DG

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I never thought I would say this, but I miss Jiri in a big way. He showed some toughness that this team lacks.

Yup. I always felt he would be a bigger loss than most admit. When Jiri didn't want to play tough, he was awful. But when he got smacked around a bit and got mad - he was a beast inside and really the only way he could be stopped - was our own fault by not continuing to give him the ball.

I'll never, ever, ever forget that home game against Baylor, when he was getting beat up pretty good, but played a solid 2nd half. After getting another shot to the face and coming off with a bloody mouth, he walked right by Greg to the bench. Greg was grinning ear-to-ear the entire time and as Jiri passed, gave him a nice slap on the back, as if to say "now you're playing my kind of ball, son".

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
He is the worst starting PG in the Big 12 except for maybe Nebraska's. Not sure that UNI doesnt have a better PG.
DG has limited ability scoring. Can get to the hoop but misses way to many bunny's for a starting Big 12 PG. Average defense. Colvin is allready a better defender.
Blah Blah Blah assists. How hard is it to pass the ball to Brackins when he was the only scoring option last year.

If there is only one scoring option like you said, I would think DG would have less assists because it would be nearly impossible to pass to the same guy every time and have him score.
It is also obvious you have nearly no basketball intelligence from that statement.

Great point.

Pretty much any possession should be able to look like this...

- Dribble down the floor
- Feed ball into Craig in the post
- Craig makes moves and works to get a good look or
- Craig makes moves, is double teamed and either...
- Scores anyway
- Dishes the ball outside for an open perimeter shot or
- Dishes the ball outside, reposts and is fed the ball again or
- Finds another player backside running toward the hoop

I loved the games when we had Jiri and he was on. We'd feed the ball to him, he'd kick it right back out because he felt pressure, the guard would pass it right back to to him as if to say "no, it's you - go score".

Wish it was that simple, this offense may work in a high school game. Also, with the fast break oriented game we have this would mean we have to slow the pace way down. I don't think we want to slow the pace down with the players that we have

Last edited:

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
I love how you throw the assists out when that is the exact job of a point guard.

I can't believe I wasted my time responding to this post.

Diante is Currently first in the Big12 in Assist to Turnover Ratio, which perhaps the most telling stat of a PG. Also ranks 12th in Steals and 2nd in Assists.

Do Your Homework

+1

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I think the reason many are concerned we have to look to DG in the clutch is, he still can't consistently finish. Some of our great past guards were assets in the clutch because they could finish.

DG just isn't there yet. Physically he can do it, I firmly believe with DG it's a mental confidence thing.

I remember out best PG ever failing to finish in the biggest game of the season.

Reactions: cjclone

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
I wish some of the DG haters would rank Iowa State's point guards over the past 30 years. I am hard pressed to come up with more than 2 that I think might be better -- Tinsley (clearly, probably the best point guard in Iowa State history) and Blalock (borderline on this, he definitely benefitted from playing alongside Stinson).

Hornacek doesn't count -- he was more of a 2, with Thompkins being the point. Others I can think of are Terry Woods, Mike Born, Jacy Holloway. Sure there are a few others, just can not think of them.

eastman

Jun 25, 2009
Tampa
He is the worst starting PG in the Big 12 except for maybe Nebraska's. Not sure that UNI doesnt have a better PG.
DG has limited ability scoring. Can get to the hoop but misses way to many bunny's for a starting Big 12 PG. Average defense. Colvin is allready a better defender.
Blah Blah Blah assists. How hard is it to pass the ball to Brackins when he was the only scoring option last year.
haha your an idiot to say that...
I have notice every timme we take out DG the other team goes on a run and we dont get nothing going if you wanna get mad at someone get mad at lucca... he cant play defense and is really bad with his passes...

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Ron Bayless was another (with Thigpen)...great combo.

DG is a fine PG and I have the utmost respect for his abilities. Did you not see that awesome reverse layup against Houston. That was ridiculously good.

BigCojones

Aug 24, 2009
Ankeny
This is beyond ridiculous and you clearly have no credibility. The second worst in the big 12? I am not his biggest fan and he needs to improve his finishing and outside shooting but either this is a joke or you know nothing about basketball.

Ok so if it is so far off lets go through the starting PG's in the Big 12 and you tell me who you would take DG over. Maybe Nebraska's that's it.

Might as well leave KU, TX, KSU, OU, CU, MU out of the discussion to begin with (if you know anything about BB) since DG isn't even close in talent to their PG.
That Leaves OSU, Baylor, TT, TX A&M, Neb.

You can't convince me DG is better then any of those PG. Would you take DG over the UNI PG? just curious. If you say yes then you know nothing about BB. We'll see who is right when conference games start.

Name a conference game, or a non conference game vs a very good team, where DG has been a major factor and took control of the game?

Last edited:

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ok so if it is so far off lets go through the starting PG's in the Big 12 and you tell me who you would take DG over.

Might as well leave KU, TX, KSU, OU, CU, MU out of the discussion to begin with (if you know anything about BB) since DG isn't even close in talent to their PG.

