Deadspin: ISU preview

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
everything in this article is correct and spot on.

I read it on deadspin and got really excited to come to CF and watch you people come up with reasons and rebuttals on things from this article. We have always been terrible, most likely we will continue to be terrible, and we should just kind of be happy that somebody on a national website is actually writing an article on us.

With that being said, if we somehow by magic get to 6 wins and the Folgers Coffee bowl I will be there with all you other boner breathes slamming beers.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

I read it on deadspin and got really excited to come to CF and watch you people come up with reasons and rebuttals on things from this article. We have always been terrible, most likely we will continue to be terrible, and we should just kind of be happy that somebody on a national website is actually writing an article on us.

With that being said, if we somehow by magic get to 6 wins and the Folgers Coffee bowl I will be there with all you other boner breathes slamming beers.

Yeah, it's great to read yet another article about how terrible we've been in football. No one outside of Cyclone fans would trudge through that article anyway.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Yeah, I don't get the dig at Pollard.
Really? I do.

As far as Allen being the only thing to watch, KCM will have a shot, as well as Campos and Peavy led the league in Pass defense. The guy was a little tunnel vision but we do suck. I guess I'll take what I can get for publicity.

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Clearly there was little (if any) emphasis placed on proof-reading in whatever journalism classes he took - if he indeed DID study journalism. Hell, even using Spill Chick would've been an improvement.

Yeah, our football team struggles. I just keep telling myself that it only makes the surprise big wins all that much sweeter. And that basketball starts in November - which didn't help much during the McDermott era!

But why the hate for Pollard? I get it when Iowa fans get pissy about JP. I don't understand how this dude is impacted by anything JP has done.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812 and cyence

leschmick1785

Jul 12, 2013
Clearly there was little (if any) emphasis placed on proof-reading in whatever journalism classes he took - if he indeed DID study journalism. Hell, even using Spill Chick would've been an improvement.

Yeah, our football team struggles. I just keep telling myself that it only makes the surprise big wins all that much sweeter. And that basketball starts in November - which didn't help much during the McDermott era!

But why the hate for Pollard? I get it when Iowa fans get pissy about JP. I don't understand how this dude is impacted by anything JP has done.

Ironic

• Optimistic
  • Useful
Reactions: 0u812 and harimad

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I see no reasons why not, long-term, we could not copy the model set by Kansas State, Iowa, and Wisconsin towards building a respectable developmental program. Iowa and KSU, in particular, are about to navigate coaching changes from all-time greats into the unknown. We play both each year. Why not occupy their niche in the Midwestern ecosystem as that pesky 8-4 program that often takes a bite out of the big guys' behind and occasionally challenges for more? Missouri had teams in top ten for a few years running with outside shots at national title games, and Kansas -- who has an even worse history than us -- somehow made an Orange Bowl. Northwestern has had some nice success lately following that model, and Nebraska and Minnesota have, too, in the past with a similar sort of idea. That being said for us...

HERE COMES THE HYPE TRAIN!!!

giphy.gif

UNTIL ABOUT THE THIRD QUARTER OF THE UNI GAME!!!

tumblr_lt28sfPhKV1r4dytpo1_500.gif

Go Cyclones!

:D

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Well, grammar and profanity aside, you can't really argue much of the "content" in that.

I hope he's wrong, but there's a reason Vegas put our o/u at 5.5, which is exactly flirting with mediocrity.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
People who write like that have an audience that I'm unfamiliar with. But have heart Cyclone fans. Read the second paragraph of this narrative. You feel much better.

https://www.si.com/vault/1989/09/04...laim-to-fame-it-is-americas-most-hapless-team

That was depressing -- but if Kansas State can pull a resurrection like that one, maybe we can, too. We just have to find a Hall of Fame all-timer coach who inexplicably never leaves for greener pastures when Columbus or Ann Arbor area codes ring him up.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Not going to read it and give someone that didn't bother to do anything but say ISU sucked the last 5 years, so clearly there is no chance that things will get better. I realize he could be right, especially if the injury bug hits the OL/DL, but as a fan that has lived through the last 5 years, this one feels a little more promising, so I will keep my head in the sand at least until the team shows it isn't somewhat better. Honestly, that is all it would take. 4 losses last year by less than one score. Just need to finish some games.

Reactions: enisthemenace

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I feel bad about losing to UNI and NDSU so much sometimes. Then again, those are two of the best FBS programs. KSU once lost to Austin Peay, @surly, which sounds really bad.

It looks even worse when you look at their stadium.

gmmq1aixkumfpo20lfn5.jpg

(1.) They play in that stadium.
(2.) That happened to it.

isu_ce

Oct 14, 2007
Interesting take. It's hard to disagree with. Maybe because I don't have the terrible disease known as hope. When does BASKETBALL start?

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I'm picking up on a theme here...

Yeah, I guess mediocre is a flexible term but to me that suggests .500 or close football. And they haven't been anywhere near that since 2012.

I thought that was average or maybe low average.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Our football team and program deserve nothing but brutal comments.... period. Until we prove them wrong, we deserve it.

I like players and coaches that say "We haven't done anything to deserve any respect from anyone yet, and we're working hard to change that.".