DC Extended Universe

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I thought Titans season 2 was even better than season 1. They bring in Slade and Rose and that makes it pretty entertaining. Man, Doom Patrol got real weird real fast.

Haha, this is all great to hear. I was hoping they would bring in Slade at some point soon, as he was maybe the best part of Arrow period. As for Doom Patrol, while it is actually Rotten Tomatoes rated higher than Titans, I'm 4 episodes in right now and also totally agree that it gets weird fast, and I'm not sure I'm loving it. I'm still trying to keep an open mind. Rotten Tomatoes is a really bad barometer in general for TV shows too.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I thought Titans season 2 was even better than season 1. They bring in Slade and Rose and that makes it pretty entertaining. Man, Doom Patrol got real weird real fast.

I've got 5 episodes down now of Doom Patrol and that show has been nothing like I've expected, and unbelievably stupid and painful to watch. I swear it gets worse and worse. Please tell me it gets better. Shoot, I've got 10 episodes left.

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I've got 5 episodes down now of Doom Patrol and that show has been nothing like I've expected, and unbelievably stupid and painful to watch. I swear it gets worse and worse. Please tell me it gets better. Shoot, I've got 10 episodes left.

Commentator: It doesn’t.

• Useful
Reactions: Triggermv

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Jeffrey Wright, who is playing Commissioner Gordon in The Batman, posted this on Instagram.

It would actually be kind of interesting to do the Long Halloween as it takes place over a year and would be interesting to see Robert Pattinson's Batman grow and mature over the span of an entire movie.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Variety reporter had an update regarding Warner Bros current movies, which includes the upcoming DC Movies:

The Batman (& Matrix 4) is still filming

Suicide Squad is in post-production (but could have reshoots)

Black Adam begins production in August

Aquaman 2 doesn’t begin filming until 2021

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
DC appears to be putting more emphasis on animated movies. Superman: Red Son was as good as I hoped it would be, and the new Justice League Dark movie looks really good.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-Spoiler Review) So, I finally finished Doom Patrol S1 this past week and WHOOF that was a painful watch. That show gets weird fast and only leans further and further into it as it goes. Based on what little we saw of Doom Patrol in their episode on Titans S1, which was pretty decent, the actual show turned out NOTHING like what was shown there, and its hard to believe these two shows even exist in the same universe. What we ended up getting was a 15 LONG episode (most episodes are over 50 minutes long) slog of weird, boring, mind-game nothingness. Literally, nothing happens at all in this series. In fact, most all the series is spent in the heads of each of the characters trying to "figure/fix" their own personal problems, which the show doesn't even do well. There is practically zero action and all the weirdness just really ends up for weirdness sakes. I kept watching the show hoping it would get better, but it actually just got worse and worse with one of the stupidest endings I've ever seen. To describe this show from a tone perspective, I'd say it is somewhat a blend of Legion, The Tick, and Legends of Tomorrow, but then ratchet up the weirdness and boredom from all of those. Anyway, I succeeded in making it through all 15 episodes and that was quite the task. As much as I like to watch all Marvel and DC shows out there, I'm going to have a hard time wanting to come back for a season 2 on this one. Would love to hear other people's opinion on the show as well. Hopefully there is somebody out there who liked it more than me.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
(Non-Spoiler Review) So, I finally finished Doom Patrol S1 this past week and WHOOF that was a painful watch. That show gets weird fast and only leans further and further into it as it goes. Based on what little we saw of Doom Patrol in their episode on Titans S1, which was pretty decent, the actual show turned out NOTHING like what was shown there, and its hard to believe these two shows even exist in the same universe. What we ended up getting was a 15 LONG episode (most episodes are over 50 minutes long) slog of weird, boring, mind-game nothingness. Literally, nothing happens at all in this series. In fact, most all the series is spent in the heads of each of the characters trying to "figure/fix" their own personal problems, which the show doesn't even do well. There is practically zero action and all the weirdness just really ends up for weirdness sakes. I kept watching the show hoping it would get better, but it actually just got worse and worse with one of the stupidest endings I've ever seen. To describe this show from a tone perspective, I'd say it is somewhat a blend of Legion, The Tick, and Legends of Tomorrow, but then ratchet up the weirdness and boredom from all of those. Anyway, I succeeded in making it through all 15 episodes and that was quite the task. As much as I like to watch all Marvel and DC shows out there, I'm going to have a hard time wanting to come back for a season 2 on this one. Would love to hear other people's opinion on the show as well. Hopefully there is somebody out there who liked it more than me.
Didn't watch. Did enjoy the S5 two episode arc of Teen Titans (animated version) where Beast Boy's past with Doom Patrol was explored a bit. They were portrayed as a bunch of weirdos with a jerk (who liked to play mind games) for a leader. It sounds like this series was pretty similar?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Didn't watch. Did enjoy the S5 two episode arc of Teen Titans (animated version) where Beast Boy's past with Doom Patrol was explored a bit. They were portrayed as a bunch of weirdos with a jerk (who liked to play mind games) for a leader. It sounds like this series was pretty similar?

