get a good look or
- Craig makes moves, is double teamed and either...
- Scores anyway
- Dishes the ball outside for an open perimeter shot or
- Dishes the ball outside, reposts and is fed the ball again or
- Finds another player backside running toward the hoop

I loved the games when we had Jiri and he was on. We'd feed the ball to him, he'd kick it right back out because he felt pressure, the guard would pass it right back to to him as if to say "no, it's you - go score".

I never thought I would say this, but I miss Jiri in a big way. He showed some toughness that this team lacks.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Why on earth would we include facts in a post about DG.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This is beyond ridiculous and you clearly have no credibility. The second worst in the big 12? I am not his biggest fan and he needs to improve his finishing and outside shooting but either this is a joke or you know nothing about basketball.

I will go with the latter.

Help Support Us

Become a patron