Declining job offer you verbally accepted.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Adult "decommits" after verbally accepting a job offer: "That's okay. Happens all the time. You have to look out for your own best interest."

High school kid "decommits" after verbally accepting a scholarship offer: "HOW DARE YOU??? DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT 'COMMITMENT' MEANS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!"

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Back in the old days (and I remember them well), a verbal agreement and a handshake were considered binding. Even state laws reflected verbal agreements as binding. I guess times have changed, hopefully for the better. :cool:

Don’t really understand your point. Verbal agreements can still be binding (although harder to prove). But you can’t bind an employee to a job and require him to work there into the future, even if he wants to quit. That’s not new.

Reactions: simply1

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Take the second offer and don't look back. You can just use the line most companies use with offer no. 1-- "I decided to go another direction".

Use the even more classic, "While I have been excited about your interest in my employment, I unfortunately have to go another direction with another company at this time. I wish you the best of luck in your continued search for candidates."

drose1

Apr 2, 2010
Chicago
I did it, accepted a job with an equipment dealer out west. Ended up going to a fertilizer manufacturer with an office in Chicago. Told the other company 2 weeks prior to starting. Best choice I ever made. Opening up so many doors. I never looked back. Just be confident in your decision and know you're doing the best thing for yourself.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’ve never been laid off myself but A LOT of past coworkers were (I’d say around 95+% that I worked with over the years). A lot of people that were good employees and had a lot of years of service under their belt. The bottom line is when an employee starts to hit the bottom line too hard, a large company won’t blink an eye at letting them go. Always do what’s best for yourself and your family. Be selfish when it comes to your employment.

It sounds like you made the right decision. I recently left a company I had worked for since college in a roundabout way and on top of the reasons above, it was because I have had too many people in my industry regret what little amount of time they got to spent with their kids. Some of them having more kids after 15 or whatever years just to try and do it right the second time. Put your family first. Work to live, not the other way around.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I did it, accepted a job with an equipment dealer out west. Ended up going to a fertilizer manufacturer with an office in Chicago. Told the other company 2 weeks prior to starting. Best choice I ever made. Opening up so many doors. I never looked back. Just be confident in your decision and know you're doing the best thing for yourself.
That sounds like a crappy job....

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I’ve had this happen twice in my career. You just have to suck it up and tell the truth. One thing I’ve learned in my 25 years in the workforce is that no employer is too embarrassed to tell you that you don’t have a job anymore. So you have to do what is right for you. Tell them you have a better offer.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I had a similiar situation that went bad.

I was offered one job, next day offered another, so I declined the first (didn't even accept then decline). Ended up getting let go from the second one a year later, and soon after the first one opened back up (which I should have taken in the first place) They basically laughed at me and wouldn't even give me an HR interview.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I had a similiar situation that went bad.

I was offered one job, next day offered another, so I declined the first (didn't even accept then decline). Ended up getting let go from the second one a year later, and soon after the first one opened back up (which I should have taken in the first place) They basically laughed at me and wouldn't even give me an HR interview.

Bridge burning, engaged!!

upload_2019-7-31_7-36-3.png

• Funny
Reactions: HFCS

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I’ve never been laid off myself but A LOT of past coworkers were (I’d say around 95+% that I worked with over the years). A lot of people that were good employees and had a lot of years of service under their belt. The bottom line is when an employee starts to hit the bottom line too hard, a large company won’t blink an eye at letting them go. Always do what’s best for yourself and your family. Be selfish when it comes to your employment.

It sounds like you made the right decision. I recently left a company I had worked for since college in a roundabout way and on top of the reasons above, it was because I have had too many people in my industry regret what little amount of time they got to spent with their kids. Some of them having more kids after 15 or whatever years just to try and do it right the second time. Put your family first. Work to live, not the other way around.

This. When my previous employer finally cancelled the program and laid the remaining 600 of us off the guy I walked out with said "I feel really bad for the people who always worked 60+ hour weeks". I hope that sentiment never leaves me.

Reactions: Macloney

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You people are all better people than I am. I'd just take the new job and ignore everyone involved with the old job until they got the picture.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM

If they're petty enough to hold a grudge over not accepting a job offer a full year prior, I'm not so sure you would have been better off taking it in the first place.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is why it pays to be very nice and follow up when you don't get a job. Some runner up is likely going to get his job.

When I got my current job a few years ago the runner-up emailed and went psycho. Three months later we hired another person for similar position and she went from 1st to last place because of her freakout.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Maybe even collect a few checks Costanza style.

Just don’t jump the gun and find yourself in a Milton situation

465855cf00a0b32ab98f22e5540ead0a8fd8595646216ed154bb68575d97ce77.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored