DG

BigCojones

Aug 24, 2009
Ankeny
Oh, and for the record, PPG is an overrated stat. If a guy takes 30 shots per game and scores 20 points, that's pathetic.

(THAT WHY SHOOTING % IS A NEXT DOOR STAT. GOES TOGETHER LIKE FROSTING ON CAKE )

Steals? Maybe he was just guarding a guy that sucks. (THAT'S WHY YOU GO BY CONFERENCE STATS ONLY SINCE NON CONFERENCE IS NOT APPLES TO APPLES)

40% from 3? Well he gets them all open. GOOD STAT REGUARDLESS OF HOW IT IS GOTTEN. IF THEY ARE THAT GOOD AT THEM THEY SHOULD SHOOT MORE DON'T YOU THINK?

Justin Hamilton should shoot every shot because his shooting percentage is astronomical? No. Not a clear stat because his are mostly put backs.[/QUOTE]

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Oh, and for the record, PPG is an overrated stat. If a guy takes 30 shots per game and scores 20 points, that's pathetic.

Steals? Maybe he was just guarding a guy that sucks. (THAT'S WHY YOU GO BY CONFERENCE STATS ONLY SINCE NON CONFERENCE IS NOT APPLES TO APPLES)

40% from 3? Well he gets them all open. GOOD STAT REGUARDLESS OF HOW IT IS GOTTEN. IF THEY ARE THAT GOOD AT THEM THEY SHOULD SHOOT MORE DON'T YOU THINK?

Justin Hamilton should shoot every shot because his shooting percentage is astronomical? No. Not a clear stat because his are mostly put backs.
[/QUOTE]
I can see what you are saying to a certain degree. Take the UNI game....I was waiting for an opponent to do this to us. They basically played a half a man on him in pick and roll situations and the half man took away his dribble penetration. They gave him any jumpers free throw line extended or further and said, hey, if he makes that shot we'll live with it. In other words they felt comfortable they could beat us if they left him open on the perimeter with the ball.

This is not all his fault, as not all pg's are tremendous shooters, however, he is again probably going to struggle penetrating against the quicker guards that frequent the Big12. I think his stats show he is just doing what is asked of him in the offense and so he's doing a good job...I'm a detractor of the no-motion offense we run though, as I think CC could be a star if we implemented a five man motion offense and scrapped the set offense we run.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Justin Hamilton should shoot every shot because his shooting percentage is astronomical? No. Not a clear stat because his are mostly put backs
How do you know all the other point guards in the Big 12 are better than DG if you only go by conference stats. None of them have any.

And DG's 40% is equal to Lucca's 3%. Yeah, sure. :biglaugh:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
How do you know all the other point guards in the Big 12 are better than DG if you only go by conference stats. None of them have any.

And DG's 40% is equal to Lucca's 3%. Yeah, sure. :biglaugh:

The other guy used caps, so he's confident in his position. You used lower-case, standard lettering, which indicates that you don't have the security of simply knowing that you're right. You're probably slumping over your keyboard right now, using bad posture that illustrates your underlying insecurity in your position.

SIMPLY PUT, THE MAN USED ALL CAPS. HE KNOWS HE'S RIGHT. HOW CAN YOU FIGHT THAT?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I posted that. I maybe too hard on the guy but here are my thoughts on him.

He has trouble finishing
He has trouble hitting shots
He has trouble getting the ball to the open man and the best players on the team
He has trouble creating on his own.

With his struggles to hit shots on a consistant basis there is no reason he should be the go to guy in the cluth with this team. He also shouldnt be it when there are 2 possable NBA players on this team.

As for not having to have a great PG to have a good team, when was the last time ISU had a good season without great PG play?

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay

He has trouble finishing
He has trouble getting the ball to the open man and the best players on the team

With his struggles to hit shots on a consistant basis there is no reason he should be the go to guy in the cluth with this team. He also shouldnt be it when there are 2 possable NBA players on this team.

