DC Extended Universe

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Mostly what everyone else didn't like about it too. Yes, I thought it was overall too dark, but not necessarily the Batman part of it, but rather nearly everything they did with Superman's storyline, the man of Hope. Shoot, as a result, we still have yet to see our true hopeful Superman movie. I thought BvS was one of the worst editing jobs I've seen in a while, resulting in a chop-shop convoluted plot chalk full of holes. The home-release Ultimate Cut ended up helping this a bit, but not wholly. I hated the whole Martha bit as I felt it wasn't earned at all. In fact, I thought the entire mash-up between the two characters wasn't earned in the slightest, much less the death of Superman. Civil War worked because there was a multiple movie build-up for both characters to result in the movie's tension points. Shoot, this was Batman's first appearance in the entire DCEU and now we've seen Superman die already in movie 2????? This movie should have been 8 movies down the road, not two movies into a universe. I also then didn't like the entire direction they went with Jessie as Lex Luthor. It just didn't work and it didn't fit. Lastly, the entire movie resulted in your dark CGI hard-to-see crap-fest at the end for a battle, which audiences are just getting tired of, including myself. Add all of this together and it all resulted in a non-fun movie where DC was clearly trying to play 10 years of catch-up to Marvel all in one movie. I could list out about 10 other smaller problems I had with the movie as well, but I'll refrain. I'll give it this though, at least it was better than the way worse crap-fest that was Suicide Squad.
I have to agree with all of your points.

And on top of this, the DCEU just seems to have a terrible time with villains in general. It's comical that a Netflix cartoon reboot like She-Ra has a 100x better villain (Catra) than all of WB can muster for any of their movies. (Man of Steel's General Zod is the exception to the rule-- he was incredible.)

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

And on top of this, the DCEU just seems to have a terrible time with villains in general. It's comical that a Netflix cartoon reboot like She-Ra has a 100x better villain (Catra) than all of WB can muster for any of their movies. (Man of Steel's General Zod is the exception to the rule-- he was incredible.)

I agree that Zod was exceptional. One of the best Comic Book movie villains of all time for me.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I liked BvS. I thought the dark nature was a nice change up to Marvel.

This should sum up my thoughts on BvS: I can't remember who they were fighting at the end. I can picture WW, Superman, and Batman fighting on that broken up island at the end. They were in a big, dark looking church building I think. But I've sat here for 10 minutes, and I can't remember what they were fighting. I know Jesse Eisenberg was Lex... after that I can't remember really much about the movie. That movie is 2.5 hours long and I can't remember much about it at all.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
This should sum up my thoughts on BvS: I can't remember who they were fighting at the end. I can picture WW, Superman, and Batman fighting on that broken up island at the end. They were in a big, dark looking church building I think. But I've sat here for 10 minutes, and I can't remember what they were fighting. I know Jesse Eisenberg was Lex... after that I can't remember really much about the movie. That movie is 2.5 hours long and I can't remember much about it at all.
It was Doomsday, right?

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames

I see you like She-Ra...I have watched a few episodes and I have to say it's pretty good.

Reactions: harimad

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Civil War worked because there was a multiple movie build-up for both characters to result in the movie's tension points. Shoot, this was Batman's first appearance in the entire DCEU and now we've seen Superman die already in movie 2????? This movie should have been 8 movies down the road, not two movies into a universe.

I think this was my biggest problem with it all (and with Justice League). Just fell like they were both dropped without any buildup. I want to get to know most of the characters (what Marvel did) before we toss them all into a movie like that together. Felt like they just skipped over a few movies.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I think this was my biggest problem with it all (and with Justice League). Just fell like they were both dropped without any buildup. I want to get to know most of the characters (what Marvel did) before we toss them all into a movie like that together. Felt like they just skipped over a few movies.
Agree. Admittedly, these are all characters that we've gotten to know pretty well over the years, and you run the risk of getting repetitive in your universe building. (Spider-Verse did pretty well here by lampooning it with the whole "Let's do this one more time" thing.) But there is a happy medium between yet another origin story rehash and just dropping the characters into one of the biggest comic-book stories (The Death of Superman!!!) in the line. DCEU needs to find that place.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Peter Skarsgaard has joined the cast of The Batman in an undisclosed role, but a lot of people are speculating that he's playing Harvey Dent.

Skarsgaard is married to Maggie Gyllenhaal, who played Rachel Dawes in The Dark Knight. She posted this photo of her husband over the weekend shortly after he was announced as joining the cast:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Joker has received four Golden Globe Nominations:

Best Picture - Drama
Best Actor (Joaquin Phoenix)
Best Original Score
Best Director (Todd Phillips)

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
DC has announced that Shazam 2 will come out April 1, 2022.

Here is a list of all the upcoming DC films:

Birds of Prey - Feb 7, 2020

Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5, 2020

The Batman - June 25, 2021

The Suicide Squad - Aug 6, 2021

Black Adam - Dec 22, 2021

Shazam! 2 - April 1, 2022

The Flash - July 1, 2022 (this was announced earlier this week)

Aquaman 2 - Dec 16, 2022

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
DC has announced that Shazam 2 will come out April 1, 2022.

Here is a list of all the upcoming DC films:

Birds of Prey - Feb 7, 2020

Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5, 2020

The Batman - June 25, 2021

The Suicide Squad - Aug 6, 2021

Black Adam - Dec 22, 2021

Shazam! 2 - April 1, 2022

The Flash - July 1, 2022 (this was announced earlier this week)

Aquaman 2 - Dec 16, 2022

A couple things stand out to me after looking at this. First of all, we are going to get a Black Adam moving followed directly by a Shazam 2 movie. Does this mean the one will lead directly into the second? Secondly, its amazing how far out Aquaman 2 truly is after the first one was such a big box office success. You would have thought they would have wanted to capitalize on that a little quicker than they actually are.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/suic...e-to-helm-some-sort-of-superman-movie-a172486

Apparently James Gunn passed on doing another Superman sequel with Warner Bros in lieu of doing the Suicide Squad sequel. Personally, I would have preferred he would have done the Superman movie simply because I'd just rather see another Superman movie than another Suicide Squad movie, but whatever. At least he is doing what he wants.