Yeah, I'd say that overall premise still stays about the same in this live-action version, but they just leaned too much into the weird, boring, and mind-games I guess for my liking. Again, I actually liked what I saw of them for their episode on Titans S1, but hated what we actually got in their own series. Its worth noting I'm coming in with zero Doom Patrol past experiences from comics or TV, so maybe this is just what they are and they stayed faithful to it. If so, I guess Doom Patrol just isn't for me then.

I'm back to Titans S2 currently and mostly liking what I'm seeing so far, so at least that is a breath of fresh air.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
After posting my full-out Doom Patrol: Season 1 review, the following is my updated Superhero TV rankings to include it for anyone interested. Spoiler-alert: Look to the bottom.
  1. Daredevil (Season 3)
  2. The Punisher (Season 1)
  3. The Flash (Season 1)
  4. Daredevil (Season 2)
  5. Agents of Shield (Season 5)
  6. Daredevil (Season 1)
  7. Titans (Season 1)
  8. Agents of Shield (Season 4)
  9. Arrow (Season 2)
  10. Arrow (Season 1)
  11. Jessica Jones (Season 1)
  12. Swamp Thing (Season 1)
  13. Luke Cage (Season 2)
  14. Jessica Jones (Season 3)
  15. Supergirl (Season 4)
  16. Arrow (Season 5)
  17. The Flash (Season 2)
  18. Agent Carter (Season 1)
  19. Supergirl (Season 1)
  20. Luke Cage (Season 1)
  21. Runaways (Season 2)
  22. Agents of Shield (Season 2)
  23. Agents of Shield (Season 6)
  24. The Gifted (Season 2)
  25. The Gifted (Season 1)
  26. Supergirl (Season 2)
  27. The Tick (Season 1)
  28. Iron Fist (Season 2)
  29. Arrow (Season 6)
  30. The Flash (Season 4)
  31. Legion (Season 1)
  32. Jessica Jones (Season 2)
  33. Krypton (Season 1)
  34. Powerless (Season 1)
  35. Cloak and Dagger (Season 1)
  36. Cloak and Dagger (Season 2)
  37. The Punisher (Season 2)
  38. Runaways (Season 1)
  39. Gotham (Season 1)
  40. The Flash (Season 3)
  41. Agents of Shield (Season 1)
  42. Agents of Shield (Season 3)
  43. The Defenders (Season 1)
  44. Agent Carter (Season 2)
  45. The Flash (Season 5)
  46. Supergirl (Season 3)
  47. The Boys (Season 1)
  48. Legion (Season 2)
  49. Gotham (Season 2)
  50. Iron Fist (Season 1)
  51. Constantine (Season 1)
  52. Runaways (Season 3)
  53. The Tick (Season 2)
  54. Arrow (Season 3)
  55. Arrow (Season 7)
  56. Arrow (Season 4)
  57. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)
  58. Black Lightning (Season 1)
  59. Black Lightning (Season 2)
  60. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 3)
  61. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 2)
  62. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 4)
  63. Inhumans (Season 1)
  64. Doom Patrol (Season 1)

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-Spoiler Review) So, I finished up Titans: Season 2 here recently and while it was still pretty decent, it was a clear step back for me from the first season. I still love most of the characters (didn't like Deathstroke's daughter), so where the season was definitely lacking was with its writing and storytelling. For instance on the first half of the season, the writers spent so much time in flashbacks and giving every single character a deep backstory that it really took its toll on the current story. Not only would I forget our bookmark of where we left off each time in the present, but the slog of the backstories got a bit tiresome as well. Then, in the second half of the season, I just plain didn't like a lot of the dialogue that was written and some of the very interesting directions the writers took with all the different stories, particularly for a few characters like Grayson and Gar. I hated some of those arcs. I thought Deathstroke as a villain suffered as a result of some of this as well. In the end, Deathstroke looked awesome and I really liked some things about him, but I just found him extremely underutilized, and he was the big bad of the season.The crappy arc of his daughter didn't help either. I ended up much preferring the Deathstroke of the Arrow TV series to this one, even though this one had a cooler costume. On the flip side, I'd say the biggest positives from this series came from the great additions and castings of most of the new characters or smaller characters from S1 which were explored more this season. A few examples would be Jason Todd (Robbin), Donna Troy, and Superboy. Donna Troy's costume was super dope. Therefore, its those characters, not the OK storyline from Season 2 that has me still excited enough about seeing a Season 3. Would love to hear other people's thoughts.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
After posting my full-out Titans: Season 2 review above, the following is my updated Superhero TV rankings to include it for anyone who might be interested:

1. Daredevil (Season 3)
  2. The Punisher (Season 1)
  3. The Flash (Season 1)
  4. Daredevil (Season 2)
  5. Agents of Shield (Season 5)
  6. Daredevil (Season 1)
  7. Titans (Season 1)
  8. Agents of Shield (Season 4)
  9. Arrow (Season 2)
  10. Arrow (Season 1)
  11. Jessica Jones (Season 1)
  12. Swamp Thing (Season 1)
  13. Luke Cage (Season 2)
  14. Jessica Jones (Season 3)
  15. Supergirl (Season 4)
  16. Arrow (Season 5)
  17. The Flash (Season 2)
  18. Agent Carter (Season 1)
  19. Luke Cage (Season 1)
  20. Titans (Season 2)
  21. Supergirl (Season 1)
  22. Runaways (Season 2)
  23. Agents of Shield (Season 2)
  24. Agents of Shield (Season 6)
  25. The Gifted (Season 2)
  26. The Gifted (Season 1)
  27. Supergirl (Season 2)
  28. The Tick (Season 1)
  29. Iron Fist (Season 2)
  30. Arrow (Season 6)
  31. The Flash (Season 4)
  32. Jessica Jones (Season 2)
  33. Krypton (Season 1)
  34. Powerless (Season 1)
  35. Cloak and Dagger (Season 1)
  36. Cloak and Dagger (Season 2)
  37. The Punisher (Season 2)
  38. Legion (Season 1)
  39. Runaways (Season 1)
  40. Gotham (Season 1)
  41. The Flash (Season 3)
  42. Agents of Shield (Season 1)
  43. Agents of Shield (Season 3)
  44. The Defenders (Season 1)
  45. Agent Carter (Season 2)
  46. The Flash (Season 5)
  47. Supergirl (Season 3)
  48. The Boys (Season 1)
  49. Legion (Season 2)
  50. Gotham (Season 2)
  51. Iron Fist (Season 1)
  52. Constantine (Season 1)
  53. Runaways (Season 3)
  54. The Tick (Season 2)
  55. Arrow (Season 3)
  56. Arrow (Season 7)
  57. Arrow (Season 4)
  58. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)
  59. Black Lightning (Season 1)
  60. Black Lightning (Season 2)
  61. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 3)
  62. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 2)
  63. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 4)
  64. Inhumans (Season 1)
  65. Doom Patrol (Season 1)
Next up, I'm taking a bit of a breather from superheroes for a bit as I'm switching gears to watching some Star Trek: Picard.

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I watched Birds of Prey last night, and I gotta say that it was good, but not great like I was expecting.

Things I didn't like:
I don't think the script was very polished. You could see the actors really digging in and trying to deliver with not a lot of material to work with.

Some acting choices just didn't work for me, especially Chris Messina as Victor Zsasz. I may be one of the few that was really excited to see Rosie Perez when the initial cast was announced. I loved White Men Can't Jump but her character Renee Montoya never really found her footing with the other characters. Ewan McGregor also had a see-saw performance, which I think was part of the script.

Things I liked:
The directing! Cathy Yan crushed it. The action scenes were all great, the soundtrack was near-perfect, and she got some solid performances from her ensemble cast. Disney needs to find a way to get her into the MCU. I would love to see what she could do with Ms Marvel or She-Hulk.

Margot Robbie, Jurnee Smollet-Bell and Mary Elizabeth Winstead were all great as well. I was most impressed with Jurnee Smollet-Bell's performance. It took me awhile to figure out where I recognized her: she used to be in Full House!
intro-1516724937.jpg

I think DC is continuing to move in the right direction. I don't think BoP was as good as Shazam or Aquaman, but it was certainly better than films like BvS, Suicide Squad, and Justice League. I don't know if there was enough success for another "Birds" movie, but I think Huntress and Black Canary should make appearances in future DC films (we already know that Harley Quinn will).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron