Deadspin: ISU preview

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Honestly I'd be thrilled if we were somehow the best at maintaining mediocrity. We were solidly mediocre in the early-2000's, and maybe a little in the late 2000's? I'd say we've been something less than mediocre as of late, and pre-2000 we had a long stretch of looking up at mediocrity.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Some good points made were easily diminished by quotes like:

Allen Lazard was just about the only good thing Iowa State had going for it last year;

Allen had a good season, but the young talent (both sides of the ball) was stark to the upperclassmen. I guess this is what you get from someone that doesn't know much of anything about the program. I'll give them credit for doing some digging on info, but generally, it was all pretty backhanded. I mean, we get it, we have a historically poor football program.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
"Iowa State tap dances on this line, as it will occasionally flash its fans with a sliver of light when it strings together a couple five-, six-, or seven-win seasons, only to inevitably follow it by at least three-to-four years of blindly bumping into Kansas and the floor in dark, damp basement of the Big 12."

"Defensively, well, there’s just not much to say. Ignoring whatever the **** it was that Texas Tech put on the field, Iowa State was rivaled only by Kansas in terms of ****** Big 12 defenses last year"

Creatively accurate.

• Funny
Reactions: The_Gent

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Honestly I'd be thrilled if we were somehow the best at maintaining mediocrity. We were solidly mediocre in the early-2000's, and maybe a little in the late 2000's? I'd say we've been something less than mediocre as of late, and pre-2000 we had a long stretch of looking up at mediocrity.

I'd hardly call the last few years mediocre...

I think mediocre is putting it nicely.

I'm picking up on a theme here...

Yeah, I guess mediocre is a flexible term but to me that suggests .500 or close football. And they haven't been anywhere near that since 2012.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I wish we were mediocre in football. To me that means .500. As the season draws closer the optimist in me comes out again. Most years I always think we have a shot at .500, and many years I'm disappointed. Thanks to CW and staff for pumping the hype train so I believe every fall. (Well a least always become hopeful,)

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnWay187

Help Support Us

Become a patron