As for not having to have a great PG to have a good team, when was the last time ISU had a good season without great PG play?
I don't disagree with anything here. He's playing within himself as well as we have seen....however, he's not going to be the great pg that takes us to the promise land either. Until Colvin realizes his potential we will just be an average team.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

He has trouble finishing

Finishing? Struggles occasionally. Have improved GREATLY in that department.
Hitting shots? Yeah, it's ugly, but he's shooting 40% from 3 point land.
Trouble moving the ball? That's why his assist numbers are phenomenal.
Creating on his own? There's a reason he has the ball one on one at the end of every half.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Ok so if it is so far off lets go through the starting PG's in the Big 12 and you tell me who you would take DG over. Maybe Nebraska's that's it.

Might as well leave KU, TX, KSU, OU, CU, MU out of the discussion to begin with (if you know anything about BB) since DG isn't even close in talent to their PG.
That Leaves OSU, Baylor, TT, TX A&M, Neb.

You can't convince me DG is better then any of those PG. Would you take DG over the UNI PG? just curious. If you say yes then you know nothing about BB. We'll see who is right when conference games start.

Name a conference game, or a non conference game vs a very good team, where DG has been a major factor and took control of the game?

You are a moron. Just look at your lack of knowledge of Baylor's PG.

KU - Collins - obvious choice - Advantage Collins
TX - Bradley - more talented than Garett, but stats are very unimpressive. Haven't paid attention to him on TV - Advantage Push, Garett would be better for Texas now, but Bradley in the future will pass him up
KSU - Clemente - solid points and assists. poor shooter. seems to be a good leader - Advantage Clemente, but not overwhelmingly
CU - Not sure who they consider their point guard. I thought Higgens was SG. Tomlinson looks like he would be the PG, but his stats aren't any better than DGs.
OU - Mason-Griffen, I see nothing separating him from Garrett. Better 3 point shooting, but appears to have just as many problems if not more than Garrett inside the arc
MU - Who is technically their point guard? Hard to judge them. I will tell you this, I don't see anyone on their team who would play a pure PG spot for ISU as well as Garrett does. Because of their fast pace, it seems like they have lot of guys who fill that role. I'm sure they'd love to have Garett on that press though.
OSU - Paige and Penn do not stand out from Garett at all.
Baylor - Tweety - ahead of Garett
TT - Roberson - probably ahead of Garett
A&M - Not sure who their main PG is. Looks like Dash Harris quite a bit. Garett easily over him.
Neb - Lance Jeter - doesn't stand out ahead of Garett

Here is how I'd rank them without having seen them play a lot.
KU - Collins
Baylor - Tweety
TT - Roberson
KSU - Clemente
ISU - Garett
Texas - Bradley (probably moves up quite a bit even as this season goes on)
MU - PG du jour
OSU - Page and Penn
OU - Mason Griffin
CU - Tomlinson
Neb - Jeter
A&M - Dash

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Ok and where exactly has DG gotten us in conference play. Where exactly has HIS STATs gotten us. Cause evidently assist leads to victories. Assist are such a overrated stat you get one if the player you pass it to makes it and don't get one if they miss the bucket. Some assist are so much easier then others. Pretty impressive the way he just passes the ball to Brackins, which has low chance or probability of getting stolen since it such an easy pass.

If you watched any UNI's games when GM was coach his successful teams had a PG that could score if needed. That is what we do not have now.

Are you kidding? GM's PG at Brooks McKowen. Certainly not a big scorer and he had plenty of problems missing bunnies. Garett has shown plenty of scoring prowess when needed as well.

Cysquared

Mar 26, 2009
Assist to Turnover is a good stat, however you can't watch the games and not be disappointed with the passes DG doesn't make, that is what is part of the trouble moving the ball. If they press DG it will be ugly. If they start to press, I could see Gilstrap taking the ball up, just like the excellent job Gilstrap did defending on Sunday.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
see Gilstrap taking the ball up, just like the excellent job Gilstrap did defending on Sunday.

We are ****ed if we're relying on Gilstrap to handle the ball.

Additionally, his defense, as well as the rest of the team, was brutal until down the stretch.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
This is a little off subject, but I think I saw **** Garrett last time I was in Hilton in the concourse. That was kind of cool for me since I'm a lakers fan.....anyways, I didn't want to be that guy to approach him and take him away from his son's game...carry on.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
What's the really one true thing you can ask/expect from a player? To get better each season.

I'll say this about DG, from freshman to sophomore, improvement was noticeable. So far, from sophomore to junior, the improvements are marketable.

I think we've been spoiled at Iowa State for having some rather prolific point guards and expect the "wow" from that position. DG isn't a wow guy really. Can be at times.

I wish we had a bit more from him, notably finishing at the rim. But all we can really ask is he keeps getting better, which is exactly what he's doing.
He is more like Jacy Holloway in his role than Stinson, Blaylock, and Tinsley only he is a better defender and does not have as good of a supporting cast (YET!).

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA
The one thing that pisses me off about our team, but especially DG, THEY DONT MAKE FREE THROWS!!! WHY?!?! He is supposed to be a D1 point guard, there is no reason why you should shoot so poorly from the stripe..

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The one thing that pisses me off about our team, but especially DG, THEY DONT MAKE FREE THROWS!!! WHY?!?! He is supposed to be a D1 point guard, there is no reason why you should shoot so poorly from the stripe..

There is no reason to miss wide open 3s, layups and dunks either.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
DG is by far the best point guard on this team right now and it's not even close. His improvement since his freshman year has been exponential.

And can't go to his left? The last three times that I can remember before yesterday. at the end of halves, he's gone to his left, and in all 3, blown by his guy.[/QUOTE]

And everytime he laid it up with his RIGHT had and almost always blocked or tipped. DG and Lucca can not shoot a left handed layup in a game. I don't understand that at all.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
You are a moron. Just look at your lack of knowledge of Baylor's PG.

KU - Collins - obvious choice - Advantage Collins
TX - Bradley - more talented than Garett, but stats are very unimpressive. Haven't paid attention to him on TV - Advantage Push, Garett would be better for Texas now, but Bradley in the future will pass him up
KSU - Clemente - solid points and assists. poor shooter. seems to be a good leader - Advantage Clemente, but not overwhelmingly
CU - Not sure who they consider their point guard. I thought Higgens was SG. Tomlinson looks like he would be the PG, but his stats aren't any better than DGs.
OU - Mason-Griffen, I see nothing separating him from Garrett. Better 3 point shooting, but appears to have just as many problems if not more than Garrett inside the arc
MU - Who is technically their point guard? Hard to judge them. I will tell you this, I don't see anyone on their team who would play a pure PG spot for ISU as well as Garrett does. Because of their fast pace, it seems like they have lot of guys who fill that role. I'm sure they'd love to have Garett on that press though.
OSU - Paige and Penn do not stand out from Garett at all.
Baylor - Tweety - ahead of Garett
TT - Roberson - probably ahead of Garett
A&M - Not sure who their main PG is. Looks like Dash Harris quite a bit. Garett easily over him.
Neb - Lance Jeter - doesn't stand out ahead of Garett

Here is how I'd rank them without having seen them play a lot.
KU - Collins
Baylor - Tweety
TT - Roberson
KSU - Clemente
ISU - Garett
Texas - Bradley (probably moves up quite a bit even as this season goes on)
MU - PG du jour
OSU - Page and Penn
OU - Mason Griffin
CU - Tomlinson
Neb - Jeter
A&M - Dash

Dont underestimate Penn at OSU, hes pretty solid. Bradley will be the next Texas great.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
And everytime he laid it up with his RIGHT had and almost always blocked or tipped. DG and Lucca can not shoot a left handed layup in a game. I don't understand that at all.
It hasn't gotten touched yet! It's nearly impossible to block because he gets so close to the rim! Can't block from his face side because of the backboard. Can't block from the right because of the rim. His guy is on his hip so he can't get blocked from behind. He's 6'4" and lanky. He can reach over most point guards.

and how many times has Lucca done a layup to show you he can't?

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Dont underestimate Penn at OSU, hes pretty solid. Bradley will be the next Texas great.

Haven't seen Penn play at all. Just basing it on stats. Bradley will be great. hasn't had to do much yet.