You can't convince me DG is better then any of those PG. Would you take DG over the UNI PG? just curious. If you say yes then you know nothing about BB.

that's some nice projection there.

can you tell me, with out looking it up, who plays point for OU, CU and MU?

thanks.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
haha your an idiot to say that...
I have notice every timme we take out DG the other team goes on a run and we dont get nothing going if you wanna get mad at someone get mad at lucca... he cant play defense and is really bad with his passes...
Funny. Gilstrap nor Brackins can play defense either, and Lucca is arguably the best passer on the team. :biglaugh:
Ok so if it is so far off lets go through the starting PG's in the Big 12 and you tell me who you would take DG over.

You can't convince me DG is better then any of those PG. Would you take DG over the UNI PG? just curious. If you say yes then you know nothing about BB.
Anybody wanna bet me this poster hasn't watched a single game from most of those teams? Just for the record, the only Big 12 team I haven't had a chance to see via DTV or ESPN360 is Colorado. Better yet, how many of those point guards can you name without looking at a roster? I'm going with 4 or less.

And him or UNI's PG: depends on the team. DG's job is to distribute to Lucca for 3s, Gilstrap and Brackins inside, and steal a bucket occasionally. He isn't being asked to carry the offense this year like in previous years. Maybe you should learn a thing or two about hoops before spouting off something you obviously have no idea about.

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
Ron Bayless was another (with Thigpen)...great combo.

DG is a fine PG and I have the utmost respect for his abilities. Did you not see that awesome reverse layup against Houston. That was ridiculously good.

Good call on Bayless. He was one I definitely forgot. I would put him up near the top of the list. Very good defender. Great free throw shooter, which is always a huge plus in a point guard. Might put him slightly above Garrett, although I think the talent surrounding him was better and probably helped some.

What I think some people fail to realize/acknowlege is the benefit that a strong 2 guard can provide -- particularly one that can handle the ball and/or take it to the hoop. Tinsley/Horton and Nurse. Blalock/Stinson. Holloway/Willoughby. Bayless/Thigpen. Thompkins/Hornacek. Each of these guys had a 2 guard that, in a pinch, could also play the point. Christopherson and Staiger are more spot up shooters and average, at best, ballhandlers.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
that's some nice projection there.

can you tell me, with out looking it up, who plays point for OU, CU and MU?

thanks.
You expect him to come up with those 3 when I doubt he can come up with Texas? :biglaugh:

For the record, I do know OU and MU, but would have to look up CU.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Funny. Gilstrap nor Brackins can play defense either, and Lucca is arguably the best passer on the team. :biglaugh:

Uh, I guess you weren't watching closely yesterday at the game. Gilstrap was playing some awesome defense on Coleman down the stretch.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Uh, I guess you weren't watching closely yesterday at the game. Gilstrap was playing some awesome defense on Coleman down the stretch.
Down the stretch, yes, in the first half and beginning of the second half, awful. There isn't a player not named Christopherson that can brag about defense. Gilstrap and Brackins both get beat to the bucket and hope they can block the shot. Colvin maybe, and DG never seems to give up easy buckets so maybe he has something he can put in for.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
You expect him to come up with those 3 when I doubt he can come up with Texas? :biglaugh:

For the record, I do know OU and MU, but would have to look up CU.

After looking at the stats and thinking about it, I think I'd only take Collins and Clemente over Garrett, although Carter at Baylor and Roberson and TTU would be close.

No way would I even consider Balbay over Garrett. :skeptical:

BigCojones

Aug 24, 2009
Ankeny
I love how you throw the assists out when that is the exact job of a point guard.

I can't believe I wasted my time responding to this post.

Diante is Currently first in the Big12 in Assist to Turnover Ratio, which perhaps the most telling stat of a PG. Also ranks 12th in Steals and 2nd in Assists.

Do Your Homework

Ok and where exactly has DG gotten us in conference play. Where exactly has HIS STATs gotten us. Cause evidently assist leads to victories. Assist are such a overrated stat you get one if the player you pass it to makes it and don't get one if they miss the bucket. Some assist are so much easier then others. Pretty impressive the way he just passes the ball to Brackins, which has low chance or probability of getting stolen since it such an easy pass.

If you watched any UNI's games when GM was coach his successful teams had a PG that could score if needed. That is what we do not have now.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Ok and where exactly has DG gotten us in conference play. Where exactly has HIS STATs gotten us. Cause evidently assist leads to victories. Assist are such a overrated stat you get one if the player you pass it to makes it and don't get one if they miss the bucket. Some assist are so much easier then others. Pretty impressive the way he just passes the ball to Brackins, which has low chance or probability of getting stolen since it such an easy pass.

If you watched any UNI's games when GM was coach his successful teams had a PG that could score if needed. That is what we do not have now.
8.3 PPG isn't scoring?
5.5 APG is pathetic.
40% from 3 is pathetic.
1.5 SPG is pathetic.

I don't think jimlad is necessary here.

Oh, and for the record, PPG is an overrated stat. If a guy takes 30 shots per game and scores 20 points, that's pathetic.

Steals? Maybe he was just guarding a guy that sucks.
40% from 3? Well he gets them all open.
Justin Hamilton should shoot every shot because his shooting percentage is astronomical? No. Not a clear stat because his are mostly put backs.

Last